Future of IE/Avant

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Moby
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Future of IE/Avant

Post by Moby » Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:53 pm

I understand that Microsoft will not be producing a standalone IE in the future.
How will that effect Avant, and for that matter other IE shell browsers?

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:32 am

Well, point one is that IE won't stop working, nor will you be forced to use the Windows integral browser.

Or I hope you won't!
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL

Moby
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe
Avant Version:

Post by Moby » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:53 am

But Microsft have said they will no longer support the standalone IE so no security updates etc.
Doesn't that pose a problem?

TomServo
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by TomServo » Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:29 pm

No, they will stop releasing standalone updates to the browser, meaning if they come out with some really new and cool stuff.. you will HAVE to buy the newest WindowsOS to get those new features.

This will just pust people to leave IE and go to Firebird or Opera or some other browser or even OS.

Updates and patches will still come out.
'Minimal collateral damage' and 'entire star system' do /not/ belong in the same sentence.
- Schlock Mercenary

Sociologo
Avant Version:

Post by Sociologo » Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:47 pm

But, what will happen to Avant through all of this? I understand Avant's dependency on IE (and, obviously, on Windows), but are there any plans in the works to find a way to introduce it into Linux platforms as an independentl browser. I sure would hate to lose it. Once you use Avant, it's difficult to return to IE or Nescape--at least that is my opinion.

Moby
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe
Avant Version:

Post by Moby » Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:51 pm

That's my point Sociologo because surely Avant can only work with the standalone IE.

TomServo
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by TomServo » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:20 pm

Avant just needs IE installed, any IE really..

Unless MS really changes the core application so that shell interfaces don't work.

Wouldn't put it past them..
'Minimal collateral damage' and 'entire star system' do /not/ belong in the same sentence.
- Schlock Mercenary

kjnangre
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by kjnangre » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:26 pm

1) There are no plans to introduce AB into Linux or make it into an independent browser.

2) Longhorn is at least 2 years away. That may not seem like much, but it's actually longer than AB's been in existence, so a lot can happen in that time.

3) I believe it will be not to difficult to modify AB to work with the Longhorn integrated browser. I haven't looked into this, but I believe MS just released the longhorn API, so that should start to become more clear.

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:18 am

Avant doesn't work with the current Longhorn Alpha - but that's hardly surprising!

I hope it can be slipped into Longhorn. Possibly too much fuss is being made here; after all it's not as if IE is really a standalone app now.

It would be nice though if there was a way to make it wrap a Mozilla/gecko browser kernel. Actually, if it could switch between the two, showing both in different tabs in the same interface, that would be sweet! The ultimate browser.

Somebody actually built such a browser shell, but unfortunately they didn't manage to keep with developments in Mozilla and it doesn't work with current versions. It's pretty outdated now too. It's called Scope (http://www.farook.org/Scope.htm). Lovely if Avant could carry on where that left off!
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL

Wolf
Avant Version:

Post by Wolf » Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:33 pm

I see in the other posts that the new LongHorn OS was mentioned a few times. And it was also mentioned that Microsoft is coming out with some really new and cool stuff well let me just say this, Microsoft is coming out with a new OS but there is nothing cool about it. The LongHorn OS will be the most controlling and intrusive OS that has ever been introduced. It will be a slap in the face of Independence and freedom on the internet as we know it today. LongHorn comes fully loaded with TCPA ...Trusted Computer Platform Alliance. Open source and freeware will be condemed to die. No reason to worry about weather this browser works on the next IE but there is a reason to worry about your rights and freedom on the internet.
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.- Benjamin Franklin

Sociologo
Avant Version:

Post by Sociologo » Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:59 am

Certainly, the trend is toward centralization and loss of individual choice. I think that the big companies will rule and will find friends in high places that will help them to do so over a wide range of spheres--one of those will be cyberspace.

Sorry to get so melodramatic, but the signs are appearing everywhere.

Wolf
Avant Version:

Post by Wolf » Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:49 am

The BIG companys are the ones that are going ahead with TCPA like Microsoft,Intel,IBM.....just to name a few there are hundreds more they are the ones that want this!
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.- Benjamin Franklin

gfd
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Avant Version:

Post by gfd » Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:06 pm

It's not logical to "port" (re-do) Avant to Gecko or KTHML or whatever... the point in Avant is adding the other browsers' features into IE's engine. There are already great browsers in other engines...
It will be a slap in the face of Independence and freedom on the internet as we know it today. LongHorn comes fully loaded with TCPA ...
Nobody will (hopefully) force you directly to use it. Everyone has been saying the same since Intel Pentium 3's chip, and we still go and buy these things. If you really don't like it, don't buy it.