Java Virtual Machine

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Bobmeister
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Java Virtual Machine

Post by Bobmeister » Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:30 am

Hello All...

Here's a new one, but it's not really a bug...I couldn't think of where else to put it though.  Because of Microsoft's problems with Sun Microsystems and it's Virtual Machine, I decided to install the Sun Microsystems Virtual machine (now Version 1.4.1_02) and use it.  It will continue to be supported where Microsoft's Virtual Machine (now Version 1.1.4) will not in a few months from now.

The install is fine, and Virtual machine is working fine, however when I go to http://www.javatester.org in IE it reports that the Sun Microsystems Java is working.  From Avant, however, it reports that the Microsoft thingy is working.  How can this be?  I have in my settings to use the Sun Microsystems Virtual Machine and I'm pretty sure that's what's happening...however I don't know any other way of testing this.

Any Ideas?

Jay
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Re: Java Virtual Machine

Post by Jay » Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:11 am

Hi Bobmeister  :). Good to see you again. Where did you get the info that MS will no longer support their VM? According to all that I read, it is back and forth in the court. MS is no longer required to use Sun Java. I am using MS VM v. 500.3809, althought the site you posted sees it as v. 1.1.4. And also, you are right we will both be in hot water for posting in the wrong forum.  :P

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by batigolaso » Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:46 am

no, there is no hot water. i'm not sure about the ms vs. sun java showing up. this could be related to the problems with the browser agent ID that was reported. Avant for some reason does weird things with things like that. Not sure. But then again, if the program is working, does it matter if yo'ure using sun or msft?

As for the support for the vm. Support will ALWAYS be included. The question is finding it ;) All latest versions of SP1 downloaded have been required to get rid of ms java. It's pretty useless if you ask me. Sun just needs to grow up.
"In a minute there is time for decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse." -The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

Bobmeister
Avant Version:

Post by Bobmeister » Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:29 pm

Hey...I got most of my information from Microsoft's web site looking at a page concerning the lawsuit.  It was posted in February.  They say that they will not be supporting the Virtual Machine after, I think January 2004 and will be looking at ways to separate this part from their software.  Anyway, I might have it wrong, but I'm not sure.  But back to the "thing" about the Virtual machine....and I agree....if it works, WHO CARE'S?  That's why I though it might be wrong posting it here because there is nothing really going wrong.  I was just curious.  I was hopeing that other's would give me some dang idea of a good way to know the status of the Java VM!  I don't know how to check it!

Anyway, I never left, but was busy at work and also playing with Linux.  I'm thinking of making a dedicated Linux machine because I think it's fun.  Also, have  been working on my wife's laptop (which many of you have heard about from before with all of it's problems with Windows ME) getting WinXP on a new hard disk and installing her applications so that she can have a NICE machine to work with...just like new without the new hardware!

Anyway, thanks...and now to reading other posts!

Jay
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Jay » Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:00 pm

I was hopeing that other's would give me some dang idea of a good way to know the status of the Java VM!  I don't know how to check it!
Do you mean check the legal status or the version you are using on your computer?

Jay
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Jay » Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:08 pm

As for the support for the vm. Support will ALWAYS be included. The question is finding it
There is no problem finding it. You can find it here.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/c ... efault.asp

I think it was last updated on March 25th.   :)

Bobmeister
Avant Version:

Post by Bobmeister » Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:36 pm

Ok. Guys and Gals....back from Church.  Here is the quote from Microsoft:

The Situation
As mentioned above, our settlement agreement with Sun does not authorize Microsoft to make any changes to the Microsoft VM, even security fixes, after January 2, 2004. Because of this, we cannot recommend that customers continue to use the Microsoft VM in production environments after January 2, 2004, and want to work to ensure that all customers can migrate to an alternate solution before that time.

Impact on Microsoft Products
We have started removing the Microsoft VM from new products going into distribution. Specifically, this means that we will not include the Microsoft VM in any Windows releases from this point forward, including service packs. We will also not distribute new versions of the Microsoft VM via download from our Web site. We will, however, continue to provide security fixes to the Microsoft VM to existing customers until January 2, 2004.

Posted last month athttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/ ... ws/jre.asp.

Not that I might be mis-interpreting what they are saying, but it seems as if they WILL NOT support the VM, aside from security fixes, and then discontinue complete support, after the beginning of next year.  Wherebywhich Sun's VM will be fully supported...and I'm assuming continue to be improved in the meantime.

So....I installed the Sun VM and it works great!  I also think...and I'll have to go back and look more closely, where Microsoft will actually have to provide a MEANS OF REMOVAL of their Java stuff in the future and that they are "working on it."

OK....thanks for the info....

Bobmeister
Avant Version:

Post by Bobmeister » Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:42 pm

Oh, and Jay...the version status...not LEGAL status.  I just can't find any way of looking up the ACTUAL Microsoft VM version INSTALLED on the machine!  I might be blind, but sheesh...seems easier to find the version of installer on it than that!

Bobmeister
Avant Version:

Post by Bobmeister » Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:54 pm

One more....Ok, now I know how to find the current version of VM...I looked it up....DUH.

With Windows XP, you must do it from cmd in DOS emulation.  Make command="jview" and you will get the info.  Sorry about all of the trouble...I should get into the habit of looking first, and then asking questions....but it's so much fun talking to all of you that...well....I can't help it.

Jay
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Jay » Mon Mar 31, 2003 8:16 am

And in Win98 (maybe WinXP) you can click on Start-Find-type in Msjava.dll and when you find it, right click it to find the version number. I don't know about Sun java since I don't have that version on my computer, but I expect typing in java.dll would produce similiar results?  

Bobmeister
Avant Version:

Post by Bobmeister » Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:09 pm

Actually, with Sun Java, it tells you directly as it is a standalone program as well with a console.  It tells you the version numbers of all of the moduals right on the consol so it's easy to see.

Also, just like Macromedia Flash and Shockwave, I checked and if there are updates for Sun Java, you can auto install over the top of the old to update it...assuming there are updates.  

The Microsoft one, as we have found out, is kind of buried but at least there are several ways of checking...

Jay
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Jay » Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:23 am

Latest on the legal status of Java:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,110133,00.asp   ::)