[RESOLVED (sorta)] www com

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Chandu9013
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

[RESOLVED (sorta)] www com

Post by Chandu9013 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:09 pm

I would like to see the option which places www. and .com automatically when something is typed in the address bar. :)
D.Sai Chandra Sekhar (Chandu)
Avant Browser 10.1 Build 30
Internet Explorer 6 SP1
Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1
Windows 98 Second Edition

ftboomer
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version: Latest
IE Version: IE8 x64

Post by ftboomer » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:15 pm

It already exists:

type your page name (ie google)

then hold down the CTRL key while pressing ENTER.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:16 pm

First , I'm assuming that you mean other than the CTRL+ENTER feature currently in Avant?

I'm not sure how possible that would be as if it did it whenever something was typed into the address box, you could never type in an address which didn't contain www or com. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

edit: We posted at the same time, tboomer. :wink:

Chandu9013
Avantic
Avantic
Avant Version:

Post by Chandu9013 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:20 pm

It is there in opera and firefox.It automatically fills in the www and com
Internet Explorer 6 SP1
Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:24 pm

It seems that on my Firefox, it just takes you to the most likely site... much like Google's "I Feel Lucky".

For example, in my Firefox, typing in hornakapopolis brings me to this forum and typing in faith takes me to www.faith.co.uk.

Like I said before, it seems to me that adding those automatically would make it hard to get to sites that don't use www or com, especially those that don't use com.

Chandu9013
Avantic
Avantic
Avant Version:

Post by Chandu9013 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:27 pm

Similar to that but not that.For ex take http://www.download.com .If u type only download and press enter or go.It automatically adds www and .com .
Internet Explorer 6 SP1
Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:33 pm

What comes up when you try faith, hornakapopolis, cat, chandu9013 in Firefox?

Again, in mine, it isn't adding www and com, it's just taking me to the site that a search would bring up. For instance, there is a http://www.cat.com, but Firefox didn't take me there when I typed cat inot the address box.

Are you looking for the search feature or do you want it to add www & com?

Chandu9013
Avantic
Avantic
Avant Version:

Post by Chandu9013 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:23 pm

hornakapopolis wrote:What comes up when you try faith, hornakapopolis, cat, chandu9013 in Firefox?

Again, in mine, it isn't adding www and com, it's just taking me to the site that a search would bring up. For instance, there is a http://www.cat.com, but Firefox didn't take me there when I typed cat inot the address box.

Are you looking for the search feature or do you want it to add www & com?
I don't know why u r not gettign.Ok leave it.I want www & com feature.
Internet Explorer 6 SP1
Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:37 pm

Chandu9013 wrote:I don't know why u r not gettign.
What I wasn't getting was that you asked for something and then provided an example that didn't match what you were asking for. So , I've been trying to figure out if you wanted what you were asking for in words or what behavior you were describing.

I see what you're asking for now, but what I don't think you're getting is that (at least on mine) Firefox doesn't work the way you're describing it. If it does for you, let me know as I'd like to figure out why mine doesn't.

Can you tell us what sites come up when you type the keywords in that I mentioned above?

Chandu9013
Avantic
Avantic
Avant Version:

Post by Chandu9013 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:44 pm

Not key words but if u type the name of a web site excluding www and .com or .net etc..It will automatically add them and takes me to that site.For ex: snapfiles it takes me to http://www.snapfiles.com .I hope u got it.Just not able to express what i am saying exactly.
Internet Explorer 6 SP1
Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:55 pm

Yes, I was just asking you to verify that in your Firefox using the examples I gave you. :roll: :wink:

For instance, in Firefox, typing faith into the address bar takes me to http://www.faith.co.uk, not http://www.faith.com. Typing in hornakapopolis brings me to this forum, not my website. I was curious to see if yours did the same. I forget where cat took me (as I don't have Firefox on this computer, right now), but it didn't take me to Caterpillar's website, either.

The reason I responded to your thread, though... besides trying to clarify what you meant... is that I think that it might rather difficult to implement without it turning into a headache. For instance... if it only did it for one word items, then searching from the address bar wouldn't work. If it worked all of the time, then sites that don't end in com or start with www would have those tacked on there and you couldn't reach the site. (Like typing in openoffice.org, which will take you to their site while www.openoffice.org.com wouldn't.) If it ignored entried that had a period in them ( . ), then you'd always have to use a single domain.

I think the key would be to have some sort of thing that signifies that you want it to add it to what you've typed... which we have now with CTRL+ENTER

Chandu9013
Avantic
Avantic
Avant Version:

Post by Chandu9013 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:03 pm

hornakapopolis wrote:Yes, I was just asking you to verify that in your Firefox using the examples I gave you. :roll: :wink:

For instance, in Firefox, typing faith into the address bar takes me to http://www.faith.co.uk, not http://www.faith.com. Typing in hornakapopolis brings me to this forum, not my website. I was curious to see if yours did the same. I forget where cat took me (as I don't have Firefox on this computer, right now), but it didn't take me to Caterpillar's website, either.

The reason I responded to your thread, though... besides trying to clarify what you meant... is that I think that it might rather difficult to implement without it turning into a headache. For instance... if it only did it for one word items, then searching from the address bar wouldn't work. If it worked all of the time, then sites that don't end in com or start with www would have those tacked on there and you couldn't reach the site. (Like typing in openoffice.org, which will take you to their site while www.openoffice.org.com wouldn't.) If it ignored entried that had a period in them ( . ), then you'd always have to use a single domain.

I think the key would be to have some sort of thing that signifies that you want it to add it to what you've typed... which we have now with CTRL+ENTER
CTRL+ETR. Never tired that b4.But it works.But opera did it witohut pressing any extra button.Ok leave it.What i want is already there.So, lety us stop this topic now and don't waste our time.Sorry if i posted this unecessarily :)
Internet Explorer 6 SP1
Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:08 pm

Added "resolved" to the posts title ;)

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:09 pm

Yeah "Resolved"... Thanks for the answer about the words in the address bar, too.

Moved to "Help".

hornakapopolis

Circumlocutus
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: N/A
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

In what way is this resolved?

Post by Circumlocutus » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:40 am

I think chandu was refering to the ability for the browser to wrap "www." & ".com" around whatever text was entered into the address bar (if the text didn't contain any periods [.], much like what the old netscape (circa 1998) browser used to do. (actually it tried www. .com, then another 4 suffixes until it stopped getting a 404 error.)

I personally would like Avant to do this because I like the Avant's "hold ctrl & enter (or hold ctrl & click go)" to open page in the background, but it becomes a nuisance when it means I have to type www.whatever.com into the address bar instead of whatever and pressing ctrl-enter then clicking on the tab to make it active.