shutdown avant browser

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

gamez
Avant Version:

shutdown avant browser

Post by gamez » Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:45 am

hello

is it possible to fix the bug concerning the shutdown of avant browser, because i cant close it normally, i have to kill the process manually by ctrl+alt+del.

i know that this bug is mentionned in the forum and known while several versions but i find this very awkward i think it is a priority, isn't it?

thanks  :)

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Re: shutdown avant browser

Post by Sara » Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:50 am

Yes it is.  The latest build (8.02 v012) has nearly eliminated it for me.  If your build is current please go to "bug reports" and report it under the appropriate thread along with any detail  that would help the author trace it down, ie operating system, etc.

Sara :)

gamez
Avant Version:

Post by gamez » Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:52 pm

ok, here is my config:

windows XP home edition, 512Mb ddram, ie 6 is installed
hope it helps  :-/

bigbud3
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by bigbud3 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:51 am

I have an almost identical configuration. P4 2.66,120G HD, 512 Ram, WXP Home, IE6 and have never had a single problem. I have not had a crash or a single bug manifest itself.
I think Fuzzy is a troll !   ;D

roth377
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by roth377 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:03 pm

Concerning the exit bug, it is getting better for most users with each build.  Anderson is trying very hard to fix it, but since he can't reproduce it, it's proving to be a difficult task.
....what smells like blue !?!

Ry
Avant Version:

Post by Ry » Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:13 am

Build:  8.02.012

I started trying to find the proper thread for this (per Sara's request), but I wasn't sure which to use and I didn't really feel like trudging through 27 pages of topics.  :)

Anyway, this problem has been around for a long time, and, at least for me, it is occuring just as often in the latest build.

Whether or not I have to kill the process manually seems to be a function of how long I've had the software running.  After a while, Avant invariably drags and I have to restart it... and it has become habit for me to check the task manager to see if the process is still running after I've supposedly shut down.  Nine out of 10 times, it's still there in the process listings.

My config:

- Dell Latitude C400
- win2k, service pack 4
- 522 MB RAM
- P3 1.2 GHz CPU

At home, I'm running XP and I have to kill Avant much less often.

Have I mentioned I love this browser?  :)

- Ry

Coolnat2004
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Avant Version:

Post by Coolnat2004 » Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:11 am

i just wanna say that this doesnt bother me cuz i usually leave avant in the tray anyway  ;D

fuziwuzi
Avant Version:

Post by fuziwuzi » Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:09 pm

The only person in this thread I would invite to leave is you, but you are having so much fun trashing a great program, I wouldn't want to spoil it  for you.  You'll get tired eventually--they all do.  In the meanwhile--enjoy!!!

Sara ::)
I have always thought Avant was a fantastic program, up to the 8.x builds.  Something is seriously wrong with this version, that is NOT in the 7.x versions.  I want to have Avant back to being a dependable and reliable browser.  Evidently you would rather tow the party line and pretend nothing is wrong.

roth377
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by roth377 » Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:08 pm

I have always thought Avant was a fantastic program, up to the 8.x builds.  Something is seriously wrong with this version, that is NOT in the 7.x versions.  I want to have Avant back to being a dependable and reliable browser.  Evidently you would rather tow the party line and pretend nothing is wrong.

Again, fuziwuzi (what is this the 20th time I've had to tell you this?), NOBODY is suggestion that there are no problems with 8.x.  Sara's just stating that it's getting better resolved with each build.
....what smells like blue !?!

search53
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Avant Version:

Post by search53 » Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:34 am

Just for the record...

The 7.x versions (that fuzi is recommending) caused my system to lock up every time - 100% reproducable. I had to manually End Task it each time I wanted to leave.

I'm currently using 018, and this rarely happens anymore.
IBM PC XT, 8088 4.7Mhz, 512k RAM
360k DSDD FDD, 10 Meg HDD
Bell 103, Monochrome
PC-DOS 3.1

As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing!

taz_eat
Avant Version:

Post by taz_eat » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:08 am

Well Im curious what happens when you try and close? Does it Freeze? Not do anything? Move to tray? I have never had this problem but I would love to assist someone with this problem.

search53
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Avant Version:

Post by search53 » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:52 am

The exact symptoms do vary.

On those occasions when it happens on my system, it APPEARS as if Avant has exitted... but if I try to do anything, the system just won't respond. When I check CPU usage, I find that Avant is still in memory, using 90%+ (often 96-98%) of the CPU. Choosing "End Task" will restore the system back to normal.

The biggest problem on my system is that I cannot predictably reproduce the problem.
Bell 103, Monochrome
PC-DOS 3.1

fuziwuzi
Avant Version:

Post by fuziwuzi » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:44 pm

Just for the record...

The 7.x versions (that fuzi is recommending) caused my system to lock up every time - 100% reproducable. I had to manually End Task it each time I wanted to leave.

I'm currently using 018, and this rarely happens anymore.
I'm running Avant 7.0.5.2 on 4 computers (all running WinXP Pro SP1) with no problems.  All of the 8.x builds, including the latest, have serious problems that prevent me from using them.  Not only do they have the cpu exit problem, they get slower and slower and slower the more they are used, something which doesn't happen on the 7.0.5.2 build.

For someone who supposedly hates Avant (as Sara suggested) you'd think I wouldn't be using it, but I use the older version all the time.  I just wish the 8.x versions were as reliable.

bigbud3
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by bigbud3 » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:15 pm

Could the problem be with XP Pro as opposed to XP Home ?

hippie
Avant Version:

Post by hippie » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:56 am

>:(  >:(  ???
I never noticed the problem until the most recent build, but it is definitely not LESS obvious.  

SYMPTOM
- after i have "exited" ab about 4 times, the system slows to a crawl like the memory was all used up - no disk swapping, but the graphics card suddenly can't repaint the screen, and my apps stop responding.   When I got to Task Manager, i can see many copies of avant.exe running, each using about 25000 kb of memory.  When i kill them all, my system runs normally again.

MY CONFIG
xp pro
2.0 GHz P4 (Dell)
ie 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1 blah blah blah

I was recommending AB to all of my friends, but I may have to resort back to http://www.crazybrowser.com!  PLEASE FIX THIS!!!

search53
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Avant Version:

Post by search53 » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:51 pm

For someone who supposedly hates Avant (as Sara suggested) you'd think I wouldn't be using it, but I use the older version all the time.  I just wish the 8.x versions were as reliable.
On many systems, it is - if not more so. Obviously, on some it isn't.

I'm curious... what video cards are you using in these four systems? Do they have their own memory, or do they borrow system memory?
Bell 103, Monochrome
PC-DOS 3.1

sixpac
Avant Version:

Post by sixpac » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:44 am

I have never had problems with any of the builds with the shutdown (resource) problem till now,it don't do it all the time,but when it does within 10-15 minutes I am crawling,so I close avant and reopen i'm fine for awhile,I love this browser,I know it's hard to do cause he can't reproduce it himself,but I hope it will get fixed soon,other than that I have had no problems since it was IEOpera,keep up the good work

Sinjinn
Avant Version:

Post by Sinjinn » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:26 am

Hi,

I've been using Avant for several months now, and this shutdown issue is the only problem I've seen.  It happens mostly on my home machine (XP & Athlon).   My work machine (win2k advanced server, dual p3's) rarely exhibits the behavior.

I have noticed that when this problem occurs on shutdown, no systray icon is displayed.  Avant seems to be working because the memory usage decreases slowly (as if it is freeing resources).  Eventually (anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes) it shuts down.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I set Avant to clear all record items on exit (cookies, urls, passwords, cache, etc).  On my work machine, I clear everything except cookies.  

Best of luck finding the problem.

unother
Avant Version:

Post by unother » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:02 pm

I was recommending AB to all of my friends, but I may have to resort back to http://www.crazybrowser.com!  PLEASE FIX THIS!!!
Jeez, I wouldn't do that.  I just DUMPED CrazyBrowser for a similar issue with sluggishness...

BTW did you notice that CrazyBrowser IS Avant Browser?  I went to a page that displayed my browser ID and lo and behold, it said Avant Browser.

d3sp
Avant Version:

Post by d3sp » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:18 pm

On many systems, it is - if not more so. Obviously, on some it isn't.

I'm curious... what video cards are you using in these four systems? Do they have their own memory, or do they borrow system memory?

I have a suspicion that it always depends on how complex the pages are. I am using Avant Browser in corporate environment, which includes heavy web applications, and I always have to kill the avant process after closing the browser.

I also suspect it has something to do with keeping Avant Broswer in tray. Probably, the browser still thinks it needs to stay in memory instead of unloading itself.

WinXP pro, Latitude C610 laptop (1ghz, 256mb RAM, 16mb video)