Orca on newest Windows 7 ?? Yes ^^

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

defUS3R
Windows Version: W2k + SP4 / W2k3 + SP2
Avant Version: n/a
IE Version: i don't use it

Orca on newest Windows 7 ?? Yes ^^

Post by defUS3R » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:51 am

Hello

I know that Orca Browser was not designed to work on Windows 7 but i've started test it on this system anyway :P Tested on version Orca Browser 1.1 RC3 - So all i can say for now is that Orca work just fine on Beta version Windows 7 Ultimate :thumbup: You don't need any compatibility mode to activate with previous Windows system versions (Orca run as it is installed) and you don't need to Run as Administrator option too (but i recommend it just in case - i seems that Orca work more stable because sites load faster when i check Run as Administrator than as it is in normal mode).
Some Mozilla plugins work correctly too - for now i've installed only NoScript, ADBlock, Clear Private Data, Tamper Data, WOT, English and Polish Dictionary, Flashblock, Shazou, Thumbnail Expander.
As i wrote - i know that Orca was not developed to work on Windows 7 but i think it is worth to interrest this system, because as unofficial message spoke :wink: Windows 7 can show up on market nearly end of this year :) and i think many people will buy it and start to use it (for ex. me :wink:).
That's all for now - if anyone try to run and test Orca on Windows 7 feel free to write your experiences in this topic.

cheers ^^

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Re: Orca on newest Windows 7 ?? Yes ^^

Post by AXEMAN » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:44 pm

Hello defUS3R thanks for the info bro. :)

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:54 pm

Did you try on both 32bit and 64bit? I assume that where Firefox goes, Orca follows.

[OT] What version of IE does Windows 7 have - version 7 or 8?

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Post by abfan123 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:24 pm

Windows 7 comes with some pre-RC build of IE8 which is newer than Beta 2 but older than the currently released one.
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

defUS3R

Post by defUS3R » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:06 pm

kudos wrote:Did you try on both 32bit and 64bit? I assume that where Firefox goes, Orca follows.
For now i test Orca only under 32bit Windows 7 version. Is seems there is not major problems. But if someone test it on Windows 7 64bit - it will be very good indeed ^^

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:44 pm

Please someone correct me if Im wrong. But, running Orca or any browser for that matter using "Run as Administrator" defeats the purpose of having UAC in the very place that UAC is most useful. It gives the browser full privilages when it doesn't need them. So if you visit a website that has malicious code that runs when you visit that site then since the browser already has the priviliages to do whatever it wants that malicious code has free reign to install whatever it wants because as far as I know Avant doesn't tap into IE's Protected Mode status. Obviously this is for Vista and up.

In other words its a bad idea to run Avant, Orca, and any other browser with "Run as Administrator" enabled full time. Unless the browser explicitly gives you a UAC prompt.
-- Matt --

defUS3R

Post by defUS3R » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:02 am

This is true, that's why a wrote:
and you don't need to Run as Administrator option
to launch Orca.
But there are some other posibilities to more secure you computer and browser - like some Mozilla plugins which Orca can run and this plugins block many of this "malicious code" IRT and do not let them to execute :wink: even if browser is launched with administrator privileges :) I've tested personally 8) and still testing..

statm1

Post by statm1 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:41 pm

Well, you did "recommend" to run "Run as Administrator" full time because you said Orca ran more stable that way. But, I havent noticed any stability issues that would require Orca to run full time with Admin priviliages.
-- Matt --

defUS3R

Post by defUS3R » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:57 pm

You don't - i do. I think it depends on machine. So let's say it that way: if someone try to run Orca under Windows 7 and browser is full functional without active Run as administrator option, leave it that way, but if you see pages loading too slow or Orca main process (exe) have problems with running - try active Run as administrator option, for me it helped. But first of all just have in mind that Orca was not designed (yet) to ran under Windows 7 - it is still just a curio ;)

statm1

Post by statm1 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:45 am

It doesnt matter how much faster it gets using Run as Administrator. Its a bad security decision to run any browser with full admin privilages.

Plus I doubt it has to do with how Orca was not yet designed for Windows 7 is how the Gecko rendering engine has been updated for Windows 7. Do you get the same results from Firefox?
-- Matt --

defUS3R

Post by defUS3R » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:36 pm

statm1 wrote:Do you get the same results from Firefox?
A don't use this... browser... :roll: and i'm not interred to do this.

statm1

Post by statm1 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:38 pm

Well, if you ever do use Firefox and its slow and it gets faster if you use Run as Administrator.. Then its not Orca's fault that its slow.
-- Matt --