IE toolbar compatibility

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Coolnat2004
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

IE toolbar compatibility

Post by Coolnat2004 » Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:05 am

we majorly need all IE toolbars to be compatable with avant. most people dont make bars for IE and avant. please add this into the next version of avant browser!  ;)

roth377
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Re: IE toolbar compatibility

Post by roth377 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:13 am

Personally, I feel this is more the responsibility of the toolbar makers to make it more compatible-friendly ;)
....what smells like blue !?!

Coolnat2004
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Avant Version:

Post by Coolnat2004 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:29 am

Well, see, since it is said to be an 'expansion to internet explorer', it should support all of the IE toolbars. It really shouldnt be a problem since avant (i think) uses IE's engine anyway.

roth377
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by roth377 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:29 pm

Mostly, it just uses IE's "rendering" pieces and some other bits and pieces that it can borrow.  But if it's something built to work with the actual .exe, then it's something that will have to be coded into avant.

When it's said that it's an expansion to ie, what is meant is that it's expanding on the basic-stripped down browser ascpect of ie, not the extra "fluff" that can be added to ie ;)

Don't get me wrong; I'd like to see avant and such be able to handle everything built specifically for IE, but it's easier said than done ;)
....what smells like blue !?!

Coolnat2004
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Avant Version:

Post by Coolnat2004 » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:19 am

Well, I must say that the only reason i want this feature is because of the altavista toolbar thats out now. i just like how it works hehe. and i prefer altavista for my searching needs.  ::)

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Post by Sara » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:37 pm

For a long time (before I found Avant) I used the free version of WebFerret to do all my searches, even tho I had to run it from my desktop. I never found a search engine that did better than it did(it combined search engines like Alta Vista and many others).  I didn't find Google until after I found Avant. The built in version of Google--even without being able to add the toolbar (I'm Win98 ) blows away WebFerret and any other Search tool I tried (and I tried a lot!).

Just my 2 cents worth ;D

SaraImage

dougweller
Avant Version:

Post by dougweller » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:54 pm

I like the new Altavista and the toolbar is great -- please add me to the people who'd like to be able to use this with Avant.

Doug