I want everything saved!

Help issues and Bug Reports for the current version that have been corrected can be found here. Only staff members may move threads to this forum.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Browser Peeper
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP 3
Avant Version: Ultimate 2014 Build 2
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: IE 8
Skin: AthenX

I want everything saved!

Post by Browser Peeper » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:32 am

In addition to the Bookmarks, RSS Feeds and Auto Fills, it would be great if Avant Browser was designed to also save the other individual settings (such as the way the user has configured the appearance) as well. Sometimes the overall appearance and specific "button" choices are saved. Other times, however, those settings and choices have disappeared. Please make Avant Browser save all settings so that when on-line storage is utilized your Avant Browser always looks the same.
Thank you.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Re: I want everything saved!

Post by Jasmine » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:49 am

Actually everything should be saved, but if not that must be a problem. Could you attach some screenshots to explain in detail what settings Avant can't remember and where it forgets putting items to?
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

Browser Peeper
Fan
Fan

Post by Browser Peeper » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:56 am

Jasmine,
The appearance using the on-line storage facility varies at times. Most of the time, the appearance is correct in accordance to the way it was designed. From time to time, Avant seems to lose it's memory for the appearance of the skin and some of the buttons. The skin has reverted back to the default skin and the buttons have gone out or placement order and a couple of the buttons I placed are missing and replaced by others.

Here is a screen shot of the way my Avant Browser is supposed to look when using the on-line storage facility:
s Avant.jpg
Here is one example of how Avant appears when using the on-line storage. This is incorrect. The browser should look like the first picture. The deviance here is subtle as the placement of the buttons is correct. The difference is the skin which has reverted back to the default:
s incorrect Avant #1.jpg
It was coincidental that the on-line storage facility downloaded an incorrect appearing browser just after I received your request for screen shots because in attempting to cause it to "misbehave" now for the purpose of example and illustration, I can't make it malfunction except for the example shown here. Take my word for it, sometimes, it can be much worse causing the need to reconfigure almost everything except the bookmarks. There has only been one time that I recall when the bookmarks didn't appear correctly (several versions ago). Restarting Avant and logging back into on-line storage brought them back. The version I am utilizing now is 11.7 build 46 but all of the versions that I've used (I haven't used all of them) for about the past 6 years have had a problem with on-line storage "memory" of the type I've described here. That is why, I was surprised when you wrote in your response that 'everything is supposed to save' with the on-line storage function. I thought only the bookmarks, rss feeds and auto fills were supposed to save. And that the reappearance of other configurations including aesthetic ones was purely coincidental.

I will save the picture of the aesthetically correctly configured Avant Browser. The next time the appearance is really messed up I will post the comparative screen shots. For now, though, the pictures in this post will serve as “proof” that the Avant loses it's "memory" for the correct skin (at least) when utilizing the on-line storage.

Jasmine, thank you very much for your attention to this matter.

Browser Peeper
Fan
Fan

Post by Browser Peeper » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:04 am

There is a mistake in my most previous post. In that post I wrote "...all of the versions that I've used (I haven't used all of them) for about the past 6 years have had a problem with on-line storage "memory" of the type I've described here..."

the above should have read "...all of the versions I've used (I haven't used all of them) for about the past 2 years have had a problem with online storage "memory" of the type I've described here..."

The six years refers to the approximate total amount of time (I was thinking about) that I've used Avant Browser. Actually, come to think of it, the amount of time I've used Avant is closer to 7 years.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:42 pm

Save everything on a cd or get a external hard drive i have a 500 gig external. I :) save everything on it if you don't save it your self separate from you puter say something went wrong and you had to formatt even if you had stuff backed up on the puter it would be gone anyway.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:17 am

AXEMAN, how does what you're suggesting affect online storage and its savings of icon and toolbar positions?

flowrush
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Win7.64bit.HP
Avant Version: 2010b122
IE Version: 8.0.6001

Post by flowrush » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:06 am

It doesn't, I think he was just providing an alternative solution to the persistent problem.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:31 pm

If the online storage (which is what this issue affects) has a quirk (The OP describes the behavior as "sometimes" and "other times," so I'm not sure if "peristent" can really be applied here.), where it doesn't save toolbar or menu positioning, then backing up your configuration file would be an alternative. But, that would only help you at home, which defeats the purpose of the online storage.... unless you plan to carry this 500GB external hard drive around with you all of the time and hope that everyone doesn't mind you hooking it up to their computer when necessary.

However, my configuration file is less than 2MB... so why do we need a 500GB external hard drive to backup this file? This can be done on our own computer... or thumbdrive.

Are backups good? Absolutely. Is it a fix for this issue? I'm 99.9% sure it's not. Maybe, AXEMAN can elaborate, though, and I can see where I'm wrong. Otherwise, it seems to me like firing a shotgun at a fly. And, if you take into account that people typically make changes to things like bookmarks, autofills, and other settings, it seems a lot like Microsoft removing the Recycle Bin and then, when asked how to get a file back, recommending you pull it from a backup.

Still, just asking for an explanation. Certainly that's not this much of an issue.

By the way, it's been years since I steadily used online storage, but I know that for me, this happened consistently if I were to login from a new computer, or delete my local online storage configuration files. I thought it had been reported corrected at some point, but it happened to the exact same settings the OP addresses.

Browser Peeper
Fan
Fan

Post by Browser Peeper » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:44 pm

The on line storage lost it's "memory" again today and downloaded an incorrect appearing AB. Here, once again, is the way my AB is supposed to look:
s Avant.jpg
And, here is the way it incorrectly appeared today downloaded from on line storage:
s incorrect Avant # 2.jpg
And, to make it easy for you to make comparisons, here is the way it incorrectly appeared from the on line storage download a few days ago (at the time of my most recent post):
s incorrect Avant #1.jpg
This "discussion" started in "Requests". Then, Jasmine, you responded. So, now, it seems that this would actually be better classified as a "bug report". I'll leave the classification up to you.
This browser is version 11.7 build 46. This "bug" has also been extant in other versions. I would have reported it before except that I didn't know it was a "bug" until recently as I was under the impression that if aesthetics appeared from an on line download it was just coincidental. I thought the only "saves" were Bookmarks, RSS Feeds and AutoFills. I was advised by you, Jasmine, that everything should "save" including aesthetics of the browser as configured by the user. My experience has been that they do not consistently "save" so as to appear correctly.

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:19 pm

This bug was fixed in Avant v2010 build 8. The v11.7 branch is no longer being developed/maintained.
Jasmine wrote:* [Fix] Sometime configurations made for UI won't be saved

.:Volunteer support staff (regular user):.
I am not a member of the Avant / Orca development team
Please search this forum / the Wiki before posting questions
Forum Rules | Frequently Asked Questions | Active Topics

Browser Peeper
Fan
Fan

Post by Browser Peeper » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:00 am

kudos wrote:This bug was fixed in Avant v2010 build 8. The v11.7 branch is no longer being developed/maintained.
Jasmine wrote:* [Fix] Sometime configurations made for UI won't be saved
I'll switch to one of the 2010 versions (or whatever) when they remove all of the "bugs" from it. So far, what I've found is that the "bugs" in the 2010 versions I've tried (including build 8) are far worse than the "bugs" in version 11.7 build 46.