Erratic behaviour V 2013 b 120 Lite

If you're not using Avant Browser 2012, but need assistance, please post here. Don't forget to search Old Topics first, though, please!

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Win 8.1 64 PC/Win 8. 64 laptop
Avant Version: Both AB Lite 2016 v2
Default engine: IE11 Standards
IE Version: IE 11 on PC and laptop
Skin: Aluminium

Erratic behaviour V 2013 b 120 Lite

Post by Arandora » Tue May 13, 2014 10:34 am

Having reverted from v2014 due to various problems I have happily been using V 2013 b 120 Lite until about a week ago when it has started to behave erratically. I generally have about 8 tabs left open as I use them regularly during the day. I am a frequent use of TripAdvisor various forums and receive Email notifications into Outlook of posts I have requested to be updated when there is activity. When I click on the link in the Email it opens a new tab in AB. If there are several Emails I open each and click on the link thus opening several new tabs. I then go to each tab viewing it and if necessary replying to the forum post. After doing that I close the tab. This has been my regular practice through various versions of Windows and builds of AB on different PCs and laptops. No problems at all until last week when the following started to occur:
1. Sometimes two tabs will open from one click on the email link.
2. After dealing with the last tab opened and closing it when I go to any of the previous new tabs when I click on them they just close.
3. Intermittent locking up of AB during the course of the day which sometimes is cured by refreshing the page, other times by having to close and reopen AB entirely.
4. The right context menu does not always work.
None of this behaviour happens if I use Chrome.
I have uninstalled AB, after backing up my AB profiles, and reinstalled but it made no difference.
Other than a suggestion to try latest V 2014 which I am still resisting because of previous problems and viewing issues being reported on the new version Help Forum any explanations/help to cure what is happening would really be appreciated.
Laptop Windows 8.2 64 bit, IE11; PC Win 8.1, IE11. Both AB Lite 2016 b 2 IE Favorites, IE11 Standards rendering engine.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Re: Erratic behaviour V 2013 b 120 Lite

Post by xiaobing » Thu May 15, 2014 1:44 am

Have you tried it with a brand new Avant profiles? If it works, then you can copy bookmarks/autofills etc from the old profiles one by one.

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by Arandora » Thu May 15, 2014 12:56 pm

These are my current AB Profiles. Are there an of these I no longer need/need to reload to new profile?
Image - first two folders are duplicate images.
Laptop Windows 8.2 64 bit, IE11; PC Win 8.1, IE11. Both AB Lite 2016 b 2 IE Favorites, IE11 Standards rendering engine.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Fri May 16, 2014 2:23 am

Just rename your current Avant profiles,then restart Avant, a new Avant profiles folder will be created automatically. Don't need to delete anything before you confirme that making new avant profiles works for the problem.
By the way,what's "_gsdata_" ?

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by Arandora » Fri May 16, 2014 9:06 am

That doesn't work either. I've even installed latest B 2014 amnd same thing happens. If I click on links in Outlook they open a new tab in AB. When I view the latest page and then close it when I click on previously opened tab that just closes without viewing and so on for each new tab until I reach the ones left open at the end of the last session. If I then click on further links in emails they ope new tabs in the middle of the previousy opebed ones not at the end and then will not display as previously described. I have run anti-malware scans which were clear. Done a System Restore until well before this problem started. Still same. What I have not done is a complete uninstall of AB before upgrading/reinstalling. Is that now called for?
"_gsdata_" is a Hidden Sytems folder presumably created by the system?

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri May 16, 2014 1:58 pm

That's a folder for a program called GoodSync. Are you running that? That'd certainly explain why your old info keeps popping up when Avant should be creating a new set of files.

Although, if it's running, it should be syncing your deletion... but if it isn't then maybe it's re-syncing before Avant can recreate everything.

Another possibility would be that it's locking those files, too, and they're not being deleted. Are you seeing them disappear when you delete them?

Also, you can change Avant's profile location. Maybe doing that will bypass whatever issue you're running into now trying to troubleshoot this. I don't know, though, if Avant creates new folders or simply copies from the old profile location to the new. You could test it or maybe xiaobing could answer for sure

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by Arandora » Fri May 16, 2014 2:37 pm

Hi
Thanks for joining the party. I need a drink as I am getting absolutely nowhere!
I uninstalled AB using its own uninstall.exe from Control Panel and followed the instructions for "How do I do a fresh install" from the AB FAQs. So backed up my old Profiles ans deleted the AB Folder and installed B 2015 v 5 Lite and ran it without copying back my old Profiles. I then sent some Email links through from Outlook and now the first link opens 2 tabs!!!! Then when I open next Email a new tab opens without me even clicking on the link!!!!! If go to the previously opened tab without closing the last one it just closes without viewing the page and if I click on each remaining tab they just close without me viewing them.
I'm beginning to think this is not AB but my PC's Registry being beggered. :thumbdown:

BTW Yes. I do use GoodSync but only use it manually to sync folders between my PC and my laptop about once a week. It doesn't run in the background.

Edit:
I have just made IE 10 my default browser and clicked on links in Outlook Emails and they have opened TWO tabs in IE. Same thig if I make Chrome my default browser.

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by Arandora » Fri May 23, 2014 6:11 pm

I don't know whether I am more very angry :evil: than very embarrassed :oops: but in fact I am both! It was not my Registry being fragged nor was it AB. As I thought it was the Registry I decided to reinstall my OS, Win 7 Pro, first trying a Repair Install, which wouldn't work because, I was told, I was trying to replace an OS by an older version (Win 7 SP1 issue), which Windows won't allow, then, after backing up all my data, a Clean Install. Having spent hours doing this and installing Windows Updates, one of first programs I installed was AB, a completely new installation and Lo and Behold the same thing started to happen. So as my PC had been purpose built I contacted the builder, who had been on holiday all the time this was going on, described the problem and he suggested it was Outlook that was completely corrupted or it may be my wireless mouse. As I didn't have a spare mouse and I hadn't reinstalled Office yet, I decided to purchase a new mouse that I could use both for my PC and my laptop. As soon as I installed it and then loaded AB the problem disappeared.
So it was the bl**dy mouse all the time! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Anyway it presents me with the opportunity of a good Spring Clean of my PC and reorganisation of my folder structures etc..
Thanks to those who have read and tried to help me especially the very patient Xiaobing.
I think this topic can be closed now.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun May 25, 2014 5:41 am

Wow... admittedly, when I replied, I hadn't read the entire thread, but I think you had a mix of issues non-Avant as well as Avant related, especially #3 from your original post. Still , good call for your guy on the mouse.

It reminds me of my driver's side taillight problem on my first Corvette... bad turn signal switch... because, you know... that makes sense.

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by Arandora » Sun May 25, 2014 6:43 am

2 + 2 = 4 but when it doesn't? Blame AB!