Remove pop-up window when downloading files

Discuss Avant Browser. Do not post support requests, bug reports, suggestions for new or improved features, etc. here. Put those in the Help, Bug Reports, and Requests forums, respectively.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

UglyStuff
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version: Avant 2014
Default engine: IE
IE Version: IE 8
Skin: Standard

Remove pop-up window when downloading files

Post by UglyStuff » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:12 pm

Hi guys,

New here, so play nice! I have a question based on my use of Avant Browser (latest portable) on a .Net interface we run on our Intranet.

To keep it simple, let's say this is some kind of ticketing interface, where we receive and send email to our contacts, and when they send us attachments, clicking on the link to download them makes a pop-up appear, that's not there when working from Internet Explorer. Even when the "What do you want to do with this file? Open, Save as, Cancel?" dialogue box shows up, this pop-up remains open!

Since this interface relies on the .Net framework, I have to use the IE rendering engine, otherwise, some content doesn't appear (TinyMCE, for example), and in the message frame, I see all the HTML tags, which render the text itself almost impossible to read, but that's another issue, one I won't broach here.

My question is, how can I make sure that pop-up stops appearing every time I download, say, a PDF file from the ticketing interface?

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Re: Remove pop-up window when downloading files

Post by bigC » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:34 pm

Try Tools > Downloads then hit Options and uncheck "Take over browser's file download"

UglyStuff

Post by UglyStuff » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:59 pm

Hey bigC,

Thanks so much for replying so quickly. Must be a busy day in the Big Apple, though! I'll try what you pointed me at tomorrow and let you know if it worked. Again, thanks for taking the time!

UglyStuff

Post by UglyStuff » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:11 pm

Hi again,

I followed bigC's advice, but the option he (she?) mentioned was already unchecked. I've still got those ugly pop-ups showing when I download files from this .Net interface.

Strangely enough, as I mentioned, they don't show when I use Internet Explorer, regardless of the version (we've still got servers using IE7, and newer ones running IE9). I know that Avant is more or less a shell based on IE's rendering engine, so I can't for the life of me understand why those pop-ups appear AND STAY THERE in Avant (or Maxthon, for that matter), when they disappear as soon as I've chosen what to do with the downloaded files from the usual dialogue (Save, Open, Cancel).

This is driving me nuts! :crazy:

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:25 pm

It sounds like a poorly coded IE-specific pop-up, which have been known to have issues with IE shells. Is it possible to get a screenshot of it?

uhappyy
Windows Version: Windows 64-bit
Avant Version: 10
Default engine: google
IE Version: 7
Skin: black

Post by uhappyy » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:59 am

Must be a busy day in the Big Apple, though! I'll try what you pointed me at tomorrow and let you know if it worked. Again, thanks for taking the time!

_________
GuL