Avant Browser community forum
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: webkit data theft
Poston: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:47 pm 

Windows Version: xp
Avant Version: 12
IE Version: 8
couldn't find any topics like this , has the data mining and data theft ability of the webkit chrome browser been stripped out of the chrome rendering eninge in avant? if it hasn't wouldn't Iron browser which is chrome with all its data mining ability and google server reporting stripped out be a better choice

Post subject: Re: webkit data theft
Post Reply #1 on: Mon May 07, 2012 6:05 pm 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantic Elite

Windows Version: XP Pro SP3 x86 + all updates
Avant Version: 2013 Ultimate Build 23 & Build 115 (USB)
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: IE8 + all patches and updates
Skin: Monai XP
The Chromium project is an open-source browser built on the Webkit engine (it also uses other projects not used by all Webkit-based browsers, like the V8 Javascript engine); nightly builds of Chromium are basically Chrome without the proprietary components (like the bundled Flash Player), and SRWare makes some changes to the Chromium source code (like disabling the RLZ identifier and implementing a primitive yet effective adblock.ini filter) to create Iron.

Post Reply #2 on: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:50 pm 

Windows Version: xp
Avant Version: 12
thanks for the reply , are you saying there is NO reporting to google servers in the avant chrome core? chrome copies all passwords and user names to google servers , can you confirm that this does not happen with avant?
regards

Post Reply #3 on: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:18 am 
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite

Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9
I never use chrome not once but i do know that the actual chrome browser is connected to google can staff answer this for avants version of chrome. chrome copies all passwords and user names to google servers , can you confirm that this does not happen with avant?

Post Reply #4 on: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:38 pm 

Windows Version: XP
Avant Version: 2012 - 180 chrome
Up! Chrome copies all passwords and user names to google servers , can you confirm that this does not happen with avant???

Post Reply #5 on: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:49 pm 
Fan
Fan

Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 2010 build1
IE Version: 8.0
Up! Chrome copies all passwords and user names to google servers. @AXEMAN, can you confirm and provide your references/info that this actually happens for Chrome???

Post Reply #6 on: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:13 pm 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantic Elite

Windows Version: XP Pro SP3 x86 + all updates
Avant Version: 2013 Ultimate Build 23 & Build 115 (USB)
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: IE8 + all patches and updates
Skin: Monai XP
AXEMAN wrote:
chrome copies all passwords and user names to google servers

Can you provide a link to a reputable site that has reported this? I just did some extensive searching of the web (not using Google) and could not find anywhere where this was reported. The only thing I found that relates to Google stealing passwords was this, which has nothing to do with Google Chrome:

FTC will not fine Google for stealing passwords with Street View cars
By: Zach Epstein | Oct 27th, 2010 at 05:45PM
http://tinyurl.com/8ln6bco

I'm not saying you're wrong -- I'd just like to know more about this, but I can't find anything anywhere that indicates that Google Chrome is copying usernames or passwords to its servers (other than those you set for your Google accounts).

Even the site for the SRWare Iron browser (http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php), which uses Chromium but with modifications that are supposed to improve privacy (see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRWare_Iron), doesn't mention anything about Chrome sending passwords back to Google. Chrome does send data to Google regarding sites you surf, but this apparently does not include usernames or passwords.

I don't like Chrome or the Chrome engine in Avant, so I rarely use it, but that has nothing to do with security or privacy concerns.

Post Reply #7 on: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:48 pm 
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite

Well guys i posted this june 26 th your just asking now i can't tell you who but i can tell you he is a superb hacker that should tell you he hacked it himself google chrome the real browser. SInce it is in our webkit i don.t know if that is affected as you read thats why i asked staff to say so.cause we use a rending of chrome i don't think it is the same as useing the real browser. but i can't say for sure. But everyone should change there passwords often just for your security and piece of mind i will ask my buddy when i see him i will ask him. more focus should be on google it's self . I am shocked that anyone would think i would make all that up and post it i am well respected i do alot of other things i am staff at other places as in admins. You know private sites.I posted what i was told so you would know.

Post Reply #8 on: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:35 am 
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite

Sorry about the last of what i said i kinda got alittle angry .Ok here is what happened google chrome was hacked by someone i know well there is a few of them.They didnot steal or even mess with anything they just looked and they saw that this was going on .So naturaly i was informed to stay away from googlr chrome and anything google. I passed that info on to you guys cause i thought it best to inform you. so you could make your own choices and in my orginal statement i asked the staff if they could could confirm if we our webkit was effected. I am sure google would not want to say anything anywhere. and then there was this Google Chrome 21 Fixes Six High-Risk Vulnerabilities

Google has released Chrome 21, the most recent stable version of its flagship browser. The new release includes more than two dozen security fixes, among them patches for six high-priority flaws.

http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/googl ... ies-073112

Post subject: DO NOT USE IRON BROWSER
Post Reply #9 on: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:21 pm 
Contributor
Contributor
Avant Fanatic

Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2013 Build 23
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version:
Skin:
I'd like to just mention that you should stay away from Iron browser.
It's essentially as scam browser and will do more harm than good.

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/art ... on_models_

If you don't believe me there are plenty of other articles out there that prove the same.
The project is shrouded in lies and false claims.

These are also the chat logs from dev, who acts quite slimy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:SRWa ... ontroversy

Post Reply #10 on: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:27 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff
Avant Guru

Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7
I'd like to say that avant only makes use of the open source engine chromium for displaying pages. Firstly, as an open source engine, chromium offers the interface for communicating with google's server is unreasonable, so I doubt the possibility of existence of this function in chromium. Whether stealing users' data or not should be chrome's issue but not chromium's. We know Chrome is different from Chromium. Chrome is google's browser product which not only bases on chromium rendering engine but also has added some extended functions, which may include the ones concerning data collections some users worry about though I have no idea whether it is true. Secondly, Avant only calls the interfaces needed for implementing necessary web rendering tasks in chromium.Since Avant doesn't intend to collect users' data, then in any case, it won't steal data for google by any way.

Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

Post Reply #11 on: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:14 pm 

Windows Version: Windows 6.1 (Build 7601)
Avant Version: Avant Ultimate
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: Internet Explorer 10
Skin: Default Skin
Jasmine wrote:
I'd like to say that avant only makes use of the open source engine chromium for displaying pages. Firstly, as an open source engine, chromium offers the interface for communicating with google's server is unreasonable, so I doubt the possibility of existence of this function in chromium. Whether stealing users' data or not should be chrome's issue but not chromium's. We know Chrome is different from Chromium. Chrome is google's browser product which not only bases on chromium rendering engine but also has added some extended functions, which may include the ones concerning data collections some users worry about though I have no idea whether it is true. Secondly, Avant only calls the interfaces needed for implementing necessary web rendering tasks in chromium.Since Avant doesn't intend to collect users' data, then in any case, it won't steal data for google by any way.

Incorrect! Chromium is also browser for Linux.
Got the next bit off Wikipedia (and I simplified it), so tell me if it's wrong.
If WebKit sends data over to a Google server, the data won't be accessible and is encrypted. It won't be able to be Google-ed either. It's like your YouTube password, YouTube has it but even YouTube can't access it

Post Reply #12 on: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:17 am 
Avantic
Avantic

Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A
NegativeBlack wrote:
Jasmine wrote:

If WebKit sends data over to a Google server, the data won't be accessible and is encrypted. It won't be able to be Google-ed either. It's like your YouTube password, YouTube has it but even YouTube can't access it

Exactly where was Jasmine's post incorrect?

Post Reply #13 on: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:09 am 

Windows Version: Windows 6.1 (Build 7601)
Avant Version: Avant Ultimate
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: Internet Explorer 10
Skin: Default Skin
Tinman57 wrote:
NegativeBlack wrote:
Jasmine wrote:

Exactly where was Jasmine's post incorrect?

Just a small part of it, she said Chromium was not a browser, but that has nothing to do with this topic...