Question Regarding Search Toolbar?

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

capandjudy
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Question Regarding Search Toolbar?

Post by capandjudy » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:55 pm

This is very basic but I want change to Google as the default search engine for the search bar and went to the search options under standard search and there are no drop down options to change to google there. Have I missed something very basic? I have AB 10.2 build 27. Thanks in advance.--Norman Hunter

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Re: Question Regarding Search Toolbar?

Post by abfan123 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:16 pm

Just paste the following string for Google :

Code: Select all

http://www.google.com/search?q=
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

capandjudy
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Thank You!!

Post by capandjudy » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:27 pm

Thanks. It worked. NH

slx
Avant Version:

Re: Question Regarding Search Toolbar?

Post by slx » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:10 pm

abfan123 wrote:Just paste the following string for Google :

Code: Select all

http://www.google.com/search?q=
how do you get rid of the "powered by yahoo search" inserted in the bar?

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:17 am

Change the Search Engine to something other than AvantFind.

Although, what version are you using? I just changed mine to AvantFind and no longer get that "image."

slx
Avant Version:

Post by slx » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:56 pm

hornakapopolis wrote:Change the Search Engine to something other than AvantFind.

Although, what version are you using? I just changed mine to AvantFind and no longer get that "image."
i'm using the most recent version of Avant...i just downloaded it a couple of days ago, changed the search engine to google but the yahoo image still displays in the searchbar

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:31 pm

What version is that? There have been a lot of silent updates. We're up to Build 38.

About the only thing I could think of is Spysweeper. If you're using Spysweeper, it incorrectly blocks Avant's settings file from being changed. Disabling it, making your changes, and then enabling it should work.

slx
Avant Version:

Post by slx » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:31 pm

hornakapopolis wrote:What version is that? There have been a lot of silent updates. We're up to Build 38.
i don't use spysweeper or any similar prog....and avant version 10.2 build 26....i tried to update but was told i have the latest version and no updates were available

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:42 pm

Try actually downloading from the home page.

Iwps
Avant Version:

Post by Iwps » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:32 am

Using Avant version 10.2 Build 38

Question: Why was "Tools", "Avant Browser Options", "Search Engine", "Standard Search" changed to remove Google? Heck, it support a pull-down list, so why wasn't Google at least included in the list?

While I appreciate the link posted above, it doesn't address "Search for Images", "Search for Groups", "Search for Directories", or "Search for News". It took me 10 minutes to toggle back and forth between Google and Avant settings to make things right.

Plus, like slx, I still get the "Powered by Yahoo" image in the search box (when I start Avant, but before I type anything there). This is despite changing all of the search links from Yahoo to Google.

What's up????

obsolum
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 26
IE Version: IE8

Post by obsolum » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:36 am

I really have no clue what everybody's talking about in this thread :? I've had Google as the default search engine from when I first started using Avant, and I've never had to change it or anything. When I upgrade to a newer version all my settings stay the same, including the search engine, and I don't know what the issue with the Yahoo thing is. I wonder... how do you guys upgrade? Because I've never had any such problems when upgrading, which takes about 10 seconds (downloading the new file not included). I'm using 10.2 Build 38 and the pull-down list with the search enginges still includes all the links it did from day one.

Iwps
Avant Version:

Post by Iwps » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:08 pm

obsolum wrote:...When I upgrade to a newer version all my settings stay the same, including the search engine, and I don't know what the issue with the Yahoo thing is. I wonder... how do you guys upgrade?
To answer your question first, I upgrade when I get a "A New Version is Available" pop-up, follow the link provided and run the installer directly (not downloading the .exe and running it). Most always, Avant is running at the time and it has to warn me that it needs to shut down and re-start.

It's funny you mention the settings, because that's another complaint I've got that I thought I just had to live with. My experience is that some of the upgrades (about 50%) don't change anything. The other half change the "Avant Browser Options" to some default (Splash screen on, Avant error page, and search engine). My "Favorites" have never been affected though, which of course is good.

I guess my question is back to you; how is it that your settings don't change? The whole way the desired search engine is selected is completely different now, so I find it hard to believe that the old code could even migrate to the new version.

Where's the "Jealous" emoticon???? :?:

{Last minite clarification: You mentioned that all of your settings are retained since day one, however that is one thing different from my current scenario. I've just reloaded my system from the factory restore disks, then promptly downloaded Avant. When I went to the setting to choose between Yahoo and Google, there is no Google!. I guess that's the point; they don't provide Google as a selectable default for virgin systems, and I guess people like you who've retained your settings are able to keep it. However, I still don' t like the fact that they don't even make it easy to add Google, like providing ALL of the links for the various searches.

However, on my GF's system (who is one of those people who never upgrade), I used her computer (while reloading mine as described above) and dutyfully updated Avant. I was shocked to see HER GOOGLE SEARCH was gone too. Sorry, I don't know what (old) version she was running.}

obsolum
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 26
IE Version: IE8

Post by obsolum » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:11 pm

Yes, like someone pointed out in another thread your default search engine will probably remain Google if you had it set to that prior to upgrading, but if you do a "clean install" (or if you completely delete Avant and all its settings from your system) Google will not appear in the list anymore, which is, indeed, a sad thing.

The way I always upgrade is: I download the .exe file to my computer (so that's different from the way you do it), I close Avant completely (different from what you do, too) and then I run the installer, which takes about 10 seconds. Then I just start Avant again and all is well :)

slx
Avant Version:

Post by slx » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:46 pm

i just got the most recent version, build 38 from avant's home page....the yahoo cartoon's still in the search bar, in spite of changing all search field options to http://www.google.com/search?q=....

additionally and something off topic...why the heck are the default tab favicons internet explorer instead of blank or avant's own....

i'd still, very much like to eleminate the yahoo cartoon in the searchbar

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:03 pm

Could anyone having this Yahoo image issue open their conf.ini and do a search for the word avant or find (or avantfind)?

Also, what is entered next to the SearchIDN= entry?

slx
Avant Version:

Post by slx » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:18 pm

hornakapopolis wrote:Could anyone having this Yahoo image issue open their conf.ini and do a search for the word avant or find (or avantfind)?

i just did and here's what i found....

SearchIDN=www.avantfind.com

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:01 pm

duh... I meant to post before... :roll: ...try changing it to www.google.com

My thought it that this will get rid of powered by Yahoo!

If it does, then my guess would be that that entry was changed by the old search option, but now that the search strings decide the option, there's no way to change within Avant's current interface.

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:53 pm

hornakapopolis wrote:Could anyone having this Yahoo image issue open their conf.ini and do a search for the word avant or find (or avantfind)?

Your on the right track horn... I just figured this out. Theres an entry in a new conf.ini separate from where the search string is listed called SearchIDN=www.avantfind.com. It seems that to remove the yahoo image you must manually change that line to SearchIDN=www.google.com

I have no idea why though :?:

Edit: oops I didn't see the above 2 posts :oops:

slx
Avant Version:

Post by slx » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:13 am

hornakapopolis wrote: ...try changing it to www.google.com

My thought it that this will get rid of powered by Yahoo!

If it does, then my guess would be that that entry was changed by the old search option, but now that the search strings decide the option, there's no way to change within Avant's current interface.
that work'd, no more yahoo cartoons

thanks guys

nopsen
Avant Version:

Post by nopsen » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:33 pm

Where do you find this conf.ini file? It's not on my system.