IE broken after uninstalling AvantBrowser

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

zulu2003
Avant Version:

IE broken after uninstalling AvantBrowser

Post by zulu2003 » Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:50 pm

I have Windows XP SP1 and IE 6 SP1. I installed AvantBrowser and after having some problems with an intranet app, I decided to uninstall it at work.

IE is working fine now, except for 2 issues:
- saved URL shortcuts on disk don't open the destination site. Doble-clicking on them just opens a blank page.
- URL links in an HTML email do the same thing, open only a blank page.

I hope there is a single fix for both this issues. I know that there has to be something wrong with the file association details, but I don't want to make things worst.

Love your product!

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Re: IE broken after uninstalling AvantBrowser

Post by batigolaso » Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:17 pm

I really don't know where the problem could be. You could look at a variety of things in IE, or in the registry. However, your best bet would be to try to reinstall IE. It's annoying, but I would think that's the best option. No one else has reported this behavior, so I'm not sure what else to tell you.
"In a minute there is time for decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse." -The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

zulu2003
Avant Version:

Post by zulu2003 » Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:24 pm

That did it.

BTW I didn't know I can reinstall IE. I thought it's 'part of OS'...

THanks

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by batigolaso » Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:32 pm

I'm glad it worked. :)
"In a minute there is time for decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse." -The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

Bobmeister
Avant Version:

Post by Bobmeister » Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:21 am

I know you would like to see this one go away, but I was doing some housecleaning, and uninstalled Avant also.  After that I had the SAME THING...links to blank pages where not even the URL would show up.  

Then IE must be repaired...but my re-installation didn't work because of a registry goof-up.  It wouldn't let me re-install because it thought that there was a newer version already installed (true!).  If anyone else has this same problem, go to Microsoft Knowledge base Article 318378 and it explains a workaround...and it does work.  See I couldn't even uninstall IE because it wasn't listed in the ADD/REMOVE programs listing.

But a little registry edit makes Windows "think" that it isn't installed and a fresh install will work.  Then you will have to do the updates again.  Just though people would like to know.  

It's always that dang registry.....

Jay
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Jay » Mon Mar 31, 2003 8:08 am

Probably the same as the MS Knowlege base article (I was too lazy to look it up), but you can repair IE without editing the registry by using the following directions.

If the Internet Explorer Repair Tool Verification does not work, or if Internet Explorer 5 is not listed in the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel, you can start the Internet Explorer Repair tool from a command prompt:
1.      Click Start, and then click Run.
2.      For Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 and earlier, in the Open box, type the following command (the command is case sensitive), and then click OK:
rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"
For Internet Explorer 6, please use the following command:
rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

It works  :P It's easier if you copy and paste.

MMM, I guess you are right. It doesn't work on WinXp  :'(

ippel
Avant Version:

Post by ippel » Sun May 04, 2003 5:39 pm

Same problem here. I tried everything to get IE back working, but without success. All reinstall procedures and clicking here and clicking there efforts did not show any effects. IE stays broken. Even the supportive people in MS newsgroups were not able to offer a solution.

So, frankly, I am a little upset about Avant. It's a great browser, but the uninstall option should get a major work-over.

The only way to repair the broken IE, at least in my case, will probably be a reinstall of the whole XP OS. That is not acceptable.

Ippel

zim
Avant Version:

Post by zim » Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:40 am

The same thing happened to me. Just so the Avant Admin doesn't think it is a problem with just a few people, it happened with ALOT of people I know. All of them had to reinstall IE. I think Avant should address the issue.

Hmm.. It appears the computer I have at home has the same problem but reinstalling didn't help. Anyone have another fix?

Logan
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Logan » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:06 am

I've had the same thing happen to me and found a fix here http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... us;q177054.  Look under resolving the second cause and foolow the directions.  I know it says it for Outlook, but I don't use it and it worked for me.  Hope this helps.

SoddOff
Avant Version:

Post by SoddOff » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:33 pm

This seems like a nice product, and working for an internet provider I would like to tell our customers about it, however I need to make sure that all the uninstall issues have been addresses, or are currently being addressed.
"What? We can't stop here! It's bat country!" - Hunter S. Thompson

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:38 pm

I think this is the same thing as Logan's solution but here you go,

http://www.oehelp.com/ielnk.aspx

necrosis
Avant Version:

Post by necrosis » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:21 am

My IE isnt really broken per say but when i uninstalled AB it didnt restore my user agent. Does anyone know how to fix this?