tabs maybe? not sure what they're called

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Tasuki
Avant Version:

tabs maybe? not sure what they're called

Post by Tasuki » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:45 am

In the Netscape family of browsers (Netscape, Mozilla, Firebird, Firefox) as well as Opera (my current fave) you can click on a link after you've opened it and drag the icon for the link to a special bar just underneath the address bar, and then every time you want to go to that address, you just click on its icon. IE (at least the version I'm using) can't do this. I can't figure out if I can do this in Avant. Is this possible? If so, please explain how to do it (in simple steps, please! I'm a newbie). If not, for crying out loud why not?

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Post by abfan123 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:50 am

I'm not sure but
Do you mean the "links bar"?
If yes then go to "View" menu>Links Bar

But again,I'm not sure if that what you meant
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

Tasuki
Avant Version:

maybe the links

Post by Tasuki » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:23 am

Thanks for your reply. Maybe the links bar is correct, but it doesn't seem to respond the same way as any of the other browsers. For example, I just typed in http://www.cnn.com to the address bar, and got their website. Next to the address is their CNN logo in red lettering. With the other browsers I mentioned (Opera, Netscape, Firefox, etc.) I can just left-click-and-hold on those little red letters, drag the icon into the tabs bar or links bar or whatever you call it, and a new box will be created which I can click on any time I want to go to CNN. When I try to do this with the Avant browser, the icon for CNN doesn't move. I tried left-clicking and right-clicking, but nothing seems to work. How in fact DO you populate that links bar? Thanks in advance.
p.s. I can't find anything in the help menu to solve my problem.

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:43 pm

Hello Tasuki,

First, do you have the Links Bar displayed? If you right-click on one of the Avant taskbars, a list will come up and you can tick it.

If it is displayed, you will see two small icons at the left end of it. The first of these has a small plus sign; if you click on this, the page you are on will be added to the Links bar. (The other is for rearranging and removing them.)

You cannot drag and drop favicons (this is what the icons on the address bar are called) to the Links bar in Avant. Oddly though, you can actually do this in IE. Perhaps you aren't displaying the Links bar there.
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Post by abfan123 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:48 pm

Sergei wrote:You cannot drag and drop favicons (this is what the icons on the address bar are called) to the Links bar in Avant. Oddly though, you can actually do this in IE. Perhaps you aren't displaying the Links bar there.
I think it's a bug in Avant Browser that caused by the "drag and drop link to open" feature
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:23 pm

It's not a bug, it's just that the interface of Avant is too different for this IE feature to function within it.
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL

gary100856
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by gary100856 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:23 pm

Reading this thread I just found out that one can drag the favicon from the address bar to the tab bar and open a new copy of the page doing that. Given that the page must already be open and one can accomplish the same thing be right clicking and choosing Duplicate, I am not sure of the value of the function, but it is there.

Actually I find doing this replaces the contents of an existing tab, rather than creates an entirely new tab.
Avant 10.1 build 17
XP pro, IE 6
Kerio Firewall

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:32 pm

If you drag the FavIcon to an existing tab, it will open the link in that tab. If you drag it to an open area on the tab bar, it will create a new tab. Unfortunately, if that tab bar is full, it's hard to drag it to an open area. (There is a little empty spot on the right side of the bar, however.)

Tasuki, as was mentioned before, Avant does not currently have this function. It has been requested before in this thread if you'd like to add your support there.

Tasuki
Avant Version:

thanks to all..very mysterious

Post by Tasuki » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:05 am

Thanks to all, esp. Sergei. I was just about to post a reply saying that the plus and minus signs were not visible on my Avant, when I decided to double check just to be sure, and there they were. I would swear on a stack of bibles that they weren't there before. Oh well. The drag and drop feature would be nice, so that Avant would be consistent with the other "advanced" browers, but the +/- system works too I suppose. Anyway, thanks. I'll write back if those myserious +/- icons disappear again!

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Post by Sara » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:09 am

If all browsers had the same things and did things the same way, what would be the point of having different browsers?

Sara :roll:

Tasuki
Avant Version:

a simple desultory phillipic

Post by Tasuki » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:55 am

That's like saying, if all cars had the same sized steering wheels, what would be the use in having different makes or models? Browsers can use the same modular parts (making it easy to switch from one to the other---you wouldn't have to learn a whole new set of instructions for each one) while still stressing different functions to make them unique for specific tasks. This basic idea was one of the great innovations that MacIntosh computers made--every program had to use the same general filing structure, so that users would know where to look for common commands, such as save, print, edit, etc. The idea that computer programs have no common structure indicates that the industry is still in its juvenile stage. Another common example that's used by "think tank" type folks is the telephone industry. Despite the plethora of phone companies, you can call anyone using any phone service because they all use the same command structure in their networks. Utter chaos (and lost productivity) would result from any other arrangement. I'm simply suggesting something similar for browsers.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Re: thanks to all..very mysterious

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:55 pm

Tasuki wrote:Thanks to all, esp. Sergei. I was just about to post a reply saying that the plus and minus signs were not visible on my Avant, when I decided to double check just to be sure, and there they were. I would swear on a stack of bibles that they weren't there before.
Just so you don't think you're crazy, if you didn't have snything on the links bar and there was no tab open, I'm pretty sure neither icon would appear.

Tasuki
Avant Version:

not crazy?

Post by Tasuki » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:20 pm

OK, that explains it, tx. As for not being crazy, I'm afraid I'm guilty as charged, which must mean I'm not a celebrity :)