Need A Complete Uninstall

If you're not using Avant Browser 2012, but need assistance, please post here. Don't forget to search Old Topics first, though, please!

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

philomath8
Windows Version: windows xp
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: ie8

Need A Complete Uninstall

Post by philomath8 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:30 am

Hi,

I need to do a clean uninstall. No matter what I do something is left behind on my system (Vista Ultimate-AB 10.2 52) I know this because when I re-install it all of my preferences and groups are still there.

The reinstallation is to try and fix the problem of neither groups or favorites opening when I click on them. Even if I use open in a new window all I get is a blank new window.

I uninstall and something is always left in the registry, is it safe to just manually remove every single Avant reference from the registry?

I'm finding the forced substitutes maddening :crazy: so any help is greatly appreciated! :)

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Re: Need A Complete Uninstall

Post by AXEMAN » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:41 pm

This will help you here is addy to the site for CCleaner http://forum.piriform.com/. This will remove all useless links and ofcoarse it will remove all that remains of any programs you have deleted. Also download CCleaner and install look at the options they are self explanatory so you remove avant from add and remove i think you have done this back up you favs then look in c/program files remove avant folder if you see it. Then open CCleaner look at the options pick what want the first scan will show you what it has found this is called analize then after picking what you want to remove then select run cleaner :) Hope this helps bud oh some more info i found in another thread Please uninstall Avant Browser completely(make sure both ybrowser.exe and avant.exe are removed) and reintall it. See whether re-installing the whole program makes a difference.(Don't forget to back up your bookmarks,autofills etc.) still use cleaner it is for your registery it will also make you faster after the stuff that is no good is removed.

philomath8
Windows Version: windows xp
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: ie8

Post by philomath8 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Hi Axeman,

Appreciate you replying. I downloaded CCleaner (great site btw). I alway use Glary Utlities for cleaning my registry. So, I uninstalled AB then ran them both back to back. They found completely different data left over in the registry, a bit puzzling that was. I let them both fix what they found then ran regedit and searched the registry and found lots more still there.

I removed the big ones:
Avant.Appication
Avant Browser
Avant.UriFilter
Avant,WBHelper
and left all the avant.exe's found.

Next I manually deleted the Avant Browser folder that was in AppData\Roaming.

Then I reinstalled and got a fresh and clean install. However the original problem of favorites not working remains.

I'm thinking the the problem is with Vista because it's fine on the XP I run on another drive on the same computer and I never had the uninstall-reinstall problem at any other time.

Thanks so much for your help because CCleaner saved me from having to manually remove a lot of data :D

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:03 pm

No problem bro