orca crashing but it said BROWSER.exe

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

andy2004
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

orca crashing but it said BROWSER.exe

Post by andy2004 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:05 pm

Hi orca crashes with a browser.exe has encountered a problem. see pic, but i've run a registry scan and a file scan for browser.exe neither of which is found, i did have browser.exe which was a avantbrowser beta, but i cleaned the registry of all browser.exe, i've run an antivirus scan using kaspersky, and 3 spyware scans using spybot, superantispyware and malwarebytes so now i'm lost to why it would crash with a browser.exe has encountered a problem
screenshot of the crash.

Nomikos
Windows Version: XP
Avant Version: 11
IE Version: 7.0

Re: orca crashing but it said BROWSER.exe

Post by Nomikos » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:47 pm

In an early alpha version of Orca, the programmer used browser.exe as the memory name for Orca rather than Orca.exe. If you bring up the taskmanager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc), and click on the tab Processes, it will list all of the programs running.

Early on I noticed that the programmer had utilized browser.exe for Orca and when you would go to new page, a second instance of browser.exe would be started, then shut down. This technique seemed to keep the memory usage down. I do not believe that the later alpha's or beta's now use browser.exe though the same technique is utilized when you switch from page to page. Bring up your taskmanager and go to different sites in Orca and you will see it will start a second instant of orca.exe and then close it. Most probably you have a memory conflict or video driver conflict. Browser.exe used to be the old Netscape designation for its browser.

andy2004
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by andy2004 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:28 pm

browser.exe was also used by avantbrowser when it was a beta version. I remember after installing a beta of avantbrowser i found a browser.exe in that folder. But as i had removed avantbrowser after installing orca and completely removed the avantbrowser folder and as i never installed netscape on this OS, that is the only thing i can think off.

Nomikos

Post by Nomikos » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:35 pm

@andy2004 - browser.exe would not show up in a folder or a subfolder. Every program that is running is given a name in the taskmanager. To bring up the taskmanager hold down the keys Ctrl-Shift-ESC simultaneously. After the first couple of Alpha versions of Orca, the memory name changed from browser.exe to orca.exe.

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:45 pm

Browser.exe was in the Avant and Orca folders in program files in the early alphas Nomikos. So it did show up in the folders after they installed them..
-- Matt --

Nomikos

Post by Nomikos » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:44 pm

I gladly stand corrected.