[How to] Custom FavIcons for AB 11 bookmarks

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

ADukes
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows XP Pro SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 19
IE Version: Internet Explorer 7

[How to] Custom FavIcons for AB 11 bookmarks

Post by ADukes » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:59 pm

Go to your C:\Documents and Settings\your account\Local Settings\Temp directory and find the $.ficn$ folder. This folder contains all icons (ex. 500000554.icon) and a subfolder with .ini files (ex. http://www.avault.com.ini) and an index.dat.

At first choose any .ico file you want to use, copy it to the $.ficn$ folder and rename it to a number one above as the last available. (ex. last available 500000554.icon, so your file should have the name 500000555.icon)

Now go to the index subfolder, create a new .ini file or make a copy of an already existing one, name or rename the file to the name of the website (ex. http://www.avault.com.ini) and edit this file.

This should be in the .ini file:
[MAIN]
index=500000555 <- change this to the number of you new created .icon file

At the end you must also update the index.dat, increase the number in there by 1.
Thanks Anderson for checking out my AB 11.0 feature request list,
now it's time to go on with 11.8:

http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?t=16116
Windows XP SP2, IE7, AB 11.7 build 19

HarryP
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: WIN 7 SP1 home premium
Avant Version: 2011 beta 18
IE Version: IE9

Re: [How to] Custom FavIcons for AB 11 bookmarks

Post by HarryP » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:19 pm

Good tutorial, but I thinkl the old FavOrg-funktion (AB10) was better and easier than that one above! :roll:

Please Anderson, bring back the old FavOrg functionality.

Do it, like your statement in this post: klick
I try to make every user happy with the new version.....
HarryP

scubamaster
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by scubamaster » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:52 pm

HarryP wrote:Good tutorial, but I thinkl the old FavOrg-funktion (AB10) was better and easier than that one above! :roll:

Please Anderson, bring back the old FavOrg functionality.

HarryP
Well for me the favicon issue is solved with Avant 11 RC6. Anderson has brought the IE Favorites back and FavOrg works just fine as always.

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz; 4GB RAM; Nvidia GeForce 8600GT w. 280.26 driver
Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit SP1 (all patches)
Avant: V2011 b30 - (IE Favorites - No On-Line Storage)
IE V9.0.8112.16421-Upd 9.0.2; Java: 1.7.0.147; Flash: V10.3.183.5
Windows Security Essentials V2.1.1116.0

robc
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate SP1
Avant Version: 11.6 Build 20
IE Version: 7

Post by robc » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:06 pm

ADukes, I had thought of that... I asked Anderson about the format of the icons in the folder, but got no reply (maybe it was in the non-public Alpha topic): you mean the .icon files are standard .ico files?

There may be problems, though... what does it happen when the folder is "recalculated", I mean a new icon is found for a site that didn't have one before or an existing icon is changed? are there any risks the custom icons get overwritten?
Image formerly known as Image

scubamaster
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by scubamaster » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:26 pm

And there is a hughe privacy issue involved with the $.ficn$ folder. Avant stores all links and favicons it found in there. I definitely want to wipe the $.ficn$ folder clean whenever I close the browser. I personally use CCleaner for that job.

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz; 4GB RAM; Nvidia GeForce 8600GT w. 280.26 driver
Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit SP1 (all patches)
Avant: V2011 b30 - (IE Favorites - No On-Line Storage)
IE V9.0.8112.16421-Upd 9.0.2; Java: 1.7.0.147; Flash: V10.3.183.5
Windows Security Essentials V2.1.1116.0

ADukes
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by ADukes » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:34 pm

robc wrote:ADukes, I had thought of that... I asked Anderson about the format of the icons in the folder, but got no reply (maybe it was in the non-public Alpha topic): you mean the .icon files are standard .ico files?

It looks so, I renamed some .icon files to .ico and was able to open the files in programs which support the ico format. The same does work for the other way round, .ico file renamed to .icon and AB is able to show it.
robc wrote:There may be problems, though... what does it happen when the folder is "recalculated", I mean a new icon is found for a site that didn't have one before or an existing icon is changed? are there any risks the custom icons get overwritten?
There is no problem with a site that didn't have an existing icon. Haven't noticed any risks, the only one could be that you could not use a custom icon for a site that already has a favicon.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:50 am

scubamaster wrote:And there is a hughe privacy issue involved with the $.ficn$ folder. Avant stores all links and favicons it found in there. I definitely want to wipe the $.ficn$ folder clean whenever I close the browser. I personally use CCleaner for that job.
What does this have to do with the topic? Don't take threads off topic, please. (it's been happening a lot lately. Not necessarily with you, but that's why I'll start mentioning it.)
ADukes wrote:There is no problem with a site that didn't have an existing icon. Haven't noticed any risks, the only one could be that you could not use a custom icon for a site that already has a favicon.
Couldn't the current icon be changed? Or does Avant overwrite the icon each time? (If I remember, I'll check this out later.)

Also, to answer the question above, yes, these .icon files are nothing but renamed .ico files. I tried this idea earlier, but didn't even think to rename an icon file with the .icon extension, so obviously, it didn't work.

Good thinking, ADukes.

ADukes
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by ADukes » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:07 pm

hornakapopolis wrote:Couldn't the current icon be changed? Or does Avant overwrite the icon each time? (If I remember, I'll check this out later.)
Tried it out and it is also possible, AB doesn't overwrite a custom set icon even if a site has a favicon.