[SOLVED] Problem loading pages

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Bob Loblaw
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

[SOLVED] Problem loading pages

Post by Bob Loblaw » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:28 pm

I've been using AB for over 2 years now, I guess. I love it. I rarely have had any problems at all and when I did have problems, they were problems that everyone else was having. This is the first time that I have had a problem that I can not find anyone else reporting.

I'm running AB 10.2.25 on a brand new (only 2 weeks out of the box) PC with Windows XP Media Center (I also ran the previous version on this PC before I updated last week). I was running AB 10.2.25 AND the previous version of AB on another PC with Windows XP Pro. This problem began with the last version and continues with the new version. I have uninstalled AB and reinstalled AB 3x on the old PC and 2x on the new PC with no resolution to date.

The problem is that AB will work just fine for a while then, at random times, it will stop loading pages. Some pages will go to 1% and stop, some to 6%, and some go higher. Sometimes none of the page will load and sometimes part of the page will load before it stops. The program does not freeze up as I can still click tabs, open new tabs, etc... but it will not load any more pages. This is not an internet connection problem because IE, Firefox, and (ugh!) Maxthon do not have this problem. Also, when this happens I can not close any tabs. I can click on the X or use the "close" option on the context menu and nothing happens. This happens even with no other programs running except a few background programs like an anti-viral & firewall. I can not cause this to happen, either. It just happens at random times. Once it happens I have to close AB via the Task Manager and reopen it. Most of the time this ends the problem for a time, but sometimes the problem continues even with the new session opened.

I did not add any new software within a few weeks of this problem beginning either.

I LOVE AB and have turned on countless people to AB. I most certainly do not want to use any other browser but this is annoying me to no end.

Can anyone shed light on this for me?

TIA!
Last edited by Bob Loblaw on Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:45 pm

I do remember some others having this issue a while ago, but right now, I can't seem to find the threads. I'll keep looking, but hopefully, someone else will remember and have better luck finding it.

I don't know why, but the first thing that popped into my head when reading your post was to make sure Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> HTTP 1.1 settings -> Use HTTP 1.1 was checked... but I have no idea why. ;)

Bob Loblaw
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Bob Loblaw » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:28 am

hornakapopolis wrote:I do remember some others having this issue a while ago, but right now, I can't seem to find the threads. I'll keep looking, but hopefully, someone else will remember and have better luck finding it.

I don't know why, but the first thing that popped into my head when reading your post was to make sure Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> HTTP 1.1 settings -> Use HTTP 1.1 was checked... but I have no idea why. ;)
Thanks for the quick reply. I just checked the HTTP 1.1 and the box is checked.
Last edited by Bob Loblaw on Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Loblaw
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Bob Loblaw » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:30 am

I just uninstalled ALL AB folders and files and installed 10.2.28. Unfortunately, I am still seeing the problem. :(

Bob Loblaw
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Bob Loblaw » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:51 pm

The problem has not gotten so bad that I can't use Avant. :evil:

Maxthon & Firefox suck but at least they work for me at the moment. Can anyone please help shed light on what in the world could be the problem?

I have used the task manager to close all the running programs that I can to see if something is interfereing but nothing seems to help.

I can't be the only person with this problem, can I? :?: :cry:

robc
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate SP1
Avant Version: 11.6 Build 20
IE Version: 7

Post by robc » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:08 pm

Lew_Cipher wrote:I can't be the only person with this problem, can I? :?: :cry:
Of course you can :wink: If you close and restart Avant, does it work again? Can you trace the problem to a specific site or set of sites? You could also try running with the popup blocker off...
Image formerly known as Image

Bob Loblaw
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Bob Loblaw » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:13 pm

robc wrote:
Lew_Cipher wrote:I can't be the only person with this problem, can I? :?: :cry:
Of course you can :wink: If you close and restart Avant, does it work again? Can you trace the problem to a specific site or set of sites? You could also try running with the popup blocker off...
Sometimes it works again for a period of time & sometimes it hangs up again.

I can not trace it to a group of sites or any one site.

I've tried it with all sorts of different combinations of settings with no luck.

Since SP2, I have always renamed avant.exe to iexplore.exe and never had a problem. I have just renamed it back to avant.exe and installed Dr DrDrea's registry fix. Let's see if that works...

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:26 pm

What firewall are you using?

Bob Loblaw
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Bob Loblaw » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:03 pm

hornakapopolis wrote:What firewall are you using?
Tiny. Been using it for a couple of years now. I recommend it.

Bob Loblaw
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Bob Loblaw » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:55 am

So far, so good! I haven't had a single problem since installing DrDrRea's registry tweak and renaming the file back to avant.exe.

I'll keep y'all updated.

Bob Loblaw
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Bob Loblaw » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:45 pm

Lew_Cipher wrote:So far, so good! I haven't had a single problem since installing DrDrRea's registry tweak and renaming the file back to avant.exe.

I'll keep y'all updated.
I'm ready to say that this problem has been solved. :D :D

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:06 pm

Glad to hear, but the behavior is still odd. I only use Tiny on a few 98 machines in my office, but I'll try renaming those to iexplore and is anyone (unintentional guinea pigs ;) ) starts having problems.

I believe MysteryFCM uses Tiny, but I could be wrong. Maybe he could verify it, too.

It would almost seem, then, that some security function might have been causing a non-IE program named iexplore from accessing the net?

Bob Loblaw
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Bob Loblaw » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:30 am

hornakapopolis wrote: It would almost seem, then, that some security function might have been causing a non-IE program named iexplore from accessing the net?
It would access the net sometimes. Sometimes it wouldn't. No way to predict when.

I'm just happy I found a fix for me and hopefully anyone else who experiences this in the future.