Microsoft realized their mistakes...

Discuss Avant Browser. Do not post support requests, bug reports, suggestions for new or improved features, etc. here. Put those in the Help, Bug Reports, and Requests forums, respectively.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Re: Microsoft realized their mistakes...

Post by mbrazil » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:18 am

keza wrote:First off all stop saying that I do not know what I'm talking about!

None of the Firefox, IE, and Chrome extensions that are intended to modify or add to the Firefox, IE, or Chrome user interface work with Avant, because Avant doesn't use the user interfaces from these browsers -- it has its own (in fact, that's all Avant really is -- a front end/user interface that uses the Firefox, IE, and Chrome rendering engines).
Not correct! I have 7 extensions that work perfectly with AB. These are:

AdBlock plus with my own filters
Download status bar (very handy)
Magic actions for Youtube
Norton vulnerability Protection
NoScript
Self-destructing Cookies
Turn off the lights

These extensions works perfectly with AB.
Not only that, but browser extensions add security risks and slow the browser down, and some of them have memory leaks and other coding problems that can make the browser unstable. You need to research and test them carefully, or you'll end up with problems (this is true for all browsers, not just Avant)
I know that because I tested it all. No leaks what so ever and what the security concern the browser is more secure with AdBlock plus, Norton vulnerability Protection, NoScript and Self-destructing Cookies.
So, it's best to use as few extensions as possible.
Correct!
In addition, there aren't extensions available to replace most of the features that Anderson removed from Avant --
I have no idea over what features you are talking about?
in fact, there are very few that could, because they'd have to be written for the Avant user interface.
That's not true. You can perfectly install any FF extension in the Add-on bar and then make it visible in AB because you can customize the FF add-on toolbar.
You cannot move buttons from any Firefox toolbar to an Avant toolbar, and vice versa.
I can. Do you now of the function Add-on buttons? Well you can go to options and attach an add-on for IE and then make it also work with AB and make it visible in AB. I have Turn off the lights and PW Depot 7 without problems in AB but yes not all the extensions work that way.
The new Avant may be adequate for your limited needs, but for an Avant power user, it's just a flashy looking shadow of what Avant used to be and used to be capable of. IT SUCKS!
Have you ever used the tweaks for FF? Type in the bar about:config and say then that I have limit needs!
because you never used the versions of Avant that had the features, functions, toolbars, and buttons that are now missing
So give me examples of what YOU are talking about...

keza, after this post, I'm giving up on you. I don't know what your problem is -- maybe you don't read English all that well. If you answer someone else's point with an off-topic response, then you literally don't know what you're talking about, and in almost every instance, your rebuttals don't relate to the specifics of the issues I wrote about.

None of the extensions you listed have anything to do with the Avant user interface. Not a single extension written to affect the Firefox user interface has any effect whatsoever on the Avant user interface. They all work strictly with the rendering engine. If you can't understand that difference, there's no point in my trying to explain anything to you.

As far as your comment regarding security, I'm talking about security vulnerabilities in the extensions' coding. There are many extensions written by unknown authors, and like any other code, they can introduce vulnerabilities that can be exploited. Yes, AdBlock Plus and Norton do provide some additional security, but they don't protect you against a vulnerability in the code of some other extension that their software engineers aren't aware of.

If you're not willing to spend a little time reading the forums to find out what I and many others have been discussing regarding the removed features in the newer builds of Avant, I'm not going to waste my time repeating what I've already written extensively about. It's all there if you're willing to read about it.

Speaking of reading, if you'd read my posts in this thread more carefully and thoroughly, you wouldn't have replied with comments like the one about how your extensions work fine. Read my posts in this thread again. I'm talking about one thing, and you're answering with something that's unrelated.

And since you complained about what I said, how about if you stop trying to tell me I haven't explored all of Avant's capabilities. I am well aware of what it can and can't do, and there's no way to get back the specific features Anderson removed unless he's willing to put them back. Do you actually understand the difference between the user interface and the rendering engines? It doesn't seem like it.

Goodbye keza. I'm going to block you from now on, because I'm not willing to waste any more of my time discussing this with someone who obviously isn't willing to take the time to at least read carefully before responding with comments that have nothing to do with what's actually being discussed.

keza
Windows Version: Windows Xp sp3
Avant Version: Ultimate 2016 build 9
Default engine: FireFox 48.0.1
IE Version: IE8
Skin: Crystal

Post by keza » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:36 pm

And you go rattling and complaining on about features that you’re missing that you had in the old days. The future is all about simplicity and not surfing with ten windows open in the browser. That is not practical. I’m in the IT business and I know what I’m talking about and there is nothing important missing in AB except the overall speed. Everyone that complains off missing features has not looked under the hood. So simple is this!

I hoped that you had given me some examples what you’re missing in AB so we can look together for some solutions for you but you give me none whatsoever and all that you do is rattling on with browsing with AB on the old days. Maybe time for settling down and get a new hobby then this BS?

Have a nice day and I’m also shutting this topic down.

Good day!

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:13 pm

keza wrote:Have a nice day and I’m also shutting this topic down.
You aren't, but I am.