Olde Skool

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

TOMaxwell
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Olde Skool

Post by TOMaxwell » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:27 am

I do not see any improvement with current versions over v. 9.02 build 033 that outweighs all the undesirable new features. I did not want one single feature that has been introduced, but there have been many Many new ones that have made Avant Browser less attractive.

STOP being like MicroSoft! :x
Some days, it's just not worth biting through the leather straps :-#

SweetLou
Avant Guru
Avant Guru
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by SweetLou » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:39 am

Well, if you are happy with 9.02 build 33, I would recommend not updating. I do this with a couple of my programs. Sometimes features will be added that I don't want or need, so I don't update unless there is a security fix. I also don't need or want the new features, but I haven't gotten to the point of thinking that Avant is bloated.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper. -Benjamin Franklin
Where's the dancing and singing monkey?

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Post by abfan123 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:40 am

What kind of request is this?
I like almost all the features that has been added into Avant Browser 10.x series.

Especially similar websites bar,XML feeds reader,Compact style,customizable mouse gestures,floating bars etc etc....

SweetLou wrote: unless there is a security fix
There was 1 security fix in version 10.0 build 131.
Last edited by abfan123 on Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Post by Sara » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:41 am

Actually, this is more of a discussion, so I'll move it there.

Sara :D

Vanguard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Vanguard » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:37 am

I don't share TOMaxwell's appreciation concerning Avant Browser specifically, but I do understand his point on a wider basis.

Up to now, Avant has managed, in my opinion, to improve code without at the same time becoming "bloated", and bloated is indeed a wide and general tendancy which seems to be the consequence (or aim?) of many softwares' development policy. We all know some programs we loved at one time, the time of their creation!, and which have become with race and succesive upgrades, nothing but fat and slow, and unskilled in proportion of a too wide array of pretentions. Say "browser", I have one in mind! and it isn't Avant, because Avant Browser is not bloated, is definetly not bloated. Yet. I hope it'll never be.

Avant Browser AB is more of a Ferrari, far from a tank. I don't like tanks, but I love dinstinction cars :!: