freeze ups during typing [RESOLVED]

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

n00b
Avant Version:

freeze ups during typing [RESOLVED]

Post by n00b » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:01 am

i've had this probably for a while now.. when typing in a webpage (like forms, textareas/boxes) avant freezes for 2-3 seconds. when my computer has been running for a while, this freeze up can last up to 20 seconds. after the first freezeup, the entire webpage can type out normally again.

if i first load avant, it types normally (without freezeups) for a while.. then it starts to freeze again. i've already tried uninstalling/reinstalling and have tried deleting the abrowser.ini but the problem remains.

when i use IE or firefox, I don't encounter this problem at all. I really do love avant and would like to continue using it in the future. it might be a problem on my computer.. but I don't know how to fix this either way.

avant browser version: 9.02 build 033
windows me
amd duron 900mhz
ram: 376mb
running IE 6

thanks in advance.

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:23 am

Hmm, the problem could be Win ME.

I personally haven't had this problem. Maybe when someone with ME gets on, they might be able to help you out a little more.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

Robyn
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Robyn » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:59 am

I am not too sure if the same thing is happening to me (XP) it doesn't happen all of the time but occasionally when I am typing a reply on a forum if I go to add something I type the first letter and then hear a dong (something like that) & then have to reposition my cursor to let me continue to type :? I have been puzzled by this but now wonder if it 'may' be Avant :? It is only for 2-3 secs and I can type again OK when I reset the cursor.

TOMaxwell
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by TOMaxwell » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:36 am

Some Avant Plug-ins I Was Using Contributed to Making the Windows (XP) Environment Less Stable. WinME is the Least Stable of and Unstable Family oF OSs.

n00b, I recommend that you try Mike Lyn's TraySaver b10, which is a great Windows Shell Stabilizer. It says it's only good for Win 95, 98 and NT, but I am sure it works for WinME too, as it has for me in XP. :)
Some days, it's just not worth biting through the leather straps :-#

Robyn
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Robyn » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:00 am

I do not use any plug ins now because of stability with XP. I do not even use the ad blocker as this cause my red x scenario. I really am just using Avant as a browser to take away any stability issues as I do like the tabs and the 'look' of Avant. The plug ins caused me concerns when I first installed Avant as I was not sure about their 'call home' status :(

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

hornakapopolis 2000

Post by hornakapopolis » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:04 pm

I don't know if this will help, as my experience pertains to XP... but I had similar problems a while ago and everything I tried seem to point to Norton Anti-Virus. Although, a side effect of this behavior, for me, was that it also took about 5 seconds to open any context menu.

For about a week whenever I logged on or turned on my computer, I turned off Norton AV's Auto-Protect in the system tray and would then wait about five minutes while doing other things before turning it back on. I didn't have the problem when I did that and have since stopped doing it and I'm also not having the problem.

Like I said, it might not be the exact same cause, but hopefully it helps point you in the right direction. :wink:

n00b
Avant Version:

Post by n00b » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:44 pm

Thanks hornakapopolis, that reply did point me in the right direction. I tried to exit every program I had running in the system tray and eventually the probably WAS my anti-virus.

I had McAfee's VShield on scanning my system in the background, and every time I was typing in textboxes, I found out that it was scanning C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\iexplore.exe

After excluding iexplore.exe from the scan list, there weren't any freezeups! YAY

Thanks for the help, everyone.. they did help in some way or form.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:09 am

Glad to find out you got it fixed. :)

Added [RESOLVED] to title

hornakapopolis