The most annoying changes and omissions in build 107

Discuss Avant Browser. Do not post support requests, bug reports, suggestions for new or improved features, etc. here. Put those in the Help, Bug Reports, and Requests forums, respectively.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

The most annoying changes and omissions in build 107

Post by mbrazil » Tue May 14, 2013 5:59 pm

I've finally got build 107 set up as closely as possible to the way I usually use Avant, and I've been trying to make do with it. Unfortunately, this isn't working out any better than I expected. The following is a list of the things that are changed and the things that don't exist anymore that I find to be the most annoying, frustrating, and unacceptable. They are not in any particular order.

Skins button cannot be disabled.
New tab button (+) to the right of the last tab button in the Tabs Bar cannot be disabled.
New Go button and Standard Buttons don't match the Monai XP skin like they used to.
New Standard Buttons are bigger than the classic ones were (classic buttons set to small size).
All of the toolbars, the Status Bar, and the title bar are taller than they used to be.
Can't drag Status Bar so it occupies the same line as another toolbar.
Can't move Sidebar to the left side.
Can't change width of Sidebar.
Font size in Sidebar is too small.
Cannot increase the vertical size of the window.
Window borders are too wide and don't match the skin in use.
Border dragging is very buggy and hard to use.
Sidebar partially overlaps Firefox toolbars and Firefox extension toolbars.
Build 107 is incompatible with Actual Window Manager.
Cannot change the order of the Standard Buttons and no dividers are available.
Delays when using Avant Browser Options.
Buttons are missing from Search Bar (partially replaced by drop-down lists).

The bottom line is that using build 107 is so frustrating it's making my blood pressure go up! I like it even less than I did initially now that I've been forcing myself to use it. If I keep using build 107 or future builds that have any of the above problems, I think I'll end up having another heart attack. Please, please, please separate the new UI into a separate version of Avant and give us back the Avant we used to have (just fix the bugs, already)!

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Re: The most annoying changes and omissions in build 107

Post by AXEMAN » Tue May 14, 2013 6:36 pm

MIKE i too am going to have heart attack for real i take alot of meds as you know. MY doctor checked it said way to high and he doubled up my blood pressure pills .Then asked if i had any stress going on i said are you serrious i am dissabled have to take a very large amount of narcotics i can barely function and the 20 other meds i have to take i said well other than that i am just peachy then i said you should know this :thumbdown:

knockoutrock
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by knockoutrock » Tue May 14, 2013 7:49 pm

Agree in all above, and for me the most annoying is that U can NOT put the close tab (x) up in the right
corner where the change skin now are placed :twisted: As it is now with multiple tabs open U have to move
the mouse cursor to a more specific place on the tab to close it instead of a place that is static (always
in the same place).

Is it really necessary to change skin in the middle of a surf session ?

mekd
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by mekd » Fri May 17, 2013 1:14 pm

I totally agree with the reservations from build 107.

I really appreciate Anderson for the enormous project he has been single handed creating over the years. But, usually changes in the functions of a program or its UI come as a response to users suggestions/requests/complaints. I do not recall anyone asking for the overhaul of the interface as done here.

For me the lack of ability to rearrange the buttons on the Toolbar is particularly annoying. And where the options to have text under the buttons or have big/small buttons?

brawnymike
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: 7 (32 bit)
Avant Version: Ult 2013 bld 23
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 10
Skin: Aero Glass

Post by brawnymike » Sat May 18, 2013 8:47 pm

mekd wrote:I totally agree with the reservations from build 107.

I really appreciate Anderson for the enormous project he has been single handed creating over the years. But, usually changes in the functions of a program or its UI come as a response to users suggestions/requests/complaints. I do not recall anyone asking for the overhaul of the interface as done here.

For me the lack of ability to rearrange the buttons on the Toolbar is particularly annoying. And where the options to have text under the buttons or have big/small buttons?
I couldn't have said it better, especially the sentence I've highlighted.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Mon May 20, 2013 5:30 am

mekd wrote: For me the lack of ability to rearrange the buttons on the Toolbar is particularly annoying. And where the options to have text under the buttons or have big/small buttons?
These will be added when the current version is stable.

abuser
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 & 8.1
Avant Version: Latest
Default engine: Based on requirement
IE Version: IE 11
Skin: Opal Glass

Post by abuser » Sun May 26, 2013 2:23 pm

xiaobing wrote:
mekd wrote: For me the lack of ability to rearrange the buttons on the Toolbar is particularly annoying. And where the options to have text under the buttons or have big/small buttons?
These will be added when the current version is stable.
then why did you release this half boiled version??

abuser
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 & 8.1
Avant Version: Latest
Default engine: Based on requirement
IE Version: IE 11
Skin: Opal Glass

Post by abuser » Sun May 26, 2013 2:41 pm

Special thanks to you mike for detailed testing & reporting!! :clap:

i second you......

couple of most irritating things what i noticed in this (even in few last builds as well) are

1. from options even if you select if closed then minimize to sys tray, instead it exits!!
2. click on history icon it used open a pane left side...having used it for years no i am finding it too tough when the opens right side
3. open a tab visit any site...wait till it loads completely then open another tab in address bar still the URL of previous tab/site appears......this is confusing & irritating
4. delete skin file from avant folder it doesn't makes any changes still you will get to see same icons (skin what you had selected!!)
5. even replacing skin file doesnt makes any difference!!

as you mentioned since nobody asked for any of these UI changes so i dont understand why these were introduced!! is it an experiment with users?