Orca highly problematic before, now won't even open

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

garciam25
Windows Version: XP 32-bit
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: 7

Orca highly problematic before, now won't even open

Post by garciam25 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:23 pm

First, I'd like to say how much I've appreciated the Avant team - I've used Avant for MANY years, and just recently deleted my installation files for Avant 8.X and 9.X. I honestly think it is the best browser on earth, hands down. I caught the Firefox bug from friends, and wanted to switch after seeing how much faster it was than IE, but didn't want to lose my Avant - enter Orca.

Here are my specs:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+ CPU
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Motherboard
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005 (32-bit)
Orca Browser 1.1-RC3
Firefox 3.0.6

At first, I had issues with the browser crashing out of the blue when opening pages or adding bookmarks. I chalked it up to normal Avant problems (randomly, Avant would consume itself when adding bookmarks for some odd reason), but things started getting worse. After restarting, Orca wouldn't even go to the webpages that were previously opened; when opening, it would remind me that it didn't shut down properly last time, and when clicking OK that it was safe to open all tabs again, they would sit there doing nothing. I would click on my autofills for sites like Gmail and eBay, it would tell me that there were more than one form on the page (which there aren't) and to enter login information manually---then promptly close itself.

NOW, things have got even worse - the program will open, ask me about the tabs since the last shut down, and close immediately before I can even say OK or Cancel. It takes about 2 seconds before immediate shut-down. I managed to click Cancel quickly one time, and now it won't even open Google.com.

I don't have a screen shot of this because there's nothing to take a picture of! I've uninstalled, re-installed, upgraded to the newest versions of everything, same problems. Firewalls are allowed, proxy is off, all that good stuff has already been examined - I read similar problems with others not being able to connect to the internet, and that isn't the case with this. It CAN connect on certain occasions, it choses not to depending on how many times I have to kill the process in the Task Manager. I have literally run this program with no system resources, no open programs other than MS Exlporer, and the problems still occur. It looks like I'm going to have to go back to Avant and SLOW IE until these problems get resolved in the full version......

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Re: Orca highly problematic before, now won't even open

Post by kudos » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:56 pm

Unfortunately, that is quite common running under XP - I've been told that Orca is much more stable with Vista.

To resolve your problem:

Browse to %appdata"\Orca Profiles\.default
Delete the folder mozdata
Restart Orca

garciam25

Post by garciam25 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:03 pm

folder deleted........ no change........

I'm building a Vista computer which won't be done until Windows 7 comes out, I'll bet. Will most likely hold out until then. Trying Google Chrome now, and even though it is blazing fast, like Firefox or IE before it, missing all my Avant / Orca features..... Thanks for your help, though!

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:18 pm

Try deleting the whole .default folder - sometimes the main settings become corrupted.

garciam25

Post by garciam25 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:27 pm

ENTIRE .default folder deleted....... all settings reverted back to factory.......

still sits there doing nothing when I try to browse any site! it says "waiting for XXX" in the status bar, then closes itself after a few mins of "waiting"

:evil:

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:46 pm

Are any Firefox plugins/extensions installed on your computer? If so try deleting them. Are you running latest Orca v1.1.RC3 SR1?

garciam25

Post by garciam25 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:57 pm

I downloaded the present version TODAY, don't know if it was SR1, but I saw RC3 on the main page when downloading.

I had Firefox extensions installed, just uninstalled all of them, not sure if that is what you meant by "deleting them." Here are the list of currently installed extensions AND plug-ins:

Extensions:
AVG Safe Search 8.0
Java Quick Starter 1.0

Plug-Ins:
2007 Microsoft Office system
Adobe Acrobat
Google Update
Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U11 (two of these listed)
Microsoft Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin
Mozilla Default Plugin
Picasa
QuickTime Plug-in 7.6
Shockwave Flash
Silverlight Plug-in

The only options listed for the remaining extensions/plugins is to "disable" them, not "uninstall" like the rest were......

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:20 pm

My bet would be on the AVG extension - try uninstalling that too (I have no extensions installed).