Unable to connect to any web sites

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

howiem
Avant Version:

Unable to connect to any web sites

Post by howiem » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:28 am

Hi,

I installed Orca in a test sandbox (www.sandboxie.com) but it will not connect to any web sites. I am using Windows XP Pro with an SMC ADSL router. I run IE7, FF3.0.0.6 and have Opera 9.63 installed (outside the sandbox - but I run all browsers sandboxed). I have not tried installing orca outside the sandbox yet, although I installed it 3 times in the sandbox so far, but all my other browsers work sandboxed without any problems.
I tried the yahoo.com and the google.com web sites, but nothing happens. The main interface stays blank.

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Re: Unable to connect to any web sites

Post by abfan123 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:23 pm

Hello,
I'm not using sandbox since it's apparently not really needed under Vista, But can you please try to remove Orca Browser from your firewall allow list and let the firewall re-add it?
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

howiem
Avant Version:

Post by howiem » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:58 am

I am not using a software firewall. I only use my router firewall and the windows XP Pro firewall is disabled.I have nver used Vista, so out of curiosity, when you say you do not need a sandbox in Vista, do you mean because of UAC?

Anyway, as soon as i get a chance, I will try installing Orca outside the sandbox and see if that works.Any olther ideas welcome.

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:21 am

I have just downloaded Sandboxie and it works fine here - Win XP SP3 and Orca 1.1 RC4 (I am currently sandboxed while composing this message).

Blank screen implies installation error. Can you try to register the file MOZX.DLL in the Orca folder then try again (command: regsvr32 mozx.dll).

howiem
Avant Version:

Post by howiem » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:39 pm

Kudos, thanks for the info. I am reinstalling now in the sandbox. After the install was completed in an empty test sandbox, got the error that the application is unable to start because xpcom_core.dll was not found, and to try a reinstall. So I did a reinstall and when it completed and tried to launch Orca, nothing happened. But then I found a message in Thai that did not grab focus, and I clicked OK (It was the default browser check), and saw the Orca splash screen. Then I got an error from my Roboform that it doesn't support the version of Firefox I'm using (understandable), and then I got the missing xpcom_core.dll error again, but this time I could open web pages, starting with the Orca home page, then Yahoo.com, google and MS. I closed down Orca and searched for the xpcom_core.dll file and it was missing. So I ran the program from within the sandbox, and this time it would not load any pages. I tried regsvr32 mozx.dll but was told by windows that the specified module could not be found. Did you install Orca outside of the sandbox first and then run it in the sandbox?

Anyway, I just tried installing it out of the sandbox and the sequence of events was exactly the same as above, including not being able to register the mozx.dll

Is there a link to the version of Orca that installs with English as the default?

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:23 pm

RoboForm is currently NOT compatible with Orca - that is what is generating the xpcom_core.dll error message. Please delete it from Orca - you can still use it in Firefox though.

To register the file, execute the command from the Orca install folder, or use the complete path to the file. You must be logged in as an administrator to register files.

The latest version of Orca can be downloaded here. English is the default language unless you changed your settings. You can try deleting your settings - they are stored in %appdata%\Orca Porfiles\ and you probably also have sandboxed settings in C:\Sandbox\...

I had Orca installed already. I then dragged Orca.exe into the sandbox window to start a sandboxed version.

howiem
Avant Version:

Post by howiem » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:49 pm

Thanks, I see the problem now, so it should work. Will advise if it doesn't

howiem
Avant Version:

Post by howiem » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:27 am

"RoboForm is currently NOT compatible with Orca - that is what is generating the xpcom_core.dll error message. Please delete it from Orca "
I can't find anything like roboform in Orca
"To register the file, execute the command from the Orca install folder"
If you mean run the complete path, I tried Start |Run regsvr32 D:\Program Files\Orca Browser\mozx.dll and still got an error Load Library (D:\Program") failed. The specified module could not be found.
This time the default browser selection did come up English, but I didn't change anything and used the original download. I am going to try the download you gave me and see what happens.

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:27 am

howiem wrote:I can't find anything like roboform in Orca
Check in Tools -> Mozilla Addons -> Extensions / Plugins (not sure which - I don't use RoboForm)
howiem wrote:If you mean run the complete path, I tried Start |Run regsvr32 D:\Program Files\Orca Browser\mozx.dll and still got an error Load Library (D:\Program") failed. The specified module could not be found.
Use quotes around long filenames: Start|Run regsvr32 "D:\Program Files\Orca Browser\mozx.dll"

howiem
Avant Version:

Post by howiem » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:51 am

kudos wrote:
howiem wrote:I can't find anything like roboform in Orca
Check in Tools -> Mozilla Addons -> Extensions / Plugins (not sure which - I don't use RoboForm)

No there is nothing there - when I click on Mozilla Addons, nothing happens. What I do see is that when I start Orca, Roboform is trying to open, but can't and sort of stutters up the screen (too quickly to capture) and then disappears. It appears under View | Toolbars | oboform, but when either checked or not checked it doesn't change the behavior of Orca.
howiem wrote:If you mean run the complete path, I tried Start |Run regsvr32 D:\Program Files\Orca Browser\mozx.dll and still got an error Load Library (D:\Program") failed. The specified module could not be found.
Use quotes around long filenames: Start|Run regsvr32 "D:\Program Files\Orca Browser\mozx.dll"
Thank you. I got it registered. Haven't had to do that in so long, I had forgotten.

Current status: When I load Orca, get the xpcom_core.dll error, the Roboform toolbar seems to try and open, but sort of stutters up the screen and disappears just below the tabs. (all of this testing is now outside the sandbox). . I have searched my computer (incl hidden and system files) but cannot find anything indicating a connection between orca and roboform

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:17 am

Is the result the same in the sandbox and running normally? Did you delete Orca's settings as suggested? Look for folders named .default (note the dot) in the all following places and delete them all:

Orca's installation folder
%appdata%\Orca Profiles
Search all of C:\Sandbox\ and D:\Sandbox\ etc

howiem
Avant Version:

Post by howiem » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:34 am

No, I had not deleted the .default folder, but when I did, Orca worked even though I got the xpcom_core.dll error both when I started up and the browser, and after I got the warning message that Roboform would not work with the browser. When I clicked Ok on that message, I got the xpcom.dll error again and was able to load web sites. But after closing Orca and reopening it, I was back to square 1 - the original problems. I tried this again (deleting the .default folder) with the same results. It appears that the problem is in in that folder, but since it gets recreated after deletion it seems that it is reimporting unusable Roboform code each time.

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:36 am

Does this happen outside of the sandbox?

howiem
Avant Version:

Post by howiem » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:30 am

I deleted the sandbox and everything in it and am testing Orca completely outside of the sandbox

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:25 am

What is the exact problem? (i) cannot load pages (ii) RoboForm xpcom.dll error (iii) both i and ii
Try creating a new user in XP and running Orca from that profile.

howiem
Avant Version:

Post by howiem » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:43 pm

kudos wrote:What is the exact problem? (i) cannot load pages (ii) RoboForm xpcom.dll error (iii) both i and ii
Try creating a new user in XP and running Orca from that profile.
The answer to the first is both.

As for the second,it does work even though I am getting the same xpcom_core.dll error. Anyway I want to try something else and will get back to you.

howiem
Avant Version:

Post by howiem » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:04 pm

I tried a few other things that did not help, but it seems that when I get the re-open window is when the browser fails to function (load pages). For a brief time I was getting Orca.exe can't initialize, then that stopped after a reinstall.. henI delete the .default folder, I have noticed that when I right click anything in the main window, I get the xpcom_core.dll error.
When I got it working in the other user profile, I checked to see and Roboform is installed for all users. So I don't know what to try next.

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:01 pm

Can you try removing Roboform completely from your system. The file xpcom_core.dll is not an Orca file - it is a Firefox file that is associated with extensions and addons. Maybe you have other extensions that use xpcom_core.dll - try deleting those too. Once Orca works correctly we can identify the culprit.

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:50 pm

Just a correction as far as Vista is concerned, if you can Sandbox the browser, SANDBOX IT if you aren't experienced in malware protection and removal! Contrary to popular believe, Vista, even with UAC enabled and running a limited account, is NOT adequate protection.