10.0 035 memory drain

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

TOMaxwell
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by TOMaxwell » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:47 pm

I recently downloaded v. 10.0 build 035 which has the same problems as most previous versions: sucking up ever-increasing amounts of memory.

The "Fastest Browser on Earth" now takes up to 5 minutes to load EVERY SINGLE PAGE. Can anyone tell me why on Earth a BROWSER needs to eat ANY MEMORY AT ALL? ? ?

So I am going back to the best version that was ever released, 9.02 build 033
Some days, it's just not worth biting through the leather straps :-#

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:05 pm

TOMaxwell wrote:I recently downloaded v. 10.0 build 035 which has the same problems as most previous versions: sucking up ever-increasing amounts of memory.

The "Fastest Browser on Earth" now takes up to 5 minutes to load EVERY SINGLE PAGE. Can anyone tell me why on Earth a BROWSER needs to eat ANY MEMORY AT ALL? ? ?

So I am going back to the best version that was ever released, 9.02 build 033
Sorry you're having trouble with AB. Version 10.0 build 035 ran like a champ for me. Did any of the 10's run properly for you? Did you try deleting your conf.ini file?

Can you post your system specs?

I'm going to split this into its own topic so we can better help you.

TOMaxwell
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by TOMaxwell » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:51 am

bigC wrote:Sorry you're having trouble with AB. Version 10.0 build 035 ran like a champ for me. Did any of the 10's run properly for you? Did you try deleting your conf.ini file?

Can you post your system specs?

I'm going to split this into its own topic so we can better help you.
I'm using Win XP Home SP2, on a P4 2.0 GHz boxen with a half a Gig of DDR SDRAM, which may seem small, but I have never had memory problems, even though I run Distributed Computing Projects using all idle system memory (and have been for almost 6 years, since my Pentium 120 MHz w/16 MB EDO RAM).

I haven't tried every version of AB that comes out, and this was my first upgrade since v. 9.02 build 033. Actually, I did have one higher version, and 9.02.033 resolved the same memory leak problem, but I don't remember what version that was, last July. Prior to that, I stopped using AB for a year and waited for many other problems to get sorted out.

I did not tamper with the conf.ini, and when I re-installed v. 9.02_033, the problem went away, so it is not likely that the conf.ini was corrupted.

Sorry for SHOUTING earlier :oops: this stuff can get frustrating.
Some days, it's just not worth biting through the leather straps :-#

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by bigC » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:32 pm

TOMaxwell wrote:I did not tamper with the conf.ini, and when I re-installed v. 9.02_033, the problem went away, so it is not likely that the conf.ini was corrupted.

Well version 9 stores its settings in a diff file, abrowser.ini, so its possible your version 10 was corrupted in some way. One thing you might try is a fresh install...
1. uninstall AB
2. delete, or rename if you don't want to lose your settings, the folder in app. data(see tip in my first post)
3. Install latest version
Sorry for SHOUTING earlier :oops: this stuff can get frustrating.
Sure. I know, its frustrating when a new version doesn't work right for you but does for others.

rjdana
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Using resources

Post by rjdana » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:49 am

I am also haveing problems wisth system resources. I have tried several browsers this past week and kept a watchful eye on my resource meter. Avant will use more system resources than any of the other browsers I tried. I like Avant and am keeping it. Right now my system resources with Avant is 33% free. When I use IE it goes up to 45%. I am using ME and resources are a problaem with that OS so I am told...Thank you

lh196411
Avant Version:

Trouble with Memory usage - Maybe javasript/DHTML related

Post by lh196411 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:36 pm

I like all the features of avant, but the memory usage has always been an issue for me. It starts up about even with IE. but each additional tab adds more memory (which is expected) - I am also monitoring virtual memory which is where most of the usage shows up - and never goes away! When a tab is closed the memory is never released.

I really started having trouble when I started working with fckeditor (not what it sounds like). It is a browser based html editor that uses a lot of dhtml and javascript. Every time I load a new tab the memory builds up, but if I close a tab the memory is never released and most of it gets dumped into virtual memory. Mem usage will usually go back to normal, but the virtual mem keeps building. Things get slow after working with this a couple of hours. Things started getting really slow last night and I checked the virtual memory, it was over 300MB!

You can try it here. http://www.fckeditor.net/demo/default.html Enable the virtual memory monitor in task manager then open a few tabs in avant and see what happens.

By the way I am using the latest version of avant 10.0 build 35 on Win2000 and XP - same problem. And I did try a clean install as described.

Where can I get v. 9.02_033? If that solves the problem I will be thrilled.

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Re: Trouble with Memory usage - Maybe javasript/DHTML relate

Post by bigC » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:39 pm

lh196411 wrote:Where can I get v. 9.02_033? If that solves the problem I will be thrilled.
http://avant.it-mate.co.uk/default.asp?c=Download