identification script

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

baby_face
Avant Version:

identification script

Post by baby_face » Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:01 pm

Hi there,

I had some problems, and uninstalled Avant.

However, IE does not work properly, and the even after uninstalling, IE identifies it self as when the browser script is given.

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; Avant Browser [avantbrowser.com])

Can you please tell me how to remove this.

Because of this, some sites like my bank don't work. They need IE

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Re: identification script

Post by batigolaso » Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:19 pm

as far as I know, there is no way to remove this. search for "agent id". This has been discussed in previous posts. It was also seen that other bank sites didn't work as well, but it wasn't related to Avant.
"In a minute there is time for decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse." -The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

Jay
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Jay » Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:20 pm

According to Auroras (sometime back) this is what you have to do:
If you want to remove it then open REGEDIT and traverse to the following hive:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform

and delete the String Value:
Avant Browser [avantbrowser.com]

you will need to repeat this every time you upgrade/reinstall the browser as it is recreated each time  

I think you could probably also go to regedit and search for Avant and remove it.

baby_face
Avant Version:

Post by baby_face » Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:30 am

as far as I know, there is no way to remove this. search for "agent id". This has been discussed in previous posts. It was also seen that other bank sites didn't work as well, but it wasn't related to Avant.
how can you say it wasn't related to avant? if the program wants to identify IE as avant to increase the popularity of the program, it is related to avant.

Thanks Jay.

This is not fair practice, replicating itself after uninstalling to gain popularity. just like something microsoft would do...

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by batigolaso » Sat Apr 05, 2003 7:33 am

first of all: no one ever said anything about avant doing that to gain popularity. You can say whatever you want, but other browsers do the same exact thing. It is standard practice for a browser to identify itself as what it is.

second: I agree that it should be removed automatically after uninstalling, but I have nothing to do with the coding of avant, so I can't do much there.

third: Avant does NOT add that key after you remove the program. Once you remove that key, and then uninstall, you're set. If you reinstall or install for the first time, then yes, that key is added.

Lastly, I'm sorry you did not like the product and are offended that Avant adds its identification marker. However, simply because a browser doesn't identify itself as Explorer does not make it incapable of dealing with a bank webpage. So perhaps you should call your bank and take that up with them. If that were the case, you wouldn't be able to access the webpage using mozilla, opera, netscape, etc...
"In a minute there is time for decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse." -The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock