Firefox 3 Update for ORCA?

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Kand.in.Sky
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3 (incl. all Updates)
Avant Version: PaleMoon 21+ (always latest)
Default engine: Mozilla
IE Version: 8 (latest for XP)
Skin: Qute 3++ (for PaleMoon)

Firefox 3 Update for ORCA?

Post by Kand.in.Sky » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:15 am

I've tried several times to upgrade ORCA to FF3 with no results at all.

Is it possible? Anyone more luck than me?

#k.
"In zweifelhaften Faellen entscheide man sich fuer das Richtige." (K.Kraus) /
Support your local anti-geek team!

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Re: Firefox 3 Update for ORCA?

Post by Sara » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:23 am

Orca and FF are two different browsers. They don't work together, although I think they use the same engine core--Gecko, just as Avant and IE use Trident. Updating one has no effect on the other. It's my understanding that a new Orca will be coming eventyally, but not in the immediate future.

Sara

ftboomer
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version: Latest
IE Version: IE8 x64

Post by ftboomer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:03 pm

Chances are, w4R cR4zY will have a release after a few betas of FF3. Next time I see him on IM I will ask him.
Give me a dirty martini and a great cigar, cause nothing beats a nice tight white ash!

Diogenes
Avant Version:

Post by Diogenes » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:49 pm

That would be great to know if w4R cR4zY will be doing another update!

Nomikos
Windows Version: XP
Avant Version: 11
IE Version: 7.0

Post by Nomikos » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:05 pm

As I understand it, Orca is based on Gecko engine 1.7 which is equivalent to Firefox 1.0. It was possible to switch out some .dll's and jars in the chrome area with Seamonkey using the Gecko engine 1.8 which would be equivalent to Firefox 1.5. However, without a rewrite of the executable that runs Orca, the Gecko engine 1.8.1 is not usable or at least is not stable throughout when switching out some of the components.

If there is going to be an update to Orca, one would presume, at this late date, that Gecko 1.9 (Firefox 3) would be what Che would base his code upon. Since 1.9 is just now being tweaked, he may want to wait for the final chrome. The folks at K-Meleon are writing an executable running Gecko 1.8.1, which they believe will work well enough when 1.9 matures.

Thing is, Avant and Orca are pretty polished products. Given there are glitches, compared to other browsers with advanced features, they stand up well Having only one developer to support a product, well, to correct even the little things that go wrong makes a full re-write a pretty sizable task.