Avant 2011 Beta 3 German translation is done!

Discuss translating issues and ideas here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

HarryP
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: WIN 7 SP1 home premium
Avant Version: 2011 beta 18
IE Version: IE9

Avant 2011 Beta 3 German translation is done!

Post by HarryP » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:06 am

Hi,

German translation for Beta 3 is done and already integrated.
Have fun!

HarryP

Turin
Windows Version: Vista64
Avant Version: latest
IE Version: 8

Re: Avant 2011 Beta 3 German translation is done!

Post by Turin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:01 pm

There is a very annoying error in the German translation. On browser:home the first tab is called "Mausradgeschwindigkeit". The English (or should I say Chinese?) term for the overview is "Wheel" but it has nothing to do with the speed of your mouse wheel. It should just be called "Übersicht".

It may be a minor error but it is so annoying to see it all the time using Avant :)

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:20 pm

It didnot say "Wheel" it says fastest browser as a whole. :)

Turin

Post by Turin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:11 pm

So is this gonna be fixed or not? It's a terrible mistake in the German translation.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:58 am

Turin wrote: It should just be called "Übersicht".
What does "Übersicht" mean then?
You should've known the tab contains the thumbnails of the pages?

I wasn't able to correct the translation before v2012 build 8. Maybe next time. Thank you !
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

Turin

Post by Turin » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:36 pm

Jasmine wrote:What does "Übersicht" mean then?
You should've known the tab contains the thumbnails of the pages?
Ok let me try to explain the mistake in more detail, again.

Browser:Home has 4 tabs. As you said, the first and most important tab allows you to create thumbnails of your favorite pages. It is like the overview in google crome.

The 4 tabs on top are labelled, and the 2 in the middle: "Most visited pages" and "History" are labelled perfectly fine in German. But the first tab and the last tab have German labels that make no sence at all. Worst label is the label of the first tab. It is called "Mausradgeschwindigkeit". In English it would mean Speed of the mouse wheel and is normally used in the options of some games. All it suggests is that you can alter the speed or sensitivity of the mouse wheel, the little wheel that is on top of the 3rd mouse button. So you see, the label of the first tab makes absolutely no sence because there should be a word that indicates that the tab just shows a customizable thumbnail overview of your favorite pages, which would be Thumbnail Übersicht in German.

brawnymike
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: 7 (32 bit)
Avant Version: Ult 2013 bld 23
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 10
Skin: Aero Glass

Post by brawnymike » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:44 pm

For what it's worth, the English names for those (first and fourth) headings are "Speed Dials" and "Recently Bookmarked". Although I don't know German, I wouldn't think that "Overview" would adequately reflect the nuance of "Speed Dials", which conveys "shortcuts/links to favorite URLs".

Turin

Post by Turin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:39 am

brawnymike wrote:For what it's worth, the English names for those (first and fourth) headings are "Speed Dials" and "Recently Bookmarked". Although I don't know German, I wouldn't think that "Overview" would adequately reflect the nuance of "Speed Dials", which conveys "shortcuts/links to favorite URLs".
And here you are wrong. I saw the English names and I could imagine that Speed Dial could make a little sence, although to me it also sounds more like Chinese English than correct English. But in German there is no sence at all left in the translation. It is only understandable if you switch back to English and guess that someone thought that "Speed Dial" would be a great label for the overview page. It took me a month to find out the cause for the wrong translation.

brawnymike
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: 7 (32 bit)
Avant Version: Ult 2013 bld 23
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 10
Skin: Aero Glass

Post by brawnymike » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:29 pm

The phrase "speed dial" is in common usage in American offices. A "speed dial" is an intra-office phone shortcut for reaching important parties in other offices in the same firm. For example, when I worked in the Los Angeles office of a New York law firm, I could reach certain New York office phones by dialing [#]XX (where XX is a 2-digit number) rather than dialing 10-12 digits. In the present instance, I understand "speed dial" to mean some kind of shortcut to a specific desired URL.

Turin

Post by Turin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:30 pm

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I see, I was wrong there. But nonetheless it is translated into "Speed of the mouse wheel" which means just what it literally says. A telephone speed dial would be "Schnellwahl" in German and also (totally) out of place in that position.