Old Version 11.7 b46SR and IE9

If you're not using Avant Browser 2012, but need assistance, please post here. Don't forget to search Old Topics first, though, please!

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Win 8.1 64 PC/Win 8. 64 laptop
Avant Version: Both AB Lite 2016 v2
Default engine: IE11 Standards
IE Version: IE 11 on PC and laptop
Skin: Aluminium

Old Version 11.7 b46SR and IE9

Post by Arandora » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:19 pm

I'm still using the old version 11.7 b46SR (as periodically coming to this forum shows continuing problems with latest version that I just don't want to face) with IE 8 on my PC with Vista Home Premium and on my laptop with Win7 Home Premium 64 bit.
I'm thinking of upgrading IE8 to IE9 on my laptop. Will this present me with compatibilty problems with AB Old Version?
Laptop Windows 8.2 64 bit, IE11; PC Win 8.1, IE11. Both AB Lite 2016 b 2 IE Favorites, IE11 Standards rendering engine.

ReleaseRoderick
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: WinXP Pro
Avant Version: AV11.7build46forever
IE Version: IE.8

Re: Old Version 11.7 b46SR and IE9

Post by ReleaseRoderick » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:24 pm

A-ha old fella, I'm still on the old 11.7 steam-train too.
What an interesting question you ask. Shall watch this one.
Love,Light and Peace
ian

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by Arandora » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:02 pm

Must be us Lankys! :-)
Laptop Windows 8.2 64 bit, IE11; PC Win 8.1, IE11. Both AB Lite 2016 b 2 IE Favorites, IE11 Standards rendering engine.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:45 pm

This is all i know you cannot use IE 9 with XP it will only go to IE 8 . I would guess that IE 9 will work VISTA AND WINDOWS 7 being 32 bit and 64 bit.Just can't answer your question.This part of my reply i am certain This is all i know you cannot use IE 9 with XP it will only go to IE 8 . :)

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:10 am

Arandora wrote: I'm thinking of upgrading IE8 to IE9 on my laptop. Will this present me with compatibilty problems with AB Old Version?
I'm afraid 11.7.46 doesn't completely work with ie9.We ever released a test version v2010 build 122 which almost worked with ie9.
See here:
http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 83#p171883
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Post by Sara » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:46 am

I'm usiing IE9 64 bit with the same veersion ofAvant and Win 7. Where I'm having problems is with Windows Explorer freezing. Action center even reported it back to base as a problem, but has no solution yet.

AbelAbel
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: win7
Avant Version: 2012 beta 8
IE Version: ie9

Post by AbelAbel » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:37 am

IE9 is not completely compatible with the old versions. Why not updating to the latest version?
I like the firefox rendering engine in Avant which runs fast and stable in my win7 64 bit.
Some users have the gray page problem in the new version, but this problem rarely happen to me.
I'm satisfied with the new versions so far.

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by Sara » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:41 am

You misunderstood. I'm not having any problem with Avant 11.7 etc. and the version of IE that came built into Windows 7, which is described as just 64 bit--no number, I'm assuming it's at least a version of IE 9. I have little interest on mutiple engines, as Avant has been my browser for 10 years and as Scotty said in Star Trek The Movie (and I'm going from memory here) " the more you over take (overhaul?) her the more problems you'll have with her".

I found it! "Aye sir, the more they overtech the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." Sort of what I said......

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by Arandora » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:12 am

AbelAbel wrote:IE9 is not completely compatible with the old versions. Why not updating to the latest version?
I like the firefox rendering engine in Avant which runs fast and stable in my win7 64 bit.
Some users have the gray page problem in the new version, but this problem rarely happen to me.
I'm satisfied with the new versions so far.
To be honest, when I periodically return to this Forum and read the continuing problems being experienced with even the latest version of AB, I'm "afraid" of upgrading. Having been an AB user since I first started browsing I am comfortable with the current old version I am using and don't want to upgrade only to find I am thrown out of my comfort zone.
The reason I started this thread is because IE9 was becoming increasingly pushed with Windows updates. Today's Microsoft Notification says that "If you have automatic updating turned on and are not using the latest version of Internet Explorer, Windows Update will automatically upgrade you this month. Learn more, including how you can opt out."
So, I have downloaded the IE9 Installer Blocker so that I can control the installation of IE9 after further consideration of whether to upgrade AB. I feel a bit like King Canute failing to hold back the tide of change! :wall:

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by Sara » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:58 am

Hi! I guess I'm about to find out what happens when od mets new. I found out recently that My new Win 7 computer came loaded with IE 9--wrong! It was a 84 bit version of IE 8. Last night's uploads took me to 9--I checked after reading your post. I'll be interested to see what issues I have now. I'll keep you posted.

BTW--Welcome back! Some of us were getting worried.......

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by Arandora » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:12 am

Hi Sara,
I look forward to reading how you get on with Old AB and New IE and thanks for the Welcome Back. :wave:
I've been pre-occupied with (my wife's) health issues which not only demand my time, which I can afford but an efficient and effective browsing ability,which I can't afford to do without. Hence my preference at this time to stay with what I've got.
If I can be assured of a fairly seamless transfer to New AB & New IE in due course when I have more time to deal with any complications.
This will be a dual move, though, as I would want to upgrade on both my laptop, running Win 7 64 bit, and my PC, running Vista Home Premium 32 bit and for which I am now starting to get optional downloads of Vista IE9 so it isn't going to be too long before they become included in automatic downloads too.

AbelAbel
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: win7
Avant Version: 2012 beta 8
IE Version: ie9

Post by AbelAbel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:05 am

"I feel a bit like King Canute failing to hold back the tide of change!"

Just like the users who like using firefox3, as the update of firefox add-ons,they have no choice but to update.

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by Arandora » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:40 pm

Sara, Sara, where are though Sara?
How is your plumbing? I see you are running New AB but still with IE8? Why not IE9 now and how do you now rate AB 2012 Build181 Lite?

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Post by Tinman57 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:48 am

Arandora wrote:Sara, Sara, where are though Sara?
How is your plumbing? I see you are running New AB but still with IE8? Why not IE9 now and how do you now rate AB 2012 Build181 Lite?
I saw in your earlier post that you were afraid of updating to the newest version of Avant because of reading all the problems some people were having. To tell you the truth, the majority of those problems are brought on by the people themselves by not reading the docs and/or not looking at their preferences.
You can install the newest version of Avant and still keep your old version, just install the new version to a different folder. That way you can check out all the new features and make sure everything works before getting rid of your older version. If for some reason you don't like it, you can just un-install the new version and continue on with the older version.
What's really nice with the tri-core Avant is when you come across a web page that's specifically written for FireFox or Chrome, you will now have the option to switch on-the-fly to see the page properly. There's a whole lot of other niceties, you just have to take it for a test drive. :wink:
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by Arandora » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:25 am

Tinman57 wrote:
I saw in your earlier post that you were afraid of updating to the newest version of Avant because of reading all the problems some people were having. To tell you the truth, the majority of those problems are brought on by the people themselves by not reading the docs and/or not looking at their preferences.
You can install the newest version of Avant and still keep your old version, just install the new version to a different folder. That way you can check out all the new features and make sure everything works before getting rid of your older version. If for some reason you don't like it, you can just un-install the new version and continue on with the older version.
What's really nice with the tri-core Avant is when you come across a web page that's specifically written for FireFox or Chrome, you will now have the option to switch on-the-fly to see the page properly. There's a whole lot of other niceties, you just have to take it for a test drive. :wink:
Tinman,
Thank you very much. I think I will do exactly as you suggest - after carefully reading the docs! :wink:
Does it work better with IE8 (which I still have installed) or IE9?

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Post by Tinman57 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:26 pm

Arandora wrote:
Tinman57 wrote:
Tinman,
Thank you very much. I think I will do exactly as you suggest - after carefully reading the docs! :wink:
Does it work better with IE8 (which I still have installed) or IE9?
I'm on an XP machine, so I can't go above IE8....
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by Arandora » Wed May 01, 2013 1:54 pm

Following on from above, I experienced a lot of problems with my old version of AB (11.7 b46 with IE8) whilst away in our Winter retreat in Thailand so I was prepared when we came home recently to bite the bullet and upgrade to the latest AB with either IE9 or IE10. I had successfully stopped IE9 being installed on my laptop through Windows Updates on my laptop but the other day Windows Automatic Updates installed IE10 on my laptop and to my surprise most of the issues (pages sticking, pages not loading properly, AB crashes, even log in problems with Facebook) disappeared and AB was back to the speedy browser I had always loved and with whose features I was perfectly comfortable.
So, I went ahead and installed IE10 on my desktop also with the same success so far with one exception.
I am currently looking to book flights for our return back to Thailand in November and tracking prices on two airline websites, one of which is Emirates.com. Prior to the installation of IE10 whenever I loaded the Flight search page at http://fly4.emirates.com/CAB/IBE/Search ... ility.aspx it always stuck at "(7 item(s) remaining) Waiting for http://fly4.emirates.com/CAB/IBE/Search ... ility.aspx... This then prevents me going to the results page after completing the search boxes as the button is not displayed. This happened with AB and IE8 on both laptop and PC and I had to use Firefox where there was no problem.
After installing IE10 on my laptop, the full page loaded in both AB and IE10 but on my desktop it would still not complete in AB whilst it did in IE10.
If anyone is still following this thread have you any ideas for correcting this anomaly?
Thanks in anticipation.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Thu May 02, 2013 3:02 am

Have you tried to clear cache/history on your desktop ?

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by Arandora » Thu May 02, 2013 7:17 am

Yes. And used CCleaner but will try again.

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by Arandora » Fri May 03, 2013 8:52 pm

Comparing the AB settings on my PC and my laptop, which were supposed to be identical, I found that Ad Blocker was Enabled on my PC but Disabled on my laptop which explains the anomoly.
Anyway, there are no "side effects" so far of old AB and new IE and having just upgraded my internet service to fibre I am experiencing my best browsing experience ever!!! :-)