New Version: Avant Browser 10.0.121

Contains all announcements of Avant Browser releases.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Locked
User avatar
Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Posts: 6283
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 11:16 pm
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal
Location: Butler, PA

Post by Sara » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:46 pm

Try the download again using this link: http://www.avantbrowser.com/beta/absetupa.exe

If that diesn't work you may need to do a complete uninstall, including the conf.ini file--see here:

http://myhome.iolfree.ie/~lightbulb/sam ... tTip3.html

Sara :)

crom
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Posts: 688
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:40 pm
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:
Location: Milan, Italy
Contact:

Post by crom » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:31 pm

beta 111's downloadable. check it out.
If I die I have to go before Crom and he will ask me:
"What is the rule of Steel?"
And if I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me!
That's Crom, strong on his mountain..

User avatar
robc
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Posts: 988
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:33 pm
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate SP1
Avant Version: 11.6 Build 20
IE Version: 7
Location: Italy

Post by robc » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:14 pm

robc wrote:...er, to be completely honest there's still one smaaaaaaaaall quirk
I'm very happy to announce that the "quirk" is no more, in build 111. Great work as usual, Anderson! Ever notice how fast we are to say "good as usual" when things are going well ?! :wink: Just a little slower than it takes to say "pooh pooh" when they're not going so well... :mrgreen:
Image formerly known as Image

IanF
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:53 pm
Avant Version:

Post by IanF » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:27 pm

I've just installed beta 111 and I still suffer from the 2nd (and most popular, or least popular depending on your point of view :lol: ) item in the list of "what bugs me most".

http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... viewresult

I can make it happen every time, it appears to be when using sites involving https, particularly online banking and shopping websites.

Other than that all seems well.

Cheers,

IanF

User avatar
reiba
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:26 pm
Windows Version: WinXp Prof. SP3 all upd.
Avant Version: AB 11.6. b16
IE Version: IE 7.0 all updates
Location: Muttenz BL, Switzerland

Post by reiba » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:01 pm

JUHUI!
Also the favorites-sidepanel - search URL works now.
Great.

Everything else works ok for me!

Thank you

User avatar
jis
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Posts: 446
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:45 pm
Windows Version: WXPPSP3, WVHPSP2, W7U64
Avant Version: 11.7.0.46SR
IE Version: 8
Location: Czech Republic

Post by jis » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:55 pm

jis wrote:I am sorry Anderson, but AB 10 build 110 still have some problems with groups.

:arrow: First bug

When I have AB Interface Language set to Czech, I can work with groups:
Image

But, when I switch AB Interface Language to English, I get this:
Image

:arrow: Second bug

This is groups.dat file from example above. Why is group name in different coding than group item name?

Code: Select all

[ěščřžýáíéůú]
NAME1=ČESKÝ TELECOM - e-účet
LINK1=https://www.e-ucet.cz/eucethome/form/login.jsp
Both bugs are still present in Build 111. To the first one: I think that setting AB Interface Language to various locale has nothing to do with displaying groups in correct code page - especially when AB switch to Unicode. To the second one: Is there any reason to have different coding for group names and group item names?

I am just curious why above two thing are implemented in this way. Maybe they are not bugs but features. But I don't understand so far to reason for this, because when group names will be encoded in Unicode, then problem with displaying groups in correct code page under various AB Interface Language will have gone.
Avant user since the year 2003.

Anderson
Support Staff
Support Staff
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:11 am
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:
Contact:

Post by Anderson » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:27 am

Please try this version:
http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/1459 ... /avant.exe

Unicode is kind of complex. It's designed to display the interface and content correctly. For 99.9% users, they only uses their own language.

For groups, the links are unicode, but group names are not unicode. I think this is the best balance between languages I could do now.

If you have problems with displaying groups, please recreate them with this new version. Then they should be displayed correctly. If not, PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Thanks

jis wrote:
jis wrote:I am sorry Anderson, but AB 10 build 110 still have some problems with groups.

:arrow: First bug

When I have AB Interface Language set to Czech, I can work with groups:
Image

But, when I switch AB Interface Language to English, I get this:
Image

:arrow: Second bug

This is groups.dat file from example above. Why is group name in different coding than group item name?

Code: Select all

[ěščřžýáíéůú]
NAME1=ČESKÝ TELECOM - e-účet
LINK1=https://www.e-ucet.cz/eucethome/form/login.jsp
Both bugs are still present in Build 111. To the first one: I think that setting AB Interface Language to various locale has nothing to do with displaying groups in correct code page - especially when AB switch to Unicode. To the second one: Is there any reason to have different coding for group names and group item names?

I am just curious why above two thing are implemented in this way. Maybe they are not bugs but features. But I don't understand so far to reason for this, because when group names will be encoded in Unicode, then problem with displaying groups in correct code page under various AB Interface Language will have gone.

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Posts: 2488
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:09 am
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:
Location: Galway, Ireland
Contact:

Post by Sergei » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:42 am

Well done Anderson! How come it's so complex?
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL

User avatar
lykovaa
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:12 pm
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Post by lykovaa » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:59 am

bigC wrote:
lykovaa wrote:
Anderson wrote: It's not a problem, it's my decission.

IE has a bug that cannot delete all history completely sometime. Because of this bug, you will still get auto-drop-down URLs after clear all records.

I choose to display fewer URLs, but keep your privacy. You know, sometime, it's annoy that you cannot hide URLs you visited in your system.
Yes, you're right. But I think this feature is to be configured in Avant Browser's options. Because as for me, I prefer not to type in URLs like

http://www.somenewssite.com/european/
http://www.somenewssite.com/usa/
http://www.somenewssite.com/centraleurope/

etc. (the URLs are hypothetical) when the browser shows me just http://www.somenewssite.com and I have to remember the continuation of the URL and to type it by myself.

Can you make this feature configurable by user?
I tend to agree with lykovaa, I think this might be better as a decision users could make. Maybe have a check box under Tools > Avant Browser Options > Autocomplete...
Show only a limited url history for Address Autocomplete
Anderson,

did any decision have been made? I'd like just to check it for myself, that this feature (optional limited or full URL history) is planned and all I have to do is to wait for the next beta, or you won't realize it.

Thanks.
Anton Lykov, Russian translator for Avant Browser

gfd
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:28 pm
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:
Contact:

Post by gfd » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:41 pm

lykovaa wrote:
Anderson wrote: It's not a problem, it's my decission.

IE has a bug that cannot delete all history completely sometime. Because of this bug, you will still get auto-drop-down URLs after clear all records.

I choose to display fewer URLs, but keep your privacy. You know, sometime, it's annoy that you cannot hide URLs you visited in your system.
Yes, you're right. But I think this feature is to be configured in Avant Browser's options. Because as for me, I prefer not to type in URLs like

http://www.somenewssite.com/european/
http://www.somenewssite.com/usa/
http://www.somenewssite.com/centraleurope/

etc. (the URLs are hypothetical) when the browser shows me just http://www.somenewssite.com and I have to remember the continuation of the URL and to type it by myself.

Can you make this feature configurable by user? 'Cose as for me, being kind of Avant Browser follower, sometimes I'm nearly going to stop using it because of this feature absence :(

Everything else is ok. This is the only thing that makes me unhappy about Avant Browser :(
Completely agreed, full autocomplete is very necessary.

If by default most autocomplete results will be hidden, at least make that behaviour changeable in the settings -- I really don't care if not all are deleted when clearing history, I'd rather have the feature :wink:
ImageImage

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Posts: 5624
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:24 pm
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8
Contact:

Bug in check for updates

Post by abfan123 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:27 pm

Hello
I aware of a minor bug in "check for updates" feature
When it checking for updates
There are 2 buttons "yes" and "cancel"
What for??
Avant Browser 10 build 112 Beta
Windows XP Home Edition SP2
English
And also Secunia vulnerability not completely fixed

gfd
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:28 pm
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:
Contact:

Re: Bug in check for updates

Post by gfd » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:32 pm

abfan123 wrote:Hello
I aware of a minor bug in "check for updates" feature
When it checking for updates
There are 2 buttons "yes" and "cancel"
What for??
Good observation :)

Both cancel the check... "yes" should be removed.
ImageImage

User avatar
robc
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Posts: 988
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:33 pm
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate SP1
Avant Version: 11.6 Build 20
IE Version: 7
Location: Italy

Post by robc » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:58 pm

As far as I'm concerned, b112 works OK just as b111 did.
Image formerly known as Image

User avatar
jis
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Posts: 446
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:45 pm
Windows Version: WXPPSP3, WVHPSP2, W7U64
Avant Version: 11.7.0.46SR
IE Version: 8
Location: Czech Republic

Post by jis » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:52 pm

I haven't any problems with displaying groups when I have Interface Language set to Czech in version 111 and 112. I don't need to recreate groups with new version of AB.

I can create and edit groups when I have Interface Language set to Czech or English, but problem is that I cannot be able to display correctly groups names under other Interface Languages.

As I understand, you try to suggest me that with Unicode version of AB I must work only with Interface Language set to Czech?

Anderson wrote:Please try this version:
http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/1459 ... /avant.exe

Unicode is kind of complex. It's designed to display the interface and content correctly. For 99.9% users, they only uses their own language.

For groups, the links are unicode, but group names are not unicode. I think this is the best balance between languages I could do now.

If you have problems with displaying groups, please recreate them with this new version. Then they should be displayed correctly. If not, PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Thanks

jis wrote:
jis wrote:I am sorry Anderson, but AB 10 build 110 still have some problems with groups.

:arrow: First bug

When I have AB Interface Language set to Czech, I can work with groups:
Image

But, when I switch AB Interface Language to English, I get this:
Image

:arrow: Second bug

This is groups.dat file from example above. Why is group name in different coding than group item name?

Code: Select all

[ěščřžýáíéůú]
NAME1=ČESKÝ TELECOM - e-účet
LINK1=https://www.e-ucet.cz/eucethome/form/login.jsp
Both bugs are still present in Build 111. To the first one: I think that setting AB Interface Language to various locale has nothing to do with displaying groups in correct code page - especially when AB switch to Unicode. To the second one: Is there any reason to have different coding for group names and group item names?

I am just curious why above two thing are implemented in this way. Maybe they are not bugs but features. But I don't understand so far to reason for this, because when group names will be encoded in Unicode, then problem with displaying groups in correct code page under various AB Interface Language will have gone.
Avant user since the year 2003.

NyNe
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:46 am
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:
Contact:

Post by NyNe » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:48 am

im using windows xp sp2
and i have a HORRIBLE memory leak with 112
it's taking up 50% of my cpu usage
3.4GHZ Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading
1GB RAM | 80GB Hard Drive
Windows XP Corporate SP2
Avant Browser 10.0 Build 121

User avatar
robc
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Posts: 988
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:33 pm
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate SP1
Avant Version: 11.6 Build 20
IE Version: 7
Location: Italy

Post by robc » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:42 am

NyNe wrote:im using windows xp sp2
and i have a HORRIBLE memory leak with 112
it's taking up 50% of my cpu usage
Then are you having a memory leak, are you using too much CPU cycles, or both? It's not nitpicking, though it may seem, since these are two very different and unrelated things. Also, 50% CPU usage should not be that bad if, for example, Avant is trying to download 50 pages at once... I've just had it top 30% with about 20 pages, but then again usage is variable, in a few seconds, while downloading those 20 pages, it was ranging between 1% and 30%, settling down below 4-5% thereafter.
Image formerly known as Image

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Posts: 5624
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:24 pm
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8
Contact:

Post by abfan123 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:43 am

NyNe wrote:im using windows xp sp2
and i have a HORRIBLE memory leak with 112
it's taking up 50% of my cpu usage
Weird
I also have Windows XP Service Pack 2 and it take 01% cpu usage

w0wkin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:19 am
Avant Version:

112 still have bugs with groups

Post by w0wkin » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:29 am

I have windows xp sp2 eng (default language for NON-unicode programs - RUSSIAN) installed and avant browser last beta build 112 installed over ...035 build
Here is some screenshots:

Language interface - russian

http://www.hot.ee/w2k/avant-rus.jpg

Language interface - english

http://www.hot.ee/w2k/avant-eng.jpg

NyNe
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:46 am
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:
Contact:

Post by NyNe » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:47 am

robc wrote:
NyNe wrote:im using windows xp sp2
and i have a HORRIBLE memory leak with 112
it's taking up 50% of my cpu usage
Then are you having a memory leak, are you using too much CPU cycles, or both? It's not nitpicking, though it may seem, since these are two very different and unrelated things. Also, 50% CPU usage should not be that bad if, for example, Avant is trying to download 50 pages at once... I've just had it top 30% with about 20 pages, but then again usage is variable, in a few seconds, while downloading those 20 pages, it was ranging between 1% and 30%, settling down below 4-5% thereafter.
since im not really a developer i dont exactly know what to look for, but i had maybe 5 pages open at most - and if you look at my comp stats in my sig you'll see i definately shouldnt be expecting a browser of all things to take half my resources - but it didnt settle it stayed at 50 for about an hour - i had been running it for a while before that though

if you tell me what to look for i can post it up next time - all i was using was standard task manager to view it though
3.4GHZ Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading
1GB RAM | 80GB Hard Drive
Windows XP Corporate SP2
Avant Browser 10.0 Build 121

User avatar
robc
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Posts: 988
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:33 pm
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate SP1
Avant Version: 11.6 Build 20
IE Version: 7
Location: Italy

Post by robc » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:20 pm

Then it was not a memory leak, it looks as some kind of "freeze" but then CPU should have gone to about 100%, not 50%. Can you post the links to the pages you were browsing at the moment? did you notice anything else in Avant (sluggy interface, links not working etc.) or in other running applications? Which was the memory footprint of Avant during the "episode"?
Image formerly known as Image

Locked