Images not showing !!!FIXED!!!!

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

konrad
Avant Version:

Images not showing !!!FIXED!!!!

Post by konrad » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:06 pm

I have Windows XP SP1 with Avant Browser 9.02 build 101 and some websites stopped showing images, like download.com http://img40.exs.cx/img40/2716/avant1.jpg this happens in IE and it also happened in Opera, I'm not sure why but it's happening. The only thing I could think of is Avant Browser because it started pretty much at the same time I downloaded the latest version, the thing is even when I unistall it the problem persists, a couple of days ago I had to reinstall my OS and I still have the problem. I already unistalled a lot of program I don't use and some I did use to see if they were causing this but nothing. Has anyone ever expirienced this? any way to fix it? ( if it's an AB problem ) I know it's not the website because I checked it in another computer ( Windows 98, no avant ) and even e-mailed download.com because I thought it was their problem, but I soon realized that it happened in other websites too, just not as obvious as download.com

BTW, refreshing or right clicking to "Show Image" doesn't work.

EDIT: OK people I fixed the problem, I have Windows XP I went To C;\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc and deleteded the hosts file in there, went to Download.com and everthing works FINE!!!!!
Last edited by konrad on Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
konrad

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:00 am

This is an exceptionally long (just a warning) and old thread that I think relates to your issue here. I had this issue many versions ago for about 2 days, so I don't know all of the details, but I would try checking out that thread.

The talk that I do remember revolved around many reasons, but one that sticks out is the way IE acts with 3rd party download managers... sometimes even after they're uninstalled because of leftover regostry settings, I think.

Try checking out that thread adn let us know, though.

konrad
Avant Version:

Well I'm close....

Post by konrad » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:12 pm

Hey thanks for the reply I went to every link you sent me to but nothing solved the problem, but I did found out something. First off I downloaded the file in the lastlink and tried to install it but it said I don't have IE installed( it's a patch from Microsoft, go figure ) anyway I went back to download.com and noticed it just .gif images that are not showing and when I right click them it shows as Not Available under Type. There was a link that showed how to check if IE recognizes these file types in the registrey and it does, well it's supposed to but it's not, I'm sure I can figure it out from here, if I find something I'll post it. Thanks for the help.
konrad

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:20 am

Wow... you know being here while all of these were coming up, I completely lost track. Thanks for pointing out the thing that helped you the most!

Please let us know if you find a fix on your end.

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:00 am

Something worth trying here would be clearing out your Temporary Internet Files.
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL

konrad
Avant Version:

meh

Post by konrad » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:00 pm

I always clear my Temporary Files, Cookies, everything. I keep my pc as clean as possible, I use Ad-Aware and Spybot for the Spyware and Registry Mechanic for the registry, I run Scan Disk every couple of weeks as well as a Defrag. I went to the registry looking for every .gif registry I could find but they didn't seem any different from the other types of images so I don't think there's a problem in the registry. I have unistalled my AV ( Norton 2003 ) FlashGet, IrfanView, Real Player and a bunch of other programs I can't remember, to see if it makes a different but they didn't. I'm starting to think maybe it could've been Ad-Aware or Spybot, maybe they deleted something they weren't supposed to or Registry Mechanic who knows. Anyway I'll keep unistalling stuff and see if something comes up, that's pretty much all I can do right now.

BTW, I also went to Internet options and hit Default Settings in anything that was possible to, but of course, it didn't help

EDIT: Well I just tried unistalling Quick time, then my printer but it didn't work, I believe I have unistalled every single program I have installed/updated when this problem started or close to when it started, anyway I don't think there's anything else I can do except for a reformat, but since no one knows how this problem started there's no guarantee I wont get it again, I'll have to live with it. If I ever find something I'll revive the topic or make a new one, thanks for the help guys.
konrad

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:24 pm

konrad
Avant Version:

just in case

Post by konrad » Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:48 pm

Let me repost this at the end of this topic just in case:

OK people I fixed the problem, I have Windows XP I went To C;\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc and deleteded the hosts file in there, went to Download.com and everthing works FINE!!!!!

BTW, I do not know what is the hosts file for, all I know is tha it seemed weird with all those addresses so I deleted it, let me know if it helps anyone else

EDIT: Before -After, now that's how it's supposed to look
konrad

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:29 pm

The hosts file was used at an earlier stage of net development to direct URLs to numerical IP addresses, now it's outlived its original purpose but you can use it to block things like ad servers by redirecting them to 'localhost' - your computer's own address. (Of course Avant can do this anyway, and in a more efficient way.)

There shouldn't normally be anything in there except a note and the single line "127.0.0.1 localhost", anything else is a redirect.

Some malware messes with your hosts file - some anti-malware too! Spybot S&D gives you the option to add some redirects here, but IIRC
that caused me problems in the past. My guess is that this is what happened to you.
Last edited by Sergei on Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL

konrad
Avant Version:

really?

Post by konrad » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:42 pm

There shouldn't be anything there? Wow, the file is 22kb and there are quite alot of addresses, I'll say 250+, I just hope it doesn't **** anything up, anyone else having this problem should check their hosts file, cut it and paste it to your desktop and see if the problem is fixed, don't delete it just in case.
konrad

Logan
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Logan » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:55 pm

Spybot will add address to your host files if you enable it.

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Post by Sara » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:57 pm

I use SpyBot "Immunize" and I had no trouble seeing all of that site.

Sara :)

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:28 pm

In further news from your Stunt-Mod team, I'm trying out Spybot S&D's Host file implant. No problems thus for.

For information, I'm using their latest beta version, with all the cool bits turned on including the controversial new "TeaTimer" malware-killer. All seems well.
My Cartoons
: