Your suggestion about the Avant interface

Discuss Avant Browser. Do not post support requests, bug reports, suggestions for new or improved features, etc. here. Put those in the Help, Bug Reports, and Requests forums, respectively.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Re: Your suggestion about the Avant interface

Post by mbrazil » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:58 pm

Even starting the classic UI in Compact View is a mistake, in my opinion.

creep
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: 7/64 - AMD A8 4.2GHz 8GB RAM
Avant Version: 2017 Build 07 Ultimate
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Dream

Post by creep » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:05 am

I agree too - install the UI rather than the Awkward_UI by default. I don't see any point in trying to scare off users - new and existing ? However, I much prefer the compact view - I don't like wasting space.

Just because some bad, but heavily marketed, browsers are widely used, it doesn't mean Avant will become widely used if it also becomes bad.

(I don't like to use the term "classic" because it is tantamount to saying it is being phased out, whereas I see no reason to lose the UI. In fact, I see no reason for the Awkward_UI. However, people are different, times change etc, and I'm sure that one day some people will wonder what sort of strange people use the UI rather than the Awkward_UI)

Also, it might be a good idea for Avant to create and maintain two separate profiles (in the profile folder) to save annoying users further. On top of that, it might be better if the UI skins were listed above the Awkward skins AND specifically say in the list why they are separate as it is not obvious and some users will think the have just trashed the browser...

When I switched from UI to Awkward and save changes in Awkward ... then realized I didn't like Awkward, I switched back to UI only to realise that that the profile now needed straightening out. Maintaining separate profiles would allow people to flip flop if they so desire. That might even encourage a greater take up of Awkward ... :wink:

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:40 am

I agree with you guys as well :)

lolo1
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows 10 64Bit
Avant Version: Latest
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: EDGE
Skin: Sitck Glass / Dream

Post by lolo1 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:56 pm

mbrazil wrote:
xiaobing wrote:About the avant icon on upper left,how do you think the suggestion of lolo1?
The pictures are no longer there, so I have no idea what his/her suggestion is.

Hi , for you i upload again my pictures :

Here you can see my ideas about ideal skin : http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32039

I agree that a lot of people are saying : New user want a "compact" and streamlined Interface, for me chrome interface look very nice , the only problem with chrome interface is : There is no Bookmarks and autofill menu !
An icon or a "star" for bookmark is ridiculous , user don't want to clic in a small icon to acces bookmarks ! :thumbdown:
or let the choice to user ( menu or icon) ...

My ideal skin is :

I think that :

Avant browser menu , Bookmarks/autofill menu and tabs must be all in the first line.

Because: Menu is important , bookmark are very important and tabs is the most important....

Climhazard
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Lite x64
Avant Version: 2012 Build 197
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: N/A
Skin: Aero Glass

Post by Climhazard » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:37 pm

Avant browser menu , Bookmarks/autofill menu and tabs must be all in the first line.
This sounds good, i'm only worried about Tab Bar space, which could be too small when browser is not maximized or for users with small displays.

Maybe cut that " Browser" text part from "Avant Browser" button to save a little more space.

Also if it could be possible in new UI implementation, i would like to see classic navigation bar or at least same configurability features.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:27 pm

Essentially, the best UI would allow users to place all visual components of the UI (buttons, menus, toolbars, etc.) individually wherever they want. I've used some apps (not browsers) that provide this level of configurability, and I tend to choose apps that provide this over competing apps, even if the competing apps are somewhat better in other ways.

Why should we have to argue about which UI components should be where? :thumbdown: If we could move everything around to wherever we want it, we'd all have the ideal (personalized) user interface! :clap:

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:42 am

Please try the test version about the new UI here: http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32498
This is not the final shape. Your suggestions here will be collected and sent to Anderson later.

dark_n1ghtmar3
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: windows 8 pro 64 bit
Avant Version: n/a
Default engine: firefox
IE Version: n/a
Skin: n/a

Post by dark_n1ghtmar3 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:15 pm

mbrazil wrote:Essentially, the best UI would allow users to place all visual components of the UI (buttons, menus, toolbars, etc.) individually wherever they want. I've used some apps (not browsers) that provide this level of configurability, and I tend to choose apps that provide this over competing apps, even if the competing apps are somewhat better in other ways.

Why should we have to argue about which UI components should be where? :thumbdown: If we could move everything around to wherever we want it, we'd all have the ideal (personalized) user interface! :clap:
i agree 100% with this statement i would really like to put my tabs on bottom with the new style but not sure its possible with the new interface

creep
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: 7/64 - AMD A8 4.2GHz 8GB RAM
Avant Version: 2017 Build 07 Ultimate
IE Version: 11

Post by creep » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:47 pm

I'm afraid I have no inclination to try the new bad UI again. I have the latest Avant version installed but I'm sticking with the good UI.

If I wanted a bad UI, I may as well use Chrome or IE. The reason I use Avant is that it is vastly superior to those barebones browsers. OK, some people like a bit of this and a bit of that, or some gimmick or other, but for actually getting lots of work (work might mean leisure) done, there is no comparison. The good Avant UI is excellent (though not perfect).

I think that instead of wasting time trying to make Avant as bad as the others, why not just let those people looking for bad browsers go - and concentrate on keeping Avant as the best, most accomplished and most productive browser ?

Why should anyone switch to Avant if it looks as bad as the heavily marketed browsers ? :crazy:

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:18 am

:clap: :) :) :clap:

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:59 pm

Ya bro :clap: :thumbup: :clap:

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
Skin: N/A

Post by Tinman57 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:26 pm

creep wrote:I'm afraid I have no inclination to try the new bad UI again. I have the latest Avant version installed but I'm sticking with the good UI.

If I wanted a bad UI, I may as well use Chrome or IE. The reason I use Avant is that it is vastly superior to those barebones browsers. OK, some people like a bit of this and a bit of that, or some gimmick or other, but for actually getting lots of work (work might mean leisure) done, there is no comparison. The good Avant UI is excellent (though not perfect).

I think that instead of wasting time trying to make Avant as bad as the others, why not just let those people looking for bad browsers go - and concentrate on keeping Avant as the best, most accomplished and most productive browser ?

Why should anyone switch to Avant if it looks as bad as the heavily marketed browsers ? :crazy:
Just take a look at the Avant Browser Request forum, it's got hundreds of suggestions for improvements, or what some people consider improvements. Add a button here, add a button there, add this, add that, make it do this, make it do that. That's fine, but the more you add, the more complicated it becomes and the more bugs introduced, not to mention more complicated to use and configure. There's got to be a trade-off somewhere, but where? :eh:
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:51 am

Tinman57 wrote: Just take a look at the Avant Browser Request forum, it's got hundreds of suggestions for improvements, or what some people consider improvements. Add a button here, add a button there, add this, add that, make it do this, make it do that. That's fine, but the more you add, the more complicated it becomes and the more bugs introduced, not to mention more complicated to use and configure. There's got to be a trade-off somewhere, but where? :eh:
We often add the request which is needed by more users first. If a feature may cause serious problem,we'll remove it.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:27 am

Some suggestions for adding things can actually simplify the program by consolidating menus, etc. I think it's also likely that adding some things actually results in fixing some bugs, since reworking part of the code can eliminate a bug or make the source of the bug noticeable during the rework.

I'm willing to put up with the necessity of some additional debugging as a trade-off for some of the things I've suggested. It seems like many of the new bugs that we've been dealing with since the 2013 alpha became available are the result of the major UI changes, not implementation of user suggestions. As a matter of fact, it seems like there hasn't been much time applied to implementing suggestions compared to reworking the entire UI for no good reason.

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe
Windows Version: 10 64-bit
Avant Version: 2018 Build 7 USB
IE Version: 11.51.14393.0

Post by Dreamer » Sat May 04, 2013 12:49 pm

xiaobing wrote:We will make some changes about the old and new interface on the basis of "not lose configurability".
Sad it's failed. Configurability is much worse in build 107, no title bar, no AERO, unable to reorder buttons, unable to remove some items, ugly compact style mode which is always on now, issues when changing skin, main window size not saved and even more new bugs... :(
Dreamer

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Sat May 04, 2013 9:05 pm

Climhazard wrote:
mbrazil wrote:My preference would be for the Avant icon to be the same size as the buttons in the Standard Buttons bar without the Avant Browser text label. For me, it's all about not consuming space that I could otherwise use for other buttons, toolbars, etc. As far as I can see, the larger icon would just be for show, and the label is unnecessary.

Avant used to be a great browser with a lot of good features that other browsers don't have and a clean, efficient user interface. All these "improvements" in the new UI just detract from what made Avant great in the first place.
Exactly :thumbup:

Striving to copy commercial browsers is a wrong way to go. I chose Avant for everyday use because it isn't a copy of those. If you really must change the interface please don't put it as the main UI, at least until everything works without any bugs, and reaches the point of configurability/customization "old" UI has.
I concur. Should never try to be a copy of alternate browsers - it detracts from what Avant was meant to be, instead simply becoming "another one of those".

Concentrate on the stability and resource usage issues, and only then, focus on new features, and only then, if;

1. They will not result in potential security issues
2. They do not hamper the stability/resource usage issues

I'd also suggest getting rid of the rather large and unnecessary "A" icon. There was nothing wrong with the old UI.

Based on comments from those I've pointed to Avant recently, I'd also suggest NOT making the compact style, the default.

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Sat May 04, 2013 9:08 pm

xiaobing wrote:
Tinman57 wrote: Just take a look at the Avant Browser Request forum, it's got hundreds of suggestions for improvements, or what some people consider improvements. Add a button here, add a button there, add this, add that, make it do this, make it do that. That's fine, but the more you add, the more complicated it becomes and the more bugs introduced, not to mention more complicated to use and configure. There's got to be a trade-off somewhere, but where? :eh:
We often add the request which is needed by more users first. If a feature may cause serious problem,we'll remove it.
I'd normally drop Anderson an email regarding issues, but can't at present as my email is down.

With regards to adding requests, if there's even a small risk of it causing problems, serious or otherwise, I'd strongly suggest testing be done before it's put into the main release (may result in more alpha/beta versions, but will prove worthwhile in the long term).

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe

Post by Dreamer » Sun May 05, 2013 10:53 am

MysteryFCM wrote:I'd normally drop Anderson an email regarding issues, but can't at present as my email is down.
Good idea, my email is "up". :)
Dreamer

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe

Post by Dreamer » Sun May 05, 2013 10:59 am

My suggestion, please, at least move the "UP" button next to "back" and "forward" buttons.
Dreamer

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
Skin: N/A

Post by Tinman57 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:55 pm

Dreamer wrote:My suggestion, please, at least move the "UP" button next to "back" and "forward" buttons.
Hellz yeah! Who in their right mind puts the Up button away from the other page controls????? :?:
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)