Avant Browser 2012 RC 2

Discuss Avant Browser. Do not post support requests, bug reports, suggestions for new or improved features, etc. here. Put those in the Help, Bug Reports, and Requests forums, respectively.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

dutchdummy
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2012 RC 2
IE Version: IE 8

Avant Browser 2012 RC 2

Post by dutchdummy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:24 pm

I've been using Orca Browser for quite a while now, mostly because I preferred a Firefox-based browser rather than IE-based Avant. Both Avant and Orca had weird and annoying bugs, though Orca's never got fixed because it hadn't been updated almost 2 years.

But now I've just installed Avant Browser 2012 RC 2 and my first impression is...I love it!! :D The most noticeable thing about the browser is that it's lightning fast. Web pages I regularly visit that seemed to take their sweet time loading now load with a swiftness that is noticeably and markedly faster. This new Avant is advertised to be a 'dual-core' browser, compatible with both IE and Firefox. When I pull up Windows Task Manager, I see 2 entries for the browser: Avant and Firefox. If I open a series of tabbed web sites, the memory for the latter increases while the memory for Avant remains at a very small level. This suggests to me that Avant is primarily based on Firefox but compatible with IE. This is good news to me as there were some significant differences between the way the old Avant and Orca rendered web pages, and I preferred the way Firefox (and Orca) displayed them.

I haven't played around with Avant for long, so this is just my initial impression. But it's a good one. I'm looking forward to seeing how well it performs long term and to hear from other users' experiences.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Re: Avant Browser 2012 RC 2

Post by AXEMAN » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:09 pm

Idon't know about this Avant is primarily based on Firefox :)

bksening
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 2010 build1
IE Version: 8.0

Post by bksening » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:29 am

@dutchdummy, yes you are probably experiencing the "dual-core" feature of Avant 2012: it has built in support for 2 rendering engines, IE/Trident/traditional Avant and Gecko/Firefox/traditional Orca.

If opening many tabs increases the memory usage of the firefox process, it's probably because you are running in firefox mode which is probably why you experience markedly faster rendering. I think the Firefox core for Avant 2012 is the same as FF8 beta, which means it's got the latest and fastest Firefox/Gecko engine and latest JM+TI Javascript engine. That will be significantly and noticeably faster than previous Orca.

But I think it is more correct to say that Avant 2012 is based on both Avant/Trident and Firefox/Gecko, and you can switch rendering modes if there are some older pages that will only look proper in IE mode. I think both the avant and firefox processes will both grow in memory usage if you open many webpages using each respective engine.

Nikata
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 2010 build 16
IE Version: 8

Post by Nikata » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:57 am

:clap: :clap: I like this new version too. really fast and convenient to switch rendering mode.