Avant Update

Discuss Avant Browser. Do not post support requests, bug reports, suggestions for new or improved features, etc. here. Put those in the Help, Bug Reports, and Requests forums, respectively.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

gah
Windows Version: windows 7
Avant Version: Ultimate 2014, build 7
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Dream

Avant Update

Post by gah » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:10 pm

Avant has not been updated to reflect new versions of Chrome rendering engine. I am a fan of Avant and use it most of the time, but am concerned about the delays in updating the rendering engines

gah
Windows Version: windows 7
Avant Version: Ultimate 2014, build 7
Skin: Dream

Avant Browser update of Chrome rendering engine

Post by gah » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:05 pm

Please answer my question regarding updating google chrome rendering engine in Avant Browser. The current version used by Avant is an outdated version.

Merged this post to this thread - hornakapopolis

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Skin: Stickers

Re: Avant Update

Post by hornakapopolis » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:26 pm

I merged your two threads because I'm assuming the first post is to what your second post was referring. (Your other posts were from October of last year.) A couple of pointers... First, if you want people to reference something from another one of your posts, you should reply in that thread, not start a new thread. Otherwise, people won't know what you're talking about. (And if you accidentally start a new thread, still go reply to the original. The staff here will clean things up. ;)) Second, if you want people to answer your question... you need to ask a question. You made a comment regarding Avant's Chrome engine not being updated and being concerned about the delays. There's no question there, so that's probably why you didn't get the response you wanted. This being the forum to discuss Avant (as opposed to the Help forum), most people probably don't have the concerns you do and didn't feel the need to comment on your comment.

Regarding your concern as to the security of the engine, nothing has really changed regarding Avant's development (as far as I know) since you were told this awhile back in another exchange where you were concerned about the security of the engines.

Since it looks like the security of the engines is a huge concern for you, here's what I'd suggest:

1) Look for a browser than has a development team and no structured release schedule that can add, debug, and release updates as each engine gets updated. I don't know of any browsers that do this, but I don't think Avant is ever going to meet those two criteria.

2) Keep track of security releases for the engines (or whichever engine you use). Most engine updates are going to bug fixes, so being on the most up-to-date version isn't that big of a deal. If something has a huge security risk in v8 and you're on v9, but v45,023,423,434 just got released with another set of bug fixes, you're not really missing out on anything as long as you're having an acceptable browsing experience.

...ya know... I had a third, but have completely forgotten it while typing this post. Personally, Avant is updated enough that, in my opinion, if your keep your computer secure and browse smart, you don't have to worry about this or post a question about it every couple of months. Most of the security problems people have on the internet isn't because of an outdated browsing engine, it's because they aren't paying attention to what they're doing and put something on their computer themselves.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Re: Avant Update

Post by xiaobing » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:55 am

The new version is on the way.We're testing the new engines now.