Would Avant support the final IE7?

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

The Knight
Avant Version:

Would Avant support the final IE7?

Post by The Knight » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:47 am

Now, Avant is only mode for IE5-6. IE7 brings some new features, which already have Avant Browser. But the final version of IE7 is not so good like Firefox or Avant Browser. So I want to know, if Avant would code a version of their Browser, which is made for IE7?

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:34 am

The beta version of IE7 works perfectly well with Avant. It simply replaces IE6, so you don't have to do anything. Thanks to it, Avant renders pages a little faster and is (allegedly) more secure.

It would be good to see features in future versions of Avant to take advantage of IE7's new features. For example, a control for its anti-spoofing/phishing function in the Avant interface. I'm sure these will be included if they are requested.
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL

The Knight
Avant Version:

Post by The Knight » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:21 am

So you mean, I can use the latest version of Avant (10.1) with the final IE7? I musn't wait for a (special) new build?

TomServo
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by TomServo » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:14 am

As far as I know, yes. Unless MS decides to again play their games and change how you interact with the browser core. Wouldn't put it pass them.
'Minimal collateral damage' and 'entire star system' do /not/ belong in the same sentence.
- Schlock Mercenary

Circumlocutus
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: N/A
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Post by Circumlocutus » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:22 pm

Being that programs other than web browsers (such as Avant, Maxthon, slimbrowser, etc ..) use the browser core, I am hoping (or sort of sure), that MS won't alter the interactivity between core and program to block out browser shelling, as it would pretty much **** up about 30% or more of all popular non-game software.

Having said that, I am informed that the current beta is messing up Trillian and a few other IM programs
WARNING

This post contains one or more words known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash your eyes after reading.

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:57 pm

Well it works perfectly well with the beta, so I don't see it changing so drastically at this point. Besides, the whole point of having the browser core built into the OS is to make it available to other applications apart from IE. It would break a lot of commercial software if they messed with that now.
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL

rdf8585
Avant Version:

Post by rdf8585 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:57 am

You mean once IE 7 is finally done, and someone has Avant installed, Avant automatically becomes based off the IE 7 core?

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:44 pm

Yes.

DUNSEL
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
Avant Version: Always the latest.
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers on blacksglass

Post by DUNSEL » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:17 am

It seems that Microsoft just updated their WebBrowser controls without renaming or changing the call methods. So yes, all the IE shells out there should work with IE7 just fine.
I don't do drugs. I get the same effect just standing up fast