Netflix only works by starting a new session - how can I delete old sessions?

Help issues and Bug Reports for the current version that have been corrected can be found here. Only staff members may move threads to this forum.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

lefreak
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: 7 Pro SP1 64-bit
Avant Version: Ultimate 2017 Build 2
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 9
Skin: Windows Traditional

Netflix only works by starting a new session - how can I delete old sessions?

Post by lefreak » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:57 pm

Hello, I use Netflix since 6 months, but since 2 days I have a problem with Netflix:
The page doesn't load correctly, only partially or nothing at all. This happens before I need to start the Silverlight plugin (I need to confirm the activation of the plugin every time, so this is not the problem). I have tried to load the backup profile from several weeks ago (all worked 2 days ago), but it doesn't help, neither does clearing cookies/temporary internet files/history.

With original Firefox there is no problem, when I use Avant with FF engine, it doesn't work. But the strangest is this:
When I start a new session (File > new session), all is fine again!

So my question:
What is the difference between closing Avant and restarting it after deleting records (cookies, etc.) and starting a new session without deleting those records?

Are there any remnants of sessions that I can't delete? When I start a new session, the history/temporary internet files/favicons are still there, so the problem should be elsewhere, because nevertheless after starting a new session Netflix works every time fine.

I don't want to start Avant twice every time I want to use Netflix...
session.jpg
session.jpg (1003 Bytes) Viewed 4706 times
and above all I hate creating new profiles, so a more simple solution would be nice, thank you.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Re: Netflix only works by starting a new session - how can I delete old sessions?

Post by xiaobing » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:15 am

Private session works? Right click Avant desktop icon>properties>shortcut>target>add " -runprivate" at the end.
For example: "D:\Program Files\Avant Browser\avant.exe" -runprivate
Notice, there is a space before -

lefreak
Fan
Fan

Re: Netflix only works by starting a new session - how can I delete old sessions?

Post by lefreak » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:21 am

Yes, private session works also, although it takes 2 or 3 seconds longer to load the Netflix site completely after logging in. Using "new session" is a bit faster I think.

So what can I do to make it work in normal sessions?

By the way, I've tried "new session" with the Yahoo Mail page that didn't work since a few months and it works also. I thought it was a problem on Yahoo's site, but it seems to be the same thing, suddenly the page didn't work and I didn't change anything (no new addons, etc.). Disabling all add-ons doesn't help either, only new session or private modus...

On Yahoo I see some parts of the page but I can't click on the menus (I mean: nothing happens when I click on it) and I don't see any mails.
Yahoo.jpg
On Netflix I see some film-icons and after a few lines, the rest film-icons are like flashing but they don't show, and when I click on any of the films nothing happens, neither with the films I can see nor with those that "flash". And I cannot see any description of the film when pointing on it.
Netflix.jpg
It's getting stranger:
When I go to "Kids", a menu in Netflix I never used before, the play button appears when pointing on a film, also the description shows, and I can start the same film that I cannot when I am on the usual/not kids user site. To me, it seems like there is some sort of "temporary files" (not those that Avant can clean by using the "clearing" menu) that are corrupted and prevent that sites from working, so I would like to "clean" those old files on my PC.
Netflix Kids.jpg
Netflix Kids.jpg (17.93 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
By the way, I've tried the Avant "clearing records" and also the "deleting history" option of the FF engine (Tools > Firefox > Options), but nothing worked:
FF history.jpg
FF history.jpg (17.46 KiB) Viewed 4657 times

lefreak
Fan
Fan

dom.storage.enabled

Post by lefreak » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:08 pm

I have found the solution after hours of trial & error... deleted half of files, then less... the problem was in prefs.js inside the folder
\Avant Profiles\.default\gecko\Mozilla\Avant\Profiles\xxxxxx.default\

There was this line:
user_pref("dom.storage.enabled", false);

I did that change via about:config one or two years ago I think, this was in order to prevent sites from putting super cookies on my PC. It seems that some sites change the way they work and you can't use them without that permanent storage.

MozillaZine says:
The Web Applications 1.0 specification defines a mechanism allowing web pages to store information with a web browser (similar to cookies) called “client-side session and persistent storage.” Although use of session storage is subject to a user’s cookie preferences, this preference allows it to be disabled entirely.

So Yahoo requires since a few months this sort of permanent storage, and Netflix does require it since a few days!
After changing that option via about:config, all is working again! Sorry for the trouble :).
dom.storage.enabled.jpg
So, it is NO bug, just a problem with the "big brother" of Web Storage! :evil: :mrgreen:

jazz albert
Windows Version: Windows vista
Avant Version: NOPE
Default engine: NTNA
IE Version: FICA
Skin: TIKA

Re: dom.storage.enabled

Post by jazz albert » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:25 pm

[color=#000000]lef[/color][/url][url=http://www.traguspiercing.xyz/][color=#000000]reak[/color] wrote:I have found the solution after hours of trial & error... deleted half of files, then less... the problem was in prefs.js inside the folder
\Avant Profiles\.default\gecko\Mozilla\Avant\Profiles\xxxxxx.default\

There was this line:
user_pref("dom.storage.enabled", false);
I have tried the aforementioned solution but i am unable to get it done.