Dr. Orca Unofficial Patch

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

addonsfan
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Re: Dr. Orca Unofficial Patch

Post by addonsfan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:07 am

maybe I did something wrong? should I have uninstalled Dr. Orca first? I'll try playing with it a bit, and post my findings.

w4R cR4zY
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by w4R cR4zY » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:58 am

The patch will work without Orca being installed, but it is not recomended because the patch does not create the directory within your documents that stores all the settings, therefor everytime you restart orca everything will be reset. Uninstalling orca most likely wont fix the problem, but it's worth a try try completing uninstalling orca, then installing it and finaly install the patch in that order. Let me know if that fixes the problem it may be as simple as just a corupt file.

PS I'am almost complete v2.4.1 which fixes the download manger aswell as a few minor problems.

Crazy_John
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: W10 x64 / W7 x64
Avant Version: Avant Browser 2019 build 2
Default engine: 1ºFirefox \ 2ºChrome
IE Version: 7 and 10 but i never use it
Skin: Xito - old skins

Post by Crazy_John » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:59 am

After install the new patch 24 i got some crashs , on google.com work and on some foruns but for exemple on google maps page i dont see the map and when i go to other sites orca crash and before the crash i see this site

Code: Select all

http://www.pagead2.googlesyndication.com
[/size] on the buttom trying to load , see pic , some google ad problem?

but
after i Disabled the " Disable Scripts " on tools tab , orca works fine now , btw what the disable scrips do ? (other than disable sripts :lol: )

When i go dwl some file orca crash , i tryed rar and zip files, i see 2 more tabs and orca crash , on the old version's with patch or not i was getting this:
http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 25&t=19840
At the momment i use Internet Download Manager and works fine with orca , catch all files and the ones that dont i just need ad the file end to IDT , but if you can fix the dwl's of orca is great job .

Im writing this message with other browser because with orca+newPatch24 the smiles dont work when i clik on them and also the buttons on the top dont work (code , img , url ...... and the others butons )

This is just some info for you w4R cR4zY
and thankyou very much for your work , i love orca and use it all the time , hope anderson can continue developing more in a near future.
Attachments
orca24 every page.jpg
before crash
orca24 every page.jpg (7.1 KiB) Viewed 3998 times

Crazy_John
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by Crazy_John » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:53 am

One thing i miss on orca is a Floating toolbar for selected text like avant have , orca just have that for pictures .
Attachments
Floating toolbar for selected text.jpg
Floating toolbar for selected text.jpg (16.36 KiB) Viewed 3962 times

Crazy_John
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by Crazy_John » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:38 am

The problem is on the file xpti.dat
... Orca Browser\components\xpti.dat
I have put back the old xpti.dat file of the orcapatch2_0_1 and now all work fine with the Scripts on :P .
Dont know what is the problem with the new file.
Attachments
xpti.dat of Patch 2_0_1.rar
xpti.dat of Patch 2_0_1
(36.72 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

Dale
Windows Version: XP Home
Avant Version: Ocra
IE Version: IE 7

Post by Dale » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:53 am

I am having a problem with Patch 2.4. Everything installed properly. When I checked the program listing Unofficial Patch 2.4 I noticed it says launch Orca w/patch 2.4. When I launch Orca this way and select one of the multiple homepage tabs the browser shuts down. Should I be launching Orca this way or should I be launching Orca w/patch 2.4?

Also does this new patch fix the memory leak issues with Orca? I would run only 2 or 3 tabs and it would sit idle for awhile and than when I would surf again there was huge lags. I would check the Task Manager and the browser would say like 63,000 and the VM would be in the 150,000+ plus. Looking at the TM right now Orca is running at around 70,000 and VM is 63,000 w/10 tabs open. I also noticed my HD light is off.

Kudos if this patch fixes the memory leak.

~Dale

w4R cR4zY
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by w4R cR4zY » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:23 pm

There is not much I can do about the memory leaks, Firefox has always been known to be a memory hog, There working on fixing them for the next major release 3.0. But until then there's not much I can do about that.

Dale

Post by Dale » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:33 pm

Things had toned down a lot with the new patch 2.4. My hard drive isn't running all the time like it use to. Which is the proper method of using Orca? The one listed under that patch that says Orca w/patch 2.4 or just launch as normal. One way shuts the browser down the other seems to run fine.

I have noticed speed improvement as well. I do wish there was a way to add a few FF extensions. The one feature that FF seems to never address is the multiple homepages you can setup immediately.

ftboomer
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version: Latest
IE Version: IE8 x64

Post by ftboomer » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:39 pm

Dale wrote:Things had toned down a lot with the new patch 2.4. My hard drive isn't running all the time like it use to. Which is the proper method of using Orca? The one listed under that patch that says Orca w/patch 2.4 or just launch as normal. One way shuts the browser down the other seems to run fine.

I have noticed speed improvement as well. I do wish there was a way to add a few FF extensions. The one feature that FF seems to never address is the multiple homepages you can setup immediately.

I was wondering the same, WarCrazy, do we launch orca with your patch by using the Orca shortcut or do we need to launch orca by using your shortcut?

If we just launch the standard Orca shortcut, is your patch automatically invoked?
Give me a dirty martini and a great cigar, cause nothing beats a nice tight white ash!

Dale

Post by Dale » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:04 pm

Boomer have you tried launching Orca w/patch? Does it work for you? As soon a click a tab or anything actually it just closes on me.

w4R cR4zY
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by w4R cR4zY » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:24 pm

ftboomer. It really doesn't matter which shortcut you chose to use, they both point to the same directory. I just included it there for people that do not have Orca already installed.
Boomer have you tried launching Orca w/patch? Does it work for you? As soon a click a tab or anything actually it just closes on me.
Did you have Orca installed before you installed the patch? and What operating system are you currently using?

PS. I'm currently working on a patch that should resolve most of the crashes, and fix the download manger as well as some speed improvements, I should have it done within the next couple of days if all goes well.

ftboomer
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by ftboomer » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:52 pm

w4R cR4zY wrote:ftboomer. It really doesn't matter which shortcut you chose to use, they both point to the same directory. I just included it there for people that do not have Orca already installed.
Did you have Orca installed before you installed the patch? and What operating system are you currently using?

PS. I'm currently working on a patch that should resolve most of the crashes, and fix the download manger as well as some speed improvements, I should have it done within the next couple of days if all goes well.
If I open Google reader or igoogle with the standard shortcut everything is fine. If I use the patch shortcut and open the same sites, it crashes
Give me a dirty martini and a great cigar, cause nothing beats a nice tight white ash!

Dale

Post by Dale » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:32 pm

w4R cR4zY wrote: Did you have Orca installed before you installed the patch? and What operating system are you currently using?
Hi cRrzY I am running Windows XP SP2. If I use the version of Orca installed already everything works fine. If I click your inclusion of Orca w/path and click anything from a drop down menu ie: about or one of homepage tabs than Orca shuts down immediately. As long as I click the shortcut on my desktop (using the Orca installed already) everything runs fine. I just wanted to make sure the patch was working if I launched Orca as I normally would. I do also run Orca in Full Screen Mode.

ftboomer
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by ftboomer » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:13 pm

War Crazy sent me a new version to test and it's working great. He's doing some more tweaking and then he'll post it.

Dale

Post by Dale » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:36 pm

Good news. I love Orca browser. For a long time I used Avant Browser but when the updates started to take away some of the features I really loved I made the switch and I am glad I did.

Crazy_John
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by Crazy_John » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:53 am

Dale and ftboomer , You guy's are doing the installation of the patch24 to the same folder of Orca Browser or to the default patch24 installation folder ?
i ask this because i saw that the default install folder that comes with the patch24 is diferent from the default orca browser install folder , i instaled my patch24 to Orca Browser , not to the default folder that come with the patch.

If you use Orca Browser folder for bouth ,any short-cut will go to the same exe ,
but if you have the patch instaled to a diferent folder (default of the patch) , so the shortcuts will lauch diferent exe's files and probably the browser will act different on bouth.

Dale

Post by Dale » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:38 am

Crazy John, I did installed the patch24 in the default folder settings. I noticed this last night but didn't give it much thought when I was browsing through my computer files.

Q: Even though the patch is installed in the default folders am I still getting the benefits from the patch?

Thanks in advance

addonsfan
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Post by addonsfan » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:12 am

all the patch is, is Dr. Orca + latest Gecko engine files afaik. the latest patch even includes the Dr. Orca files, which means it shouldn't matter if you have Dr. Orca installed or not. but like stated before, the patch does not create profile directories. in other words, as long as you did not run the Dr. Orca uninstall file, then you should be fine no matter where you have the patch installed.

w4R cR4zY
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by w4R cR4zY » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:18 am

Well here is the latest version, hopefully fixing all of the crash problems, I've have also done some major speed tweaks for this version so you should notice a big difference in the browsers speed.

With the latest version, I would not recommend changing the default directory (Don't function properly due to the way the installer is setup).

And to run this version please use the icon created within your start menu called "Orca Browser (With Orca Patch)"

Well anyways here is the change log, and the download link enjoy :)

v2.4.1 (January, 18, 2008)
-----------------------
- Fixed the download manger
- Fixed all known crash bugs
- Some minor enhancements
- Proper placement of Orca Browser in Start menu
- Major speed enhancement
-----------------------

Download: http://www.gamecaptive.com/orcapatch241.exe

André
Administrator
Administrator
Avant Version:

Post by André » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:24 am

Added to the first post.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6