These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:13 pm

New for 10.2, Added 4/26/06

How can I disable the close button on the tabs?
You can't yet. Anderson didn't want to add any new translation strings to this build so any new features added will not have an option to disable them. Wait until Avant Browser 2006 comes out. You will then most likely have your option to disable the new features as well as a slew of new ones.

How do I change my default search engine?
You must type in the search strings by hand. Click here for a list of various search strings.

What is Avant Browser?
Avant Browser (AB) is an Internet browser that provides a great user interface while keeping the Internet Explorer page rendering engine to provide great web site compatibility. This "best of both worlds" has made it very popular with its users.

What's the difference between full-screen and full-desktop?
Full desktop shows the Windows taskbar, full-screen does not. If you don't see this difference, right click on the taskbar, select Properties and then make sure Always on Top is checked and Autohide is unchecked.

Does (insert name of plug in software here) work with Avant Browser?
Do a search of the forum, many of them have been discussed. If you can't find the answer, try it yourself and let us know!

Something is not working properly
Some AB features require IE 6 to work properly. You should upgrade if you have not already done so. Also, some AB features will not work with Windows 95 or NT.

Where can I download older versions of Avant?
Thanks to MysteryFCM, you can get older versions here. You may also find older versions at FileMirrors.

What are feeds?
Feeds, or XML/RSS feeds, are an alternative way of viewing news from various websites in a simple uncluttered manner. Click here for more information on Newsfeeds.

Does Avant support the new features of the Windows XP SP2 security update?
Yes & no. Out of the box, Avant does not recognize the SP2 update features. However there are two methods to get around this:
1. Rename the Avant Browser executable in the Avant Browser program directory from avant.exe to iexplore.exe Or...
2. There is also a simple registry tweak that can be made. See here for details and DrDrrae has posted a .reg file to do this automatically.

How can I move the tabs bar to the top of the screen?
Drag it wherever you like. Make sure toolbars are unlocked first.

How do I hide the bar on the left side of the screen?
Tools - Avant Browser Options - Miscellaneous - Hide splitter bar...

Can I remove the floating toolbars on images, flash animations, &/or highlighted text?
Yes, these can also be disabled under Tools > Avant Browser Options > Miscellaneous

Can I disable the url tool tips that pop up when an ad or pop up is blocked?
Yes go to Tools > Avant Browser Options > Popup Blocker and uncheck "Display URL of blocked popup window" Or go to Tools > Avant Browser Options > Ad Blocker and uncheck "Display URL of blocked AD" respectively.

How do I send a shortcut for a web page to the desktop?
Right-click on the page and select Create shortcut. Alternatively, find a link to the page, and drag it onto the desktop.

How do I set the default action for the new window button (open blank page, current page or home page)?
Tools - Avant Browser Options - New Window

How do I get search results (from the search bar) to appear in a new tab?
Go to Tools - Avant Browser Options - New Window and under "Always open a new window for" check Search Results. Or hold down the shift key while pressing the search button. Shift-click works for any link.

What's up with Auto-complete? It doesn't work!
This has been reported by a few users and actually isn't a bug at all. There are two or three options in Internet Options that you have to check. Read more here.

Where can I find skins?
In the skins section of this forum. Or visit Avants official skin host,

Can I make my own?
Sure, download Skin Factory and play around. Post your creations here on the forum!

NB: A tutorial for creating skins can be found here

How do I disable the custom Avantfind error page?
This can be disabled under Tools > Avant Browser Options > Miscellaneous

Can I open multiple AB instances?
Yes, As of version 10.01.01 Alpha, multiple instances are available for those that would like to use it. Select File > New Avant Browser or right click any link & choose Open in New Avant Browser.

Common problems

I can't open anything with Avant! What's going on??
Most likely, this is caused by a problem with a firewall. If you are not running a firewall and are still having this problem, please post your problem.

I can't see the Title bar.
You are probably in "Full Desktop" mode. Press the F12 button to get out of it. (If nothing changes, you were probably in Full Screen mode and just switched to Full Desktop mode. Press F12 again to return.)

I can't see the Title bar or the Windows Start Button
You are probably in "Full Screen" mode. Press the F11 button to get out of it. (If nothing changes, you were probably in Full Desktop mode and just switched to Full Screen mode. Press F11 again to return.)

When I open a new window in Avant, it opens only 1/2 way or so. I want my full window!!!
From other users who have reported this problem, you probably have windowblinds installed. Right now, Avant is not compatible (evidentially) with windowblinds, and thus it creates a problem. However, hopefully this will be fixed in the future.

Can I use Windowblinds with Avant?
There is a known incompatibility with Windowblinds that may cause Avant to act strangely or not work at all.

Avant Browser freezes on start up at the splash screen
As an added security precaution, another application probably added restrictions so that no program you run can change any Internet Explorer settings. To change this, open the registry and;
1. Visit HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
2. Click Edit|Permissions
3. Click Advanced
4. Under the Permissions tab, select each 'Deny' or 'Deny Set Value' permission entry, and click Remove.
5. Click OK twice.
6. Restart or run Avant.
Thanks mensan for this solution.

FTP doesn't work right
Tools - Internet Options - Advanced and uncheck Enable Folder View for FTP Sites

How do I remove the links in Favorites
One way to do this is to simply tweak the registry and then delete the folder from IE. You can read more about this here.

Sometimes a pop-up window gets passed the blocker.
That can happen from time to time. It may be possible to add the sites url to the blocker black list to catch it. Post the site in question on the forum and someone may be able to assist you further.

Where's my Google toolbar?
Go to Tools > Avant Browser Options > Miscellaneous and check Enable Google Toolbar and then restart Avant. You should then see Google listed under the view menu.

Google Toolbar and Windows 98/ME
Anderson has been unable to resolve compatibility issues so the Google toolbar does not work with these versions of Windows. The search engine built in to Avant, however, can be set to Google. Tools->Avant Browser Options->Search Engines.

Sometimes I click on a link in Outlook or MSN (or similar) but the page opens in IE, not AB.
First, make sure that AB is your default browser: Tools - Avant Browser Options - Files and Protocols - Set Avant Browser... If it still doesn't work, and you're comfortable modifying the registry, then do this: navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/http/shell/open/command and change the value to "ABpath" %1. If desired, repeat this procedure with other protocols you wish to support (https, html, ftp, etc...) by replacing http in the path above with the new protocol. Thanks zeflash for this solution. Also look here.

MSN Messenger links won't open in Avant, just IE
SweetLou has posted a registry hack for working around this problem. Download the registry hack here & be sure to read the included install notes.

Links in ICQ don't work
Do the following: Tools - Internet Options - Programs, press the Reset Web Settings button, uncheck Also reset my homepage and press yes. Close (File - Exit) and then reopen AB, press no when prompted to make AB your default browser. Finally, go to Tools - Avant Browser Options - Files and Protocols and check all boxes except for *.url and Avant Browser should check... and press Ok. Thanks bocina for this solution.

Shortcuts on desktop, start menu, etc. don't work in XP SP2
Open My Computer Tools>>Folder Options Click on the File Types tab. Scroll down until you see "Internet Shortcut", highlight "Internet Shortcut" and click on the "Advanced Button". Highlight Avant Browser and click on the "Edit" button. In the box labeled, "Application used to preform action:" type

Code: Select all

rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l 
You might have to do the same thing for URL extensions. Now, open Avant, go to Tools>>Avant Browser Options>>Files and Protocols. Uncheck url. Avant might have over written what you just did for file types, you might have to do that again.

I just updated to Avant 10.1, what happened to my toolbar configuration?
The recent changes/additions required the toolbar configuration to be reset. Go to View > Customize buttons to reconfigure your toolbar selections. Your default search engine may have also been reset, check Tools > Avant Browser Options > Search Engine > Standard Search. Sorry for any inconvenience.

What happened to Avant's colored system buttons?
These were changed to smaller black icons to better suite the new compact style. If you prefer the old colored buttons, Hornakapopolis has released a pack of skins using the older versions. See here

Why aren't my setting saving? (Added 5/29/2006)
If you have SpySweeper, make sure it is disabled when you are making changes to the Avant Browser settings.

This FAQ is constantly being updated. Any errors/omissions, PM one of the moderators.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6