Avant Browser V11RC5 Bugs

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

thebangs
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Avant Browser V11RC5 Bugs

Post by thebangs » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:43 pm

a) Intermittent Hangs- I have experienced numerous intermittent hangs with 0%cpu time and what appears to be multiple pages partially loaded
This has occurred on both RC3 and RC5. These hangs occur when I have multiple pages with auto refresh on. The frequency of hangs/freeze is reduced when I do not turn on the auto refresh feature per window.
On the first restart after the hang I get an avant.exe dump message (corrupted AB file?). Subsequent restarts ok till next hang.
b) my firewall is reporting a program requesting to act as a server (port19780) whenever v11rc5 is started. I am not sure whether this is caused by AB or a specific site in my startup AB site list. Is this new behavior part of V11?
Best, Mike B

ABman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8

Re: Avant Browser V11RC5 Bugs

Post by ABman » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:07 pm

thebangs wrote:b) my firewall is reporting a program requesting to act as a server (port19780) whenever v11rc5 is started. I am not sure whether this is caused by AB or a specific site in my startup AB site list. Is this new behavior part of V11?
Best, Mike B
Sorry I can't help with part (a) but I've also noticed this a lot but wasn't sure whether to report it or not. It is not just on startup it also occurs when browsing this forum!

thebangs
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by thebangs » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:53 pm

Testing for a) With 12-20 open windows, normal opening, closing, and selecting of new windows and no auto refresh, no problems for 2 hours. I then attempted to auto refresh all windows and got multiple windows showing opening page, followed by AB hang/freeze. It feels like AB is locking up handling multiple window rendering.
I am running w2k, ie6, latest service packs and ms updates.

KY Dave
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: XP Home, Pro, Vista, Win 7
Avant Version: 11.7 build 46SR
IE Version: 8.0.7600.3865

Post by KY Dave » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:08 pm

The reason AVANT is acting as a SERVER, on my PCs, is because of the RSS. It is looking for updated feeds.

Check to see if you have feeds that are autoupdated.
KY Dave

Family Blog

ABman
Avantic
Avantic

Post by ABman » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:25 pm

I don't use RSS.

HarryP
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: WIN 7 SP1 home premium
Avant Version: 2011 beta 18
IE Version: IE9

Post by HarryP » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:52 pm

ABman wrote:I don't use RSS.
Very useful posting, indeed! :roll:

HarryP

ABman
Avantic
Avantic

Post by ABman » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:29 pm

HarryP wrote:
HarryP
I don't understand your reply.
KY Dave wrote:The reason AVANT is acting as a SERVER, on my PCs, is because of the RSS. It is looking for updated feeds.
Check to see if you have feeds that are autoupdated.
I was explaining that I also get the server messages but do not use RSS. I thought this would be helpful information. Please explain your reply.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:33 pm

HarryP wrote:

HarryP
It might not have seemed relevant on its own, but read the entire thread.

HarryP
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: WIN 7 SP1 home premium
Avant Version: 2011 beta 18
IE Version: IE9

Post by HarryP » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:34 pm

ABman wrote: I was explaining that I also get the server messages but do not use RSS. I thought this would be helpful information. Please explain your reply.
This explaination was a good reply.

But only
I don't use RSS
was not good enough. :wink:

HarryP

Tekk
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: IE 8

Re: AvantBrowser V11 RC5 Bugs>Bookmark Bar

Post by Tekk » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:55 pm

I am having trouble using Links as the Root Folder in my Bookmarks Toolbar. When I first selected Links as the Root Folder, Avant displayed them just fine as my bookmarklet folders, and bookmark buttons. Sometimes when I close and reopen Avant, or I refresh a Tab, or open a New Tab, the Bookmarks in the Toolbar disappear, and the Toolbar is ENTIRELY BLANK!?

When I check in the Bookmarks 'Link' Folder, the box is still checked to 'Set As The Root of Bookmarks Bar'. If I unlick the box, and click the box again, the bookmarks will reappear, and sorted by Names, rather than the positions I 'Dragged and Dropped' them on to. I set it up again, only half an hour later to find they are gone again.

There was more than one Thread about Bookmark Bugs, and I know some of the Moderators were locking some of them and asking us to not make redundant posts, but now I have a reading headache. I hope someone else has noticed this behavior as well, so it will be given proper attention to in the near future. I try to avoid posting in the wrong Thread, but sometimes I am just blind, or I use incorrect search terms.

Thank You 8-[

Tekk
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: IE 8

Post by Tekk » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:58 pm

The Links in my Bookmarks Bar are still missing.

As I browse I add a page to Bookmarks, and go to check how it was sorted, by Name, Visited, or Created. I realize that I have added a duplicate, and that I already have that site Bookmarked in that folder. No matter how many times I have tried to delete one of the duplicated Bookmarks, one of them simply will NOT get DELETED.

As I exited from Bookmarks to come post about this, behold, the Bookmarks were back in the Bookmark Bar again. I'm guessing someone else must have noticed this, I hope I am NOT the only person. That's when I start questioning my own insanity. [See, I even talk to myself in the Forum as well, posting to myself from myself?]

Is there a place where we can check exactly what we have stored on the Storage Server? Or are we supposed to know what's there, since we obviously loaded it there ourselves, minus any changes since the last synchronization?

Thank You