New Version: Avant Browser 10.0.121

Contains all announcements of Avant Browser releases.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:57 pm

gfd wrote:Anderson: congrats on the Unicode fixes,

But please don't leave the autocomplete fix for the next release -- either leave it as IE handles it (having a good autocomplete) or leave it up to user choice.

If you just reduce the autocomplete function to work as it's working in the betas, my guess is many people would be dissapointed to have to remember all urls they previously had in autocomplete by heart -- any other browser on earth gives them that, so they wouldn't use Avant if it had that crappy ( :wink: ) behaviour. It's very important; you are reducing the functionality. I realize there's a privacy concern, but I think it's better to have that than have no autocomplete at all.
I think he said he'd make it optional next release,
http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 7826#67826

gfd
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by gfd » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:11 pm

Yeah I had read that (that's what I was replying to, in fact), but understood that he was going to wait for the next release (not the one he expected to release this weekend) because he would need the translations for this option.

Well, don't know if I understood wrong or not, we'll see when the release is done :D

(thanks!)
ImageImage

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by bigC » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:42 pm

gfd wrote:Yeah I had read that (that's what I was replying to, in fact), but understood that he was going to wait for the next release (not the one he expected to release this weekend) because he would need the translations for this option.

Well, don't know if I understood wrong or not, we'll see when the release is done :D

(thanks!)
Oh, you might be right there. :-s If thats the case then my suggestion would be to leave it like it is in 035 untill you can make the change an optional thing.

gfd
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Avant Version:

Post by gfd » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:50 pm

bigC wrote:Oh, you might be right there. :-s If thats the case then my suggestion would be to leave it like it is in 035 untill you can make the change an optional thing.
Agreed.
ImageImage

NyNe
Avant Version:

Post by NyNe » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:52 pm

i know it was noted above but i thought i'd confirm, the 113 download does still say 112
3.4GHZ Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading
1GB RAM | 80GB Hard Drive
Windows XP Corporate SP2
Avant Browser 10.0 Build 121

gary100856
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by gary100856 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:54 pm

Here's an anomaly: I am using 113 now and I went to the Avant browser website and clicked the Forum link and it was blocked by the Popup blocker.

soccer5sg
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by soccer5sg » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:44 am

I've to say Avant needs to improve on the popup blocker than anything else.

gfd
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Avant Version:

Post by gfd » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:09 pm

And stability. There's a usual crash (at least for me) where ctrl+F (find) will often make Avant crash (hang for about 5 seconds and then show the standard Windows program fault error). I can't find a pattern, it's not by some particular pages, it's just it feels that "after a time of running" Avant feels it has to close itself, and it decides there's no better moment than when the user wants to find something in the page. (and yes I know there's a search bar)

I probably should report it in the bugs forum, it's just since it's still happening in this last beta I'll better say it here (it's happened for several releases).
ImageImage

Anderson
Support Staff
Support Staff
Avant Version:

Post by Anderson » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:33 pm

Maybe I could make a private version for you.

Anderson

bigC wrote:

But please don't leave the autocomplete fix for the next release -- either leave it as IE handles it (having a good autocomplete) or leave it up to user choice.

If you just reduce the autocomplete function to work as it's working in the betas, my guess is many people would be dissapointed to have to remember all urls they previously had in autocomplete by heart -- any other browser on earth gives them that, so they wouldn't use Avant if it had that crappy ( :wink: ) behaviour. It's very important; you are reducing the functionality. I realize there's a privacy concern, but I think it's better to have that than have no autocomplete at all.

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by bigC » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:27 pm

Anderson wrote:Maybe I could make a private version for you.

Anderson

bigC wrote:

Who, me? I don't understand. I thought you were going to put an option under AB Options? Use full or limited history in address bar autocomplete.

fuzzylogic
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

10.0 build 113 new window in background issue

Post by fuzzylogic » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:57 pm

I have 'new window' in Avant set to background. When I go to this site:

http://www.valbergsmenswear.ab.ca/downtown.asp

and click on the 'location in Edmonton Centre West' link I get a new window opened in the background. As soon as I try to select that window it closes by itself. It appears that page has some code in it to close when focus changes so there is no way to see this window unless I change Avant to open a new winndow in the foreground. I much prefer the new window in background setting so it would be nice to have some way to keep this window open until it's viewed and focus changes to another window. FWIW if I change the setting to new window in foreground the window stays around even after I change focus but disappears when I try to select it again. This happens regardless of wether or not the pop-up blocker is turned on.

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Small bug

Post by abfan123 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:16 pm

Hello
I've been found another bug :
When you have 2 tabs opened and write something in the address bar of second tab then go to first tab and second tab again it restore the current second tab address

gfd
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Avant Version:

Post by gfd » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:36 pm

bigC wrote:Who, me? I don't understand. I thought you were going to put an option under AB Options? Use full or limited history in address bar autocomplete.
Same confusion here :?
abfan123 wrote:Hello
When you have 2 tabs opened and write something in the address bar of second tab then go to first tab and second tab again it restore the current second tab address
I think that's on purpose. I prefer it this way, at least, because otherwise there'd be no way to see the current URL of the tab if you accidentally typed on the address bar since loading the page (Refresh doesn't work).
ImageImage

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:12 pm

gfd wrote:
bigC wrote:Who, me? I don't understand. I thought you were going to put an option under AB Options? Use full or limited history in address bar autocomplete.
Same confusion here :?
abfan123 wrote:Hello
I think that's on purpose. I prefer it this way, at least, because otherwise there'd be no way to see the current URL of the tab if you accidentally typed on the address bar since loading the page (Refresh doesn't work).
But if I wanna copy some address from 1 tab to another,It's annoying

crom
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by crom » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:16 pm

build 114 is out, folks!

same links as usual!
If I die I have to go before Crom and he will ask me:
"What is the rule of Steel?"
And if I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me!
That's Crom, strong on his mountain..

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:19 pm

crom wrote:build 114 is out, folks!

same links as usual!
Changelog?

gfd
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Avant Version:

Post by gfd » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:22 pm

Well, you could always first copy the address and then write what you need to write in the second tab and paste the address.

That said, I'm not sure I completely understood your point, so it might be annoying for you. If anything, this should be configurable from the options menu (I know some browsers -Firefox, for example- do work as you want, remembering what you have typed on each tab). Personally, I'd rather have a way of restoring the original address, which currently, albeit not very intuitive, works for that purpose :wink: .
ImageImage

gfd
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Avant Version:

Post by gfd » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:26 pm

same links as usual!
Same link as build 114? Gives me build 114 (tried downloading three times, switching browsers, with and without download manager)
ImageImage

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:29 pm

gfd wrote:

same links as usual!
Same link as build 114? Gives me build 114 (tried downloading three times, switching browsers, with and without download manager)
http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/142207-E5ZB/

http://avant.it-mate.co.uk/default.asp? ... &scat=Beta

gfd
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Avant Version:

Post by gfd » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:33 pm

You know what, I'm a moron :lol:

I somehow was looking for beta 115, forgetting I just read "Beta 114 is out".

Thanks, got it. :oops:
ImageImage