RoboForm toolbar fails to load in some tabs

Help issues and Bug Reports for the current version that have been corrected can be found here. Only staff members may move threads to this forum.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

RoboForm toolbar fails to load in some tabs

Post by mbrazil » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:38 am

This is occurring in Avant Ultimate build 187 using the Firefox engine with RoboForm 7.8.3.5 with the RoboForm Toolbar for Firefox 7.8.3.5 extension. Since build 187 was released within a few days of RoboForm 7.8.3.5, I don't know whether the problem started with the RoboForm update or with build 187 or whether it's some interaction between the two.

What happens is that when some tabs open (Firefox is my default engine), the RoboForm toolbar doesn't load in those tabs. It doesn't matter what sites are in those tabs; It seems to be completely random when it happens. I've found that if I disable and then re-enable the RoboForm toolbar extension, the toolbar will then appear in the tab(s) that it was missing from. It is not necessary to close and reopen the tab, and it is not necessary to restart the Firefox engine. I've actually been keeping a tab open to about:add-ons so that it's handy whenever I get a tab without the RoboForm toolbar and I need to use RoboForm in that tab. It saves time to have it already open when I have to disable and re-enable the extension, and I have to do this pretty frequently.

I also have noticed that, when a tab opens and the RoboForm toolbar does load, it loads more slowly than it used to, and the toolbar comes up with no icons at first and shows the word Loading for around a second (maybe a bit less) in the toolbar instead of the RoboForm toolbar buttons.

pa1nkiller
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Avant Version: 2013 b23
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 11.0.9600.17501
Skin: Aero Glass

Re: RoboForm toolbar fails to load in some tabs

Post by pa1nkiller » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:06 am

I'm having the same problem with build 187 and the Firefox Rendering Engine. If I click a link that opens a web page in a new tab, the new tab will not display the roboform toolbar - I have to open the current page in a new tab to get the toolbar to display... very frustrating.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Post by Tinman57 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:12 am

pa1nkiller wrote:I'm having the same problem with build 187 and the Firefox Rendering Engine. If I click a link that opens a web page in a new tab, the new tab will not display the roboform toolbar - I have to open the current page in a new tab to get the toolbar to display... very frustrating.
If you ever have a tab that don't show the Roboform toolbar, right mouse click (RMC) on a blank part of the page and select "Fill Forms". The toolbar AND the Roboform "Fill Forms" box should open.
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:06 am

Tinman57 wrote:If you ever have a tab that don't show the Roboform toolbar, right mouse click (RMC) on a blank part of the page and select "Fill Forms". The toolbar AND the Roboform "Fill Forms" box should open.
When the RoboForm Toolbar has failed to load, and you right click in the tab, the context menu does not include any of the RoboForm commands that are normally there, so you cannot use a RMC to restore the toolbar or do anything else with RoboForm.

pa1nkiller
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Avant Version: 2013 b23
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 11.0.9600.17501
Skin: Aero Glass

Post by pa1nkiller » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:33 am

To be more specific to the issue I posted above - If I left-click a link and it opens in a new tab, the roboform (7.8.0.5) toolbar isn't there but if I right-click the link and open it in a new tab, the toolbar appears as normal.

I'd still like it to be fixed rather than having to work around the problem.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic

Post by Tinman57 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:00 am

mbrazil wrote:
Tinman57 wrote:If you ever have a tab that don't show the Roboform toolbar, right mouse click (RMC) on a blank part of the page and select "Fill Forms". The toolbar AND the Roboform "Fill Forms" box should open.
When the RoboForm Toolbar has failed to load, and you right click in the tab, the context menu does not include any of the RoboForm commands that are normally there, so you cannot use a RMC to restore the toolbar or do anything else with RoboForm.
Obviously if Roboform fails to load with Avant you won't get the Roboform options. But as long as Roboform is running in the background you should always get the RMC options, or at least I have anyhow.....
((((TINMAN))))

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic

Post by Tinman57 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:08 am

pa1nkiller wrote:To be more specific to the issue I posted above - If I left-click a link and it opens in a new tab, the roboform (7.8.0.5) toolbar isn't there but if I right-click the link and open it in a new tab, the toolbar appears as normal.
No, you right mouse click on a blank portion of the page your on and select "Fill Forms". You will only get the Fill Forms and other Roboform options if Roboform is running in the background and not crashed.
((((TINMAN))))

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:13 am

Confirmed.
As pa1nkiller said " left-click a link and it opens in a new tab, the roboform toolbar isn't there but if I right-click the link and open it in a new tab, the toolbar appears as normal."

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:03 am

Tinman57 wrote:Obviously if Roboform fails to load with Avant you won't get the Roboform options. But as long as Roboform is running in the background you should always get the RMC options, or at least I have anyhow.....
RoboForm is loaded, and the toolbar is showing (and fully functional) in other currently open tabs. If I open a new empty tab, it may or may not have the RoboForm toolbar. If it doesn't, there are no RoboForm commands in the context menu for the tab (RMC in a blank area). If I go to a different tab that has the RoboForm toolbar, the RoboForm commands do appear in the context menu for that tab.

As I said originally, this bug showed up with build 187 and RoboForm 7.8.3.5, which were released within a few days of each other. Prior to that, I never had a tab open without the RoboForm toolbar. It was always there. And before installing those versions, I had never seen the "Loading" message appear in place of the RoboForm toolbar buttons.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:07 am

xiaobing wrote:Confirmed.
As pa1nkiller said " left-click a link and it opens in a new tab, the roboform toolbar isn't there but if I right-click the link and open it in a new tab, the toolbar appears as normal."
If I open a new empty tab, sometimes the RoboForm toolbar is there, and other times it's not. It's probably around half the time that the new empty tab doesn't have the toolbar. In this situation, no left or right clicks on links are involved, since I'm opening an empty new tab and not clicking on a link at all.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic

Post by Tinman57 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:14 am

mbrazil wrote:
Tinman57 wrote:Obviously if Roboform fails to load with Avant you won't get the Roboform options. But as long as Roboform is running in the background you should always get the RMC options, or at least I have anyhow.....
RoboForm is loaded, and the toolbar is showing (and fully functional) in other currently open tabs. If I open a new empty tab, it may or may not have the RoboForm toolbar. If it doesn't, there are no RoboForm commands in the context menu for the tab (RMC in a blank area). If I go to a different tab that has the RoboForm toolbar, the RoboForm commands do appear in the context menu for that tab.

As I said originally, this bug showed up with build 187 and RoboForm 7.8.3.5, which were released within a few days of each other. Prior to that, I never had a tab open without the RoboForm toolbar. It was always there. And before installing those versions, I had never seen the "Loading" message appear in place of the RoboForm toolbar buttons.
Sounds like it's an issue with Firefox, Roboform, and Avant or any combination of the three. I installed the new version of Avant and Roboform just a day apart and I don't have this problem using IE Standards rendering.
Have you tried it with any other engine? If you installed the Roboform update before the Avant update, you may want to try installing Avant on top of itself (don't un-install) and see if that fixes it, or visa-versa if you updated Avant first. Just a thought.....
((((TINMAN))))

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:56 am

Tinman57 wrote:Sounds like it's an issue with Firefox, Roboform, and Avant or any combination of the three. I installed the new version of Avant and Roboform just a day apart and I don't have this problem using IE Standards rendering.
Have you tried it with any other engine? If you installed the Roboform update before the Avant update, you may want to try installing Avant on top of itself (don't un-install) and see if that fixes it, or visa-versa if you updated Avant first. Just a thought.....
I doubt that Avant itself is involved, since the toolbar is entirely under the control of the Gecko engine. It's most likely a Gecko 16.0.1 problem, a RoboForm 7.8.3.5 problem, or an interaction between the two. It never occurred prior to build 187 (Gecko 16.0.1) and/or RoboForm 7.8.3.5.

I haven't tried it with the IE or Chrome engine, but I probably will if I can find the time. It's not something I can reproduce on demand, and using the IE or Chrome engine instead of Gecko really slows down what I'm doing, because equivalent extensions are not available, in almost all cases. Trying it with the full Firefox browser and RoboForm is also problematic, since it leaves me without many of the features I depend on in Avant. If the bug was reproducible on demand, it would be quick and easy to try.

As far as reinstalling Avant, BTDT. I also removed and reinstalled the RoboForm extension (not at the same time), which also made no difference. Since pa1nkiller is seeing the same symptoms resulting from clicking links as I am when I open new, empty tabs, and since reinstalling Avant made no difference, it seems that reinstalling Avant yet again is unlikely to have any positive effect.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:52 am

I haven't tried it with the IE or Chrome engine, but I probably will if I can find the time.
It only happens with firefox engine,no problem with IE/chrome engine.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:44 am

It seems that roboform has made some restrictions. When opening a link in a new tab via left click in Avant, roboforom refuses to load the toolbar. We cannot fix it.
I will report this problem to roboform.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:33 pm

xiaobing wrote:It seems that roboform has made some restrictions. When opening a link in a new tab via left click in Avant, roboforom refuses to load the toolbar. We cannot fix it.
I will report this problem to roboform.
This does not happen 100% of the time. When I open a new, empty tab (about:blank), the RoboForm toolbar usually does not load, but sometimes it does. It doesn't matter how I open the tab (from the menu, a toolbar button, or even typing about:blank into the address bar).

If RoboForm has added restrictions, why are the effects intermittent?

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:42 am

This does not happen 100% of the time. When I open a new, empty tab (about:blank), the RoboForm toolbar usually does not load, but sometimes it does. It doesn't matter how I open the tab (from the menu, a toolbar button, or even typing about:blank into the address bar).
It happens every time I open a new tab via left click(without pressing ctrl or shift key).Can you confirm this one?
Haven't seen the problem so far with these ways(from the menu, a toolbar button, typing about:blank into the address bar,or content menu)

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:24 am

xiaobing wrote:It happens every time I open a new tab via left click(without pressing ctrl or shift key).Can you confirm this one?
Haven't seen the problem so far with these ways(from the menu, a toolbar button, typing about:blank into the address bar,or content menu)
Believe it or not, for most of today, I can rarely get it to happen. I haven't changed anything that would affect Avant or RoboForm, but the bug has gone from happening almost 100% of the time to a very small percentage of the time. I have no idea what might be causing the change.

However, when it was still happening frequently, I have definitely had new tabs open without the RoboForm toolbar when the tabs were opened with a left click (without pressing the Ctrl key or the Shift key) from File>New>Blank Page, from a toolbar button, and from about:blank entered in the address bar. I'm not in the habit of opening new tabs from a context menu, so I can't say either way on that one, and since the RoboForm toolbar seems to be opening correctly almost all the time at the moment, testing it now would not provide reliable information. BTW, which context menu has the option to open a new, empty tab?

I just checked the version status for RoboForm, and they have released 7.4. I downloaded the "RoboForm for Avant Plug-in" again just now (I have NOT installed it), and the properties list the installer as Ver. 7.4.4. Should I go ahead and install the update or not?

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:23 am

Well,I didn't make myself clear.sorry about that.The left click I referred is "click left mouse button on a link and the link opens in a new tab" just as what pa1nkiller said.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:38 am

This is in the list of changes (release notes) for RoboForm 7.8.4.4:
* Firefox 16+: fix RF does not attach to new Firefox windows (popup or window from link).

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:46 am

A new version of Avant will come soon.