Is there a "Safe Mode" for Orca?

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

agraner
Windows Version: XP HOME SP3
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 7
IE Version: 7

Is there a "Safe Mode" for Orca?

Post by agraner » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:14 pm

Hi,

I installed the latest version of piclens into the latest version of Orca and tried to restart. Orca crashes before even displaying anything with a "browser.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." error.
Clicking more info says shows AppName: orca.exe AppVer: 1.1.0.1 ModName: piclensstub.dll ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0000139e so I am assuming that it is with piclens that the trouble lies.

My question then is, is there any way to start Orca in Safe Mode to disable all any extensions? Barring that, where does the installer put the offending DLL so I can remove it? I am not able to find it.

Thanks!
Andrew

Nomikos
Windows Version: XP
Avant Version: 11
IE Version: 7.0

Re: Is there a "Safe Mode" for Orca?

Post by Nomikos » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:29 pm

Unfortunately, I do not know of anyway that Orca can be started in "safe" mode. You could do a search through Windows Explorer for piclensstub.dll and delete it; cross your fingers, and fire up Orca. It is possible that it might work. However, piclens (the cooliris folk) also put a new folder under your extensions folder so just getting rid of the .dll may not resuscitate Orca.

The best thing to do is start from scratch. Uninstall Orca. The uinstaller won't take out everything and in your case, you will need to remove everything. So, using Windows Explorer go to c:\Documents and Settings\"yourname"\Application Data\Orca Profiles. Erase the whole folder that says Orca Profiles. You will lose your passwords, bookmarks, etc., but you will be able to create a clean install. Be sure to download the latest version of Orca.

agraner
Windows Version: XP HOME SP3
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 7
IE Version: 7

Re: Is there a "Safe Mode" for Orca?

Post by agraner » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:45 pm

Thanks for the tip but I was able to solve it by searching for the dll name and then deleting the folder it was in, which was in the extension folder in a hidden folder in Docs and Settings