Too Many Instances Of Avant/Gecko Running... and won't shut down

Help issues and Bug Reports for the current version that have been corrected can be found here. Only staff members may move threads to this forum.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

ulTRAX
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Too Many Instances Of Avant/Gecko Running... and won't shut down

Post by ulTRAX » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:24 pm

I know I'm running a slightly older version of Avant... (2015 b10) which I thought I just installed 7-10 but since this problem persists over numerous builds... and I don't know if anyone else has reported it... here goes. I use Avant with firefox... and it can stop working. When I check task manager in Windows Vista (32 bit) I find numerous instances of Avant.eve running... as high as 10... avantvw.exe, and sometimes 2 gecko.exe running. I can not shut any down in task manager. Today I get popups that Gecko is already running and one must be shut down. But that does nothing. I can not shut down any of these exe files even using other Windows utilities. Usually I can deal with this by restarting... but today the problem persisted even after a restart and is obviously worst than yesterday.

Any ideas? Thanks!

BTW... I wish the version names were included in the download file.

ulTRAX
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Re: Too Many Instances Of Avant/Gecko Running... and won't shut down

Post by ulTRAX » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:38 pm

I just installed 2015 b17 ultimate and watched in task manager as it shut down. It was odd. Where there was one instance of avant.exe running... then there were 5. But I let the process continue... and it took about 40 sec before all the instances of avant, avantvw and gecko closed. So maybe in the past, when I was having problems... such as when I was doing video encoding and I started getting purple screens in firefox... I may have shut Avant down and restarted it before all the processes had stopped.

Any idea?

ulTRAX
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by ulTRAX » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:55 pm

So much for the above post. I restarted the PC... opened Avant only once and watched the Taskmanager. I have two instances of both Avant.exe and Gecko running... one using 240k of memory... and I can't force a shut down on any of them using task manager... or Process Monitor by SysInternals which is connected to Microsoft.

I can't even force a termination of avant and gecko using TaskKill. I get a message the processes are terminated... yet they are still running.

ulTRAX
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by ulTRAX » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:50 pm

It doesn't look like this problem has been fixed with Ultimate b27. And I hope I'm not dreaming... but the release says b24 under Help > About.

I installed this over b.24.

ulTRAX
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by ulTRAX » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:58 am

No... I take the above post back.. it seems the problem might be fixed!!!