User-Agent

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

plank
Avant Version:

User-Agent

Post by plank » Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:51 pm

After installing Avant Browser, why does my IE broser now incorrectly report it's user-agent as Avant Browser [avantbrowser.com] ?

This goes against what the FAQ says, and makes any avant browser usage figures meaningless.

FAQ:
=================================
Does Avant Browser modify settings of Internet Explorer?

User is able to user Avant Browser to modify the home page of Internet Explorer. But Avant Browser doesn't modify other settings of Internet Explorer.
=================================

I understand it's based on the IE core, but changing headers behind the scenes like this seems unacceptable.

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Re: User-Agent

Post by batigolaso » Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:54 pm

can you give us an example? Is there a website I can check this out for myself? Thanks.
"In a minute there is time for decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse." -The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

plank
Avant Version:

Post by plank » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:02 pm

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by batigolaso » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:06 pm

You are correct. Not sure why it does that. But then again, not sure why anyone would mind that much... ???. I suggest e-mailing the author if you really find it offensive.
"In a minute there is time for decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse." -The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

plank
Avant Version:

Post by plank » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:35 pm

So is this forum not a place to bring up serious software flaws with the author ?

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by batigolaso » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:37 pm

it is. it's a place to discuss these issues as well for the whole community. The author is better reached, however, at his e-mail address. I suggest sending him an e-mail if you consider this such a serious offense. Here on the forum you'll just get responses from me and smoe other members on what we think, but none of us can do anything about it. The author is the only one who does any of the coding and makes the decisions ;)

auroras
Avant Version:

Post by auroras » Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:33 pm

Hi Plank,

If you want to remove it then open REGEDIT and traverse to the following hive:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform

and delete the String Value:
Avant Browser [avantbrowser.com]

you will need to repeat this every time you upgrade/reinstall the browser as it is recreated each time :)

-Rich

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by batigolaso » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:13 pm

good call auroras :). I"m sure plank will appreciate it. Thanks for your help.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:55 pm

What's the point?    ???

plank
Avant Version:

Post by plank » Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:10 pm

Thanks auroras - useful information.

In reply to anybody who doesn't get the point, the USER_AGENT field is used by web servers, and web developers to detect what brand and version of web browser is viewing a website.

Obvious uses of this are browser usage statistics, and for generating special content specific to certain brands/versions of browser to make use of whatever features or funkyness exists in all these different versions.

Once this field is screwed up, browser usage statistics become meaningless, and web developers can't guarantee to make content functional in all browsers.

Some people choose to hide the USER_AGENT and other information from web servers for privacy, but to have this changed to an incorrect value without permission or being informed is bad practice.

auroras
Avant Version:

Post by auroras » Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:33 pm

no problems.

and nice reply  ;)

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:39 am

Thanks Plank.......I wasn't aware of that.......but still...a good number of people probably couldn't care less.....thanks for the info anyway...

T-PO
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by T-PO » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:35 pm

Plank,

you are completely right in what you are saying but the changing of the User-Agent is not a big problem for AB because in almost ALL cases, when a server gets an User-agent it does not know, it defaults to Internet Explorer pages, so AB can handle them good.

But as I said... AB should not do it to be completely IE compliant!

Regards,

T-PO

Pip
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Avant Version: 2012Ultimate V171
IE Version: IE9

Post by Pip » Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:01 am

This is what I get when I use the check user agent website.........not sure what it all means as I am really a novice......I didn't know that MSIE was Mozilla.....and don't understand the Windows NT 5.1 since I am using Windows XP......is XP based on Windows NT???

Your browser
The path to this document is:
 http://www.i-way.co.uk/~iphillips/WORK/ ... rAgent.htm
and your browser is Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; Avant Browser [avantbrowser.com])
The application is: Microsoft Internet Explorer
The version is: 4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; Avant Browser [avantbrowser.com])

You have the following PLUGINS installed:

Veni, Vidi, Velcro - I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Post by Sara » Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:46 am

Yep, that's what I get in white print on a black screen--strange.  I'm using Win98SE so it's not XP.

Sara ???

man_o_peace
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by man_o_peace » Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:16 am

I just tried an "experiment"...

I backed up all my ini's, then uninstalled Avant and rebooted.

The User-Agent entry in the registry was still there, even after uninstall.

Also, if you have other browser-shells that place an entry under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform

(I have two other browser-shells that have the option to add or remove their entries)

, Avant will delete their entries instead of just adding it's "name" to the list.  

Avant deletes them everytime you run it :(.
I'm running:

Win98SE / IE 6 SP1 / Latest Version of Maxthon / Latest Official Version of Avant

plank
Avant Version:

Post by plank » Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:01 am

Ignore that link from before then - it just came up on google - it does now indeed always return the same text.

I'm certain that I tested it in a couple of browsers before posting - but, instead of accusing that site owner of having a twisted sense of humor, use this instead:

http://zpin.com/user_agent.htm

Anyways, I noticed this through a packet sniif from ethereal - that's the sure way if you really want to see the evidence.