A few questions about Avant Browser

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

DJSolo
Windows Version: xp
Avant Version: 2.0
IE Version: 6.0

A few questions about Avant Browser

Post by DJSolo » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:10 am

I just started using Avant Browser this weekend as Mozilla Firefox hasnt been updated in a while. So far I'm happy I switched. There are just a few questions I have about it.

*How can I create a new tab that doesnt contain any site? When I choose a blank page it opens with about:blank. I want it to open with no site that way I can paste a URL easier without having to erase the About:Blank thats allready there.

*How can I make hotkey shortcuts to fill in for .net, .org sites? CTRL + Enter fills in for .com allready which is nice. I would like to be able to do that for .net and .org sites and maybe chose which shortcut to use and which site to fill in so I can pick a combination to fill in for .de, .co.uk etc.

*How can I make Avant Browser not keep a history of typed URLS at all? I have Auto Complete disabled and I allready have it set up to clear upon exit but I dont want to have the typed URLS come up ever. I dont want to have to exit the browser everytime I dont want them to show up.

*Is there any way to remove the Window Toolbar in the upper righthand corner? I never use it and I dont want it to be one of the toolbars.

*Is there any way for me to be able to highlight a few words on a website and be able to do a google search on them? Like I could highlight the word 'Ford Mustang' and right click and select Search for Selected text or something like that.
"House is Food and You Need It." - Jungle Brothers

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Re: A few questions about Avant Browser

Post by MysteryFCM » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:19 am

DJSolo wrote:*How can I create a new tab that doesnt contain any site? When I choose a blank page it opens with about:blank. I want it to open with no site that way I can paste a URL easier without having to erase the About:Blank thats allready there.
When your opening the new window, the address bar text will be highlighted, allowing you to simply press CTRL+V to paste whatever you want into it.
DJSolo wrote:*How can I make hotkey shortcuts to fill in for .net, .org sites? CTRL + Enter fills in for .com allready which is nice. I would like to be able to do that for .net and .org sites and maybe chose which shortcut to use and which site to fill in so I can pick a combination to fill in for .de, .co.uk etc.
This one's got me baffled as I'm not quite sure what you mean?
DJSolo wrote:*How can I make Avant Browser not keep a history of typed URLS at all? I have Auto Complete disabled and I allready have it set up to clear upon exit but I dont want to have the typed URLS come up ever. I dont want to have to exit the browser everytime I dont want them to show up.
Disable it in the settings;

Tools > Avant Browser Options > Recently Opened Pages
DJSolo wrote:*Is there any way to remove the Window Toolbar in the upper righthand corner? I never use it and I dont want it to be one of the toolbars.
Right click the toolbar and select "Customise Buttons"
DJSolo wrote:*Is there any way for me to be able to highlight a few words on a website and be able to do a google search on them? Like I could highlight the word 'Ford Mustang' and right click and select Search for Selected text or something like that.
Not yet (that I know of), but I'm working on something similar, so will have a look into adding it :wink:

Edit

Looking again, it appears there is.

Tools > Avant Browser option > Right click menu

Tick the "Search" box.

DJSolo

Post by DJSolo » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:49 am

MysteryFCM wrote: This one's got me baffled as I'm not quite sure what you mean?
Type in a window the word 'google' and then press CTRL + Enter. You will see that Avant will fill in the www. + .com to make http://www.google.com so you dont have to type it.
I want this feature to be for .org and any other domain i choose aswell. Avant currently has the shortcut for .com and .net

Here is a screenshot of the feature I want in MYIE2:
MysteryFCM wrote: Disable it in the settings;

Tools > Avant Browser Options > Recently Opened Pages
I have it disabled and I still have the typed addresses being stored. They do clear when I select Clear all and upon exit but I dont want them to be stored at all.

*How can I have all the settings I changed stored so I can just import them on to other computers?

*Is there any Hotkey to Automatically clear all records?
Last edited by DJSolo on Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MysteryFCM » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:56 am

DJSolo wrote:Type in a window the word 'google' and then press CTRL + Enter. You will see that Avant will fill in the www. + .com to make http://www.google.com so you dont have to type it.
I want this feature to be for .net and .org sites aswell.

Here is a screenshot of the feature I want in MYIE2:

[snipped]
Oh right.... in that case, I don't think you can. You may want to add this to the Requests forum.

You may want to take a look at the URL alias feature though :wink: (sort of a bypass for what you are wanting)
DJSolo wrote:I have it disabled and I still have the typed addresses being stored. They do clear when I select Clear all and upon exit but I dont want them to be stored at all.
Gotcha, I thought you meant for AB only. Unfortunately however, this is an IE "feature" and to my knowledge, cannot be disabled.
DJSolo wrote:*Another question: How can I have all the settings I changed stored so I can just import them on to other computers?
See the tip concerning backing up your Avant Browser settings;

http://avant.it-mate.co.uk/default.asp?c=Tips&s=2#tip

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:06 am

DJSolo wrote:*How can I make hotkey shortcuts to fill in for .net, .org sites? CTRL + Enter fills in for .com allready which is nice. I would like to be able to do that for .net and .org sites and maybe chose which shortcut to use and which site to fill in so I can pick a combination to fill in for .de, .co.uk etc.
I didn't see this brought up, but "ALT+ENTER" automatically enters ".net".

There's also a request here to change this and make it customizable.

DJSolo

Post by DJSolo » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:12 am

*OK, I think its a good feature. I'll put a request in.

*But if it can be cleared out in options, isn't there a way to automatically clear typed adresses upon navigating to a website. That way it will clear on its own. I dont care if its actually disabled or just being cleared every few seconds...I just dont want it.

*Is there any HotKey shortcut that will clear all records?

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MysteryFCM » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:19 am

DJSolo wrote:*But if it can be cleared out in options, isn't there a way to automatically clear typed adresses upon navigating to a website. That way it will clear on its own. I dont care if its actually disabled or just being cleared every few seconds...I just dont want it.
This would have to be done inside Avant itself (i.e coded into it) so you may want to put a request in for this itself.
DJSolo wrote:*Is there any HotKey shortcut that will clear all records?
Not that I am aware of.

DJSolo

Post by DJSolo » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:41 am

Thanks again for the quick replies. I will put those requests in and if they are added Avant Browser will be the best browser ever.

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MysteryFCM » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:47 am

No problem :)

SweetLou
Avant Guru
Avant Guru
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by SweetLou » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:37 am

typed addresses are kept in the registry. I believe if you go to Tools>>Internet Options>>Content>>AutoComplete and uncheck the typed addresses will prevent these from being seen. The registry keeps the last 25 typed addresses, I believe. Then have Avant clear the typed addresses on shut down. I think this will acomplish what you want. I'm not sure if the 25 addresses are there even with AutoComplet turned off, if they are you can remove them from your regsitry.
Check this thread to add the .net .org you want. http://login1.host-it.no/~boymonkey/php ... php?t=5566
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper. -Benjamin Franklin
Where's the dancing and singing monkey?

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:42 am

Also, after making those changes, is it saving your typed addresses "per session" and then they're not there whenever you close and re-open Avant? Or is it not saving new ones but your old ones are still there? Or is it completely unaffected?

I don't know much about this stuff, but it might not be possible to do it "per session" since it's hard coded into the registry. Also,, are you closing Avant completely or just closing it to the system tray. If it's the latter, the settings might not be kicking in because it's not actually closing.

Except for "per session" addresses, I have no problem with mine and I know that I haven't done any registry hacks or anything.