Why "y" -- That is, why ybrowser.exe?

Discuss Avant Browser. Do not post support requests, bug reports, suggestions for new or improved features, etc. here. Put those in the Help, Bug Reports, and Requests forums, respectively.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Avant Version: 2012 Ult. build 197
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 10.0
Skin: AthenX

Why "y" -- That is, why ybrowser.exe?

Post by notestracker » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:44 pm

I'm somewhat puzzled, intrigued, and curious. ... And while I know that "curiosity killed the cat" am still willing to make a fool of myself by asking this "dumb question" -- so, don't be too hard on me!

In the announcement page "Avant Browser 2010 Build 8 released, July 6th, 2010" at http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 36&t=28073 there's a bullet point that states:
Re-named avanttab.exe to ybrowser.exe for preventing some potential errors related to stability
My question is WHY?

Firstly, why does renaming from avanttab.exe to ANYTHING else prevent any potential stability issues?

Secondly, why was the task named "ybrowser.exe" when it's plain to see from a simple Web search such as http://www.google.com/search?q=ybrowser%2Eexe that this task name has already been taken by the likes of Yahoo!

I reckon that the task should be renamed again (before it gets set in concrete) to, say, "AvantBrowserTab.exe" or something similar. I don't care exactly what it's called, just that to me "ybrowser.exe" is quite a strange choice.

Certainly it should begin with "a" so that in Windows Task Manager all the Avant tasks appear close together (not with "avanttab.exe" and "ybrowser.exe" at the opposite ends of the Task Manager list). Having "ybrowser.exe" so far away from "avanttab.exe" is in this sense very awkward/cumbersome.

Your comments/reaction?
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
http://notestracker.com/ and http://notestracker.net/

rangerbob
Avant Version:

Re: Why "y" -- That is, why ybrowser.exe?

Post by rangerbob » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:01 am

The ybrowser is why I’m using my IE8 again. I’ve completely uninstalled the Avant. The 2010 series was more trouble than it was worth (free).

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Avant Version: 2012 Ult. build 197
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 10.0
Skin: AthenX

Post by notestracker » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:38 am

Yes, Avant 2010 has been a bit troublesome. Actually, I was surprised when the Avant 11.9 Beta suddenly became Avant 2010 production version, I think that they jumped the gun and should have done some more testing, maybe a month or so of extra effort. Doing things like changing the basic task names after production release is a no-no!

Nevertheless, I still really DO like Avant Browser and plan to stick with it.

This is despite some reasonably serious issues still awaiting resolution (such as one of my own, see http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 92#p169392 which is causing me to stay back on Avant 11.7 Build 46 until it's fixed).

It's a good example of the maxim "No gain without pain" I suppose! Despite being an old codger, I'm still doing application design and development for clients, and fully understand the complexities of doing a major design revamp as Avant 2010 certainly is. I'm sure it will be well worth it in the end, once things stabilize.
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
http://notestracker.com/ and http://notestracker.net/

bksening
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 2010 build1
IE Version: 8.0

Post by bksening » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:35 am

notestracker wrote:
Re-named avanttab.exe to ybrowser.exe for preventing some potential errors related to stability
My question is WHY? Firstly, why does renaming from avanttab.exe to ANYTHING else prevent any potential stability issues?
Yes, I would also very much like an answer to this question!

ABman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8

Post by ABman » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:09 am

I have no idea where the name ybrowser comes from but I do know that 2010 used to give out the following error message when using RoboForm:
Draw your own conclusions!

E02:Roboform cannot get long EXE path - 'C:\Program Files\Avant
Browser\ybrowser.exe': The system cannot find the file specified. (2)

bksening
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 2010 build1
IE Version: 8.0

Post by bksening » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:30 am

Thanks ABman for that very interesting related info, but actually, isn't asking for answers from Avant devs or staff much better than drawing our own conclusions?

As well, I just noticed, why does the Avant 2010 Build 8 updates page here:
http://www.avantbrowser.com/new.html

have 2 fewer update points that the forum post mentioned by notestracker:
http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 36&t=28073

The "www" main page seems to be a word for word copy of the forum post but is missing:
* [Fix] Being unable to switch language by using ctrl+shift
* Re-named avanttab.exe to ybrowser.exe for preventing some potential errors related to stability

I guess this is another "WHY" question.....

Patr100
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Patr100 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:45 pm

Argree completely with the OP
Senseless and cumbersome change for change sake making AB user experience worse not better..
And no answer nor justification from the Devs.

adrienne0914
Windows Version: Vista
Avant Version: 11.7
IE Version: 7.0

Post by adrienne0914 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:21 pm

i wish i had never upgraded. if i have several tabs open, i now have 5-6 instances of ybrowser.exe running and slowing my computer down. whatever the reason for the change, the AB experience is definitely not improved. i'm going to Firefox until this is worked out...

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:18 pm

You can downgrade or use firefox or what ever browser you want to til there is a stable version .I to am useing firefox til something good happens :shifty:

snoochie
Windows Version: 7
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: 9 beta

Post by snoochie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:55 pm

AXEMAN wrote:You can downgrade or use firefox or what ever browser you want to til there is a stable version .I to am useing firefox til something good happens :shifty:
Haha.. I prefer Chrome :D

CARLOS MIDINET
Avant Version:

Post by CARLOS MIDINET » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:43 pm

Definitely I can't understand, I am getting full issues with recent AB versions with ybrowser, I really love Avant, but I has to back to 11.7 because some web site appear as not found error. Why is developer doing all this to us?? . I want AB stable and working again please !!.
CEA

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:06 am

CARLOS MIDINET wrote:Definitely I can't understand, I am getting full issues with recent AB versions with ybrowser, I really love Avant, but I has to back to 11.7 because some web site appear as not found error. Why is developer doing all this to us?? . I want AB stable and working again please !!.
What's the error? Could you show a screenshot?
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

taranteddy
Windows Version: xp
Avant Version: v11.7b16
IE Version: v7

Post by taranteddy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:55 pm

Are you sure Avant renamed one of it's task (exe) to ybrowser? That's nuts. ybrowser is a YAHOO process.
w w w.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/ybrowser/
w w w.processlibrary.com/directory/files/ybrowser/20401/

On a side note: I used to like Avant until I started installing higher versions/builds. Now surfing is painfully slow. I use Opera and Firefox more now until Avant resolves its own issues.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jasmine » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:14 am

taranteddy, you don't like ybrowser.exe for what? What does the painfully slow refer to?
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:24 pm

Jasmine y browser is the cause of most problems you know this i would hate to think you don't know find a way to get rid of y browser permently alot of people are silently leaving the site.When we didnot have y browser it avant was more stable.I am a admin at a underground site for years now i now what i am saying if i had access to the board i would be 100 percent sure.I further more i am not sure if anderson is even doing anything and he had a team how could it go so bad so fast anyone could of made that post about 2011 his name and avatar can be coppied .Jasmine i don't mean this towards you have done a very very great job i guess i am just venting if you could see things from a members eye's .Something is very wrong it just doenot add up. PLEASE ALL MEMBERS READ AND POST WHAT YOU THINK . :problem: :problem:

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jasmine » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:54 am

Thanks AXEMAN for these words. Anderson dosen't really have a team. The truth is Anderson is always definitely the only one owning and busy with the browser. Everyone comes and goes.It is normal. For this moment we're still around(Could I be the forever person sticking around :)? Uncertainty),but we still see new faces appear.
Come back to this topic,for my part, the most issue is the page area sometimes sticks to the desktop, randamly it loses focus, but regarding the memory issue, doesn't the memory leak issue in 11.7.46 go away? And what if compare the multiple processes in Avant with those in Chrome? Anderson is applying himself for improving the performance. I'm sure you'll see the improvemant. BTW,expect ardent users joining us testing the alpha version in the near future.Helpful suggtions and ideas preferably in detailed are very welcomed.

jyao
Avant Version:

Post by jyao » Wed May 25, 2011 11:11 pm

i had used Avent for many years. "ybrowser.exe" causes lots of problems. when i closed a tab, Avent froze. even end task the application in task manager doesn't work, must end process of ybrowser.exe. i am so disappointed and completely uninstall Avent, and using Firefox and Chrome, they are perfect.

Anderson
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Anderson » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:32 pm

Sorry, we didn't make this issue clear.

The reason we use ybrowser.exe is because of Adobe Flash.

For some websites, Adobe Flash won't load content in older versions of Avant. Finally we found out Adobe Flash defined some exe names inside it's ocx file:

iepreview.exe msn6 msn ybrowser winword pptview powerpnt excel netscape AOL iexplore explorer iexplore.exe

We can't name the tab process to AOL, msn, explorer, netscape etc. The best we can choose is ybrowser.exe

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Post by mbrazil » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:55 am

Anderson wrote:We can't name the tab process to AOL, msn, explorer, netscape etc. The best we can choose is ybrowser.exe
There's something that still doesn't make sense: earlier versions of Avant (11.x) didn't spawn multiple iterations of any of it's processes like the current and recent versions do with ybrowser.exe.

Mike

phbair
Windows Version: XP, SP3
Avant Version: 2012 Build 8
IE Version: N/A

Post by phbair » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:03 pm

I know the ybrowser problem is forcing me to another browser, at least on my portables. It does not seem to affect my desktop model as much; but whenever I have Avant tabs open on my Netbook or laptop, the computer sounds like an air conditioner, and the ybrowser processes are at the top of the Mem Usage list of Task Manager's Processes tab. Performance rapidly degrades when multiple tabs/ybrowser are open. Why isn't this problem being fixed? It's been observed now for over a year!