Need for a Proxy Exception List

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: N/A
Avant Version: N/A
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Need for a Proxy Exception List

Post by vtel57 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:50 pm

I've just d-loaded and started playing with Dr. Orca... very nice. However, one thing I noticed right away is that Dr. Orca needs to have the ability to add URLs to a proxy exception list in order to bypass some sites while using a proxy. For instance, you may want to bypass all local system sites... 127.0.0.1.

In the case of Avant, which also doesn't have this ability, I use the "Use Internet Explorer" settings for my proxy. IE has an exception list capability. However, with Dr. Orca and the Gecko rendering engine, it's not possible to use the IE settings for the proxy.

It would be handy to be able to set some exceptions. In my case, each time I use the toolbar search window, I have to make sure that I'm set up as "Connect Directly" or my proxy will completely block Google and Yahoo.

Other than this, I'm finding Dr. Orca to be pretty neato! :)

Regards,

~Eric

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:38 pm

Also, a cookie filter or manager of some kind is also needed imo. Now you have to accept every single cookie or none at all. Hopefully Anderson has something in the works for that.

SweetLou
Avant Guru
Avant Guru
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by SweetLou » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:58 pm

bigC wrote:Also, a cookie filter or manager of some kind is also needed imo. Now you have to accept every single cookie or none at all. Hopefully Anderson has something in the works for that.
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/netlib/ ... prefs.html
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper. -Benjamin Franklin
Where's the dancing and singing monkey?

Drahken
Avant Version:

Post by Drahken » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:35 pm

Go to about:config and look for network.proxy.no_proxies_on Add whatever sites you want in a comma seperated list.

As a temp woraround for cookie permissions, you can use some other gecko browser to set the blocked sites, then copy the hostperm.1 file from that browser's profile and stick it into orca's.

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:25 pm

Thanks lou & drahken, I'll have to fool around with it. Hopefully Anderson will be adding a gui for more of these settings in future builds.

vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: N/A
Avant Version: N/A
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Post by vtel57 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:43 pm

Drahken wrote:Go to about:config and look for network.proxy.no_proxies_on Add whatever sites you want in a comma seperated list.
Hey Drahken... that worked perfectly!

Thanks,

~Eric

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

Drahken
Avant Version:

Post by Drahken » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:05 pm

I've been using gecko browsers for quite some time. You can adjust nearly everything by using the about:config page. You can also adjust most such things by editting the prefs.js file (which is where all the about:config stuff gets stored).

When you're looking for your profile folders, orca sticks them in the applications data folder (windows/application data on 9x or documents and settings/[NAME OF USER IT WAS INSTALLED UNDER]/application data on xp). Older versions of firefox and mozilla also used the application data folder, newer versions of firefox/mozilla and all versions of k-meleon place the profiles folder within the program directory. Netscape used to use application data, don't know whether it still does.

SweetLou
Avant Guru
Avant Guru
Avant Version:

Post by SweetLou » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:52 pm

What version of Firefox puts the profile in the application folder? I'm running 1.0.7 and don't see it. Are you talking about 1.5 beta?

batagy
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: WinXP SP3
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: IE8.0

Post by batagy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:16 am

Drahken wrote: You can adjust nearly everything by using the about:config page. You can also adjust most such things by editting the prefs.js file (which is where all the about:config stuff gets stored).

When you're looking for your profile folders, orca sticks them in the applications data folder (windows/application data on 9x or documents and settings/[NAME OF USER IT WAS INSTALLED UNDER]/application data on xp).
Thanks for that info, it's very helpful.

With Avant/IE, I'm using hosts file ad-blocking method. Because I'm also behind a http proxy, I solved hosts file blocking with a proxy using a PAC (proxy auto configuration file) file. My PAC file content is really simple:

-----
function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{
if (isInNet(host, "127.0.0.0", "255.255.255.0") )
return "DIRECT";
else if (isInNet(host, "10.1.0.0", "255.255.0.0") )
return "DIRECT";
else
return "PROXY proxy_address:proxy_port";
}
-----

So with that PAC file, it's possible to use hosts file, at the same time using a proxy as well.
So I'm using it with Avant (as it's using IE's proxy settings).

I checked Firefox, what are the strings, which Firefox puts in prefs.js, when I set Firefox to use a PAC file. That strings in pref.js:

----
user_pref("network.proxy.autoconfig_url", "file:///c:/windows/proxy.pac");
user_pref("network.proxy.type", 2);
----

Then I put the same two strings in pref.js in Dr. Orca profile in Application folder. The problem is that it seems Dr. Orca deletes the "user_pref("network.proxy.type", 2);" line from pref.js, so I cannot set Dr. Orca to use my PAC file.

Drahken
Avant Version:

Post by Drahken » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:44 pm

SweetLou- Only the older versions of FF and mozilla put it in the application data folder. I think 0.9x was the last to do that. Then they apparently realized that doing that went counter to portability and compatibility, so they started putting it in the installation folder instead. (Also, there's some setting which allows you to choose where you want it. I never bothered with that option though, so I'm not sure what one it is.)

batagy: It's possible to use a PAC in orca, but you have to reset it every time you launch the browser. Just go to about:config in the address bar and search for proxy.type, double click it and set it to 2. This will last until you close the browser.

batagy
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan

Post by batagy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:55 pm

Drahken wrote:batagy: It's possible to use a PAC in orca, but you have to reset it every time you launch the browser. Just go to about:config in the address bar and search for proxy.type, double click it and set it to 2. This will last until you close the browser.
Thanks for the confirmation. I noticed this as well. But anyway, I can use it still.

SweetLou
Avant Guru
Avant Guru
Avant Version:

Post by SweetLou » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:20 pm

Well, my profile is still in the application data folder. When I make changes to the userContent.css, userChrome.css in the application data folder, they appear in the browser. I can't seem to find my profile in the installation directory. There is a profile in the default folder, but that doesn't do anything for my browser.

Drahken
Avant Version:

Post by Drahken » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:54 pm

The deafults folder is exactly that, defaults. If you wreck your browser and it has to reset to the defaults, that's what tells it what the deafults are.

I'm not sure which version of FF was the first to use the program folder for profiles instead of application data, it might have been 1.1.

SweetLou
Avant Guru
Avant Guru
Avant Version:

Post by SweetLou » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:09 pm

It isn't up to 1.1 yet, the latest version is 1.0.7. That is a nice and all, but the profiles are still in the Application Data folder, at least for me they are. Even on Mozilla's site, they say they are kept in the Application Data folder, http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

Drahken
Avant Version:

Post by Drahken » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:21 pm

Hmm... I know I had a version of FF with the profile in the program folder. I wonder if it might have been a customization in the stipe or moox builds?

I know that if you open the profile manager and create a new profile, you can place it in any folder you like.

SweetLou
Avant Guru
Avant Guru
Avant Version:

Post by SweetLou » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:26 am

Really? I never tried that. I will have to give it a try. Before I look, is there ... oh nevermind, Ilike to learn on my own. Before I do this, is this with any certain OS? or can I do this within Windows or Linux?

Drahken
Avant Version:

Post by Drahken » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:57 am

It's a function of FF/mozilla/semonkey and should be OS independant. I know for a fact that it works on windows.

batagy
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan

Post by batagy » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:23 am

Drahken wrote:batagy: It's possible to use a PAC in orca, but you have to reset it every time you launch the browser. Just go to about:config in the address bar and search for proxy.type, double click it and set it to 2. This will last until you close the browser.
It seems that 1.0 beta 2 still deletes that setting on exit.
Otherwise it's getting better and better! Great work Anderson!