changing rendering engies

Help issues and Bug Reports for the current version that have been corrected can be found here. Only staff members may move threads to this forum.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

mathman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: 10 (64 bit)
Avant Version: 2016 utimate latest
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: IE11
Skin: Crystal (may vary)

changing rendering engies

Post by mathman » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:45 pm

There appears to be a problem in switching rendering engines. My experience is that I have to close Avant and then reopen after I switch in order for it to take effect.

Current example: before I opened this forum I had switched from Firefox to IE9. However, Avant is still acting as it would in Firefox (difference in spell check).

I raised this question a while ago, but it doesn't seem to have a satisfactory resolution. At the time I thought all I needed was to make the switch before going to a particular web site.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Re: changing rendering engies

Post by mbrazil » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:58 am

Its seems as though that is the way it's intended to work. BTW, to know for sure which engine was used to open a tab, check the icon displayed in the far-right end of the address bar, just to the left of the Go button. The engine in use for the currently displayed tab is identified by this icon.

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:57 pm

Did you open a new tab?

If you change the default render engine setting, only newly opened tabs will use the different engine. Currently open tabs will continue using the previous engine unless you change it via the go button drop down menu.

mathman
Avantic
Avantic

Post by mathman » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:15 pm

bigC wrote:Did you open a new tab?

If you change the default render engine setting, only newly opened tabs will use the different engine. Currently open tabs will continue using the previous engine unless you change it via the go button drop down menu.
I had been told in the past that the change only worked for new tabs. The situation I described was exactly that. I changed rendering engine and then opened this forum (new tab), but it still was working in the previous engine.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:34 am

mathman wrote:

I had been told in the past that the change only worked for new tabs. The situation I described was exactly that. I changed rendering engine and then opened this forum (new tab), but it still was working in the previous engine.
How do you open the new tab? It doesn't take effect if the open page comes from the previous page(for example,click a link) which using firefox engine. If you open a page via the address(input the address into the address bar or open a page via the bookmarks/autofill menu,etc), it should open with the ie rendering engine. It always works this way.
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

mathman
Avantic
Avantic

Post by mathman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:52 pm

Jasmine wrote:
mathman wrote:

How do you open the new tab? It doesn't take effect if the open page comes from the previous page(for example,click a link) which using firefox engine. If you open a page via the address(input the address into the address bar or open a page via the bookmarks/autofill menu,etc), it should open with the ie rendering engine. It always works this way.
I opened it using the Autofill entry (automatic login).

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:17 pm

mathman wrote: I opened it using the Autofill entry (automatic login).
That would open in an already open tab unless you shift click or if Tools > AB Options > New Tab > Always open new tab for > Autofills is selected.

mathman
Avantic
Avantic

Post by mathman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:44 pm

bigC wrote:
mathman wrote: I opened it using the Autofill entry (automatic login).
That would open in an already open tab unless you shift click or if Tools > AB Options > New Tab > Always open new tab for > Autofills is selected.
I did that and it appears to have solved the problem. Thanks!

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:48 am

Jasmine wrote: If you open a page via the address(input the address into the address bar or open a page via the bookmarks/autofill menu,etc), it should open with the ie rendering engine. It always works this way.
I missed one point that you should set to open them in new tabs. :oops:
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

mathman
Avantic
Avantic

Re: changing rendering engines

Post by mathman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:00 pm

I have discovered the complete solution to this problem (switching rendering engines). I found that if I close ALL tabs before switching, the switching takes place with no difficulty.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Re: changing rendering engines

Post by xiaobing » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:08 am

mathman wrote:I have discovered the complete solution to this problem (switching rendering engines). I found that if I close ALL tabs before switching, the switching takes place with no difficulty.
This method works too:
1 switch rendering engine
2 right click a tab>close all
3 Click the undo button(shift+ ctrl+Z).

mbrazil have made a request here: http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31573