A tarnished reputation

Discuss Avant Browser. Do not post support requests, bug reports, suggestions for new or improved features, etc. here. Put those in the Help, Bug Reports, and Requests forums, respectively.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Browser Peeper
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP 3
Avant Version: Ultimate 2014 Build 2
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: IE 8
Skin: AthenX

A tarnished reputation

Post by Browser Peeper » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:42 am

I have never understood why some software developers believe that it is perfectly fine to release certain applications when there are major flaws in those programs. This includes the release of "buggy" versions of Avant Browser. A perfect example is Avant Browser Version 2010 build 7 which has problems significant enough so as to cause me to take it off of my computer and replace it with an older version.
I know of no other industry that can get away with distributing to the general public their products before those products are completely ready. If I ran a software company, I would never allow my reputation to be tarnished by the release of a faulty, underdeveloped and problem causing application such as the particular version 2010 build 7 of Avant Browser.

krgh
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows XP SP3
Avant Version: 10.52
IE Version: 8

Re: A tarnished reputation

Post by krgh » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:04 am

Browser Peeper wrote:I have never understood why some software developers believe that it is perfectly fine to release certain applications when there are major flaws in those programs. This includes the release of "buggy" versions of Avant Browser. A perfect example is Avant Browser Version 2010 build 7 which has problems significant enough so as to cause me to take it off of my computer and replace it with an older version.
I know of no other industry that can get away with distributing to the general public their products before those products are completely ready. If I ran a software company, I would never allow my reputation to be tarnished by the release of a faulty, underdeveloped and problem causing application such as the particular version 2010 build 7 of Avant Browser.
Dont say any of those above words. Or u may be nammed rational, centrist or something else. Who knows u may also be banned too. I was named recently for showing my frustration.

BE CAREFULL HERE.

Regards
Gururaja

ABman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8

Post by ABman » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:59 am

Browser Peeper, well said, my feelings exactly, alas.

Tekk
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43

Post by Tekk » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:38 am

WHAT ? !! People get in trouble and possibly banned for expressing frustrations around here ? ! !

I've been away too long. That can't be. I don't believe it. That would be communist!

And seriously, I don't know what's going on. I switched my operating system from Vista to Windows 7 back in February while I was on my way out of the hospital, and I have been so busy, I haven't upgraded Avant Browser since I downloaded 11.7 build 43 in February-ish. I have been really busy, sick, and in and out of the hospital over and over. I didn't even know that assigned development name of Avant Browser had changed to Avant Browser 2010 build 1-7(?), 8, etc. This is the first time I have visited the forum since February (or earlier) when I downloaded this old version. I never delete my old .exe files, that's why I ran out of space on the old XP hard drive that failed on me April 2009, right in the middle of an attempted online backup session, which never pulled off. I'm going to have to change my hoarding habits and come up with a cutoff date for deleting old executable setup files, no matter how big they keep making hard drives, and easy interface external USB, Firewire, and eSATA connectable disk drives. They all fail eventually just like a trusted wrist-watch, they don't build them like the old Swiss watchmakers who believed that workmanship should last for eternity, to be handed down to your children's children.

Seems I have a lot of reading to do. I don't know anything about this new AvantBrowser. Is it a really "new" browser? I'm still trying to decide if I want to use version 2 or 3 of Thunderbird Mozilla email client, when version 3 is not a full email client in my opinion, and version 2 will not get security enhancements anymore. Everything is becoming all eyecandy and flash, all pre-configured, leaving users no ability to set and tweak their applications the way we used to prefer them. I'm installing SeaMonkey just to try out the free email client, not even interested in the browser at all. I have spent my quarterly software budget on must purchase software, otherwise I'd purchase the Bat email client and forget about it. I'll go Orca before I'll use a Mozilla gecko browser, they just don't make them like the original Avant and Orca, I hope this new Avant isn't too far from the original to be recognized.

Best Wishes

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Avant Version: 2012 Ult. build 197
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 10.0

Post by notestracker » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:36 am

As mentioned in other posts, I was quite surprised when Avant 11.8 Beta (with significant issues) suddenly became Avant 2010 (production release).

And with the various subsequent builds of Avant 2010 there are still significant issues, one of which ("Open In New Window" not fully working as it did in the prior release) has been significant enough for me to keep going back to the stable final release 11.7 Build 46 after trying each new Avant 2010 build.

But I still like Avant Browser enough to keep trying each new build, at some time and pain expense, in the expectation (and hope) that it will be fixed. ... Pity that this wasn't done while it was still at the 11.8 Beta stage though.

When that eventually occurs, I'll make a donation to help compensate the long-suffering developer. (Or is that "developer team" these days?) I'm still doing application design and development in my senior years, and have empathy with any developer!
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
http://notestracker.com/ and http://notestracker.net/

flowrush
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Win7.64bit.HP
Avant Version: 2010b122
IE Version: 8.0.6001

Post by flowrush » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:44 pm

I personally think the problem is not enough transparent feedback from the developer or development team regarding the direction of Avant. Or moreso, the fact that Anderson doesn't create dialogue with people who suggest things about Avant that need change or do not need change, and does them without us knowing when to expect it. As has been stated, there are many outstanding issues, which maybe the developer does not see as outstanding, but the general public does not approve of. As you can see Anderson is a Chinese developer and rarely frequents these English forums. It seems in my view Jasmine (though I could be wrong) is the only intermediary for passing on feedback from us to him and his team. In any case, as much as I disagree with a 2010 versioning instead of the original 12, my concern os more about the lack of speed in addressing issues, or lack of answers on whether issues will be addressed or not, (like my whole multi-row fixed width issue, or the url alias issue).

I just wish Anderson would get on here for once and speak to us. It would be a breath of fresh air to hear from someone who created one of my favorite browsers (once upon a time).

ABman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8

Post by ABman » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:07 pm

flowrush wrote:I just wish Anderson would get on here for once and speak to us. It would be a breath of fresh air to hear from someone who created one of my favorite browsers (once upon a time).
Ditto.

krgh
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows XP SP3
Avant Version: 10.52
IE Version: 8

Post by krgh » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:08 pm

flowrush wrote: I just wish Anderson would get on here for once and speak to us.
I would love to talk to anderson at least once. Man those days b4 were gr8 when we used to talk him & he used to solve issues in days. Now i dont know what has masked him away from us.

My 1st request to him to remove AB 2010 from stable release & move it to Beta/Alpha & place AB 11.7 Build 46 as stable. Then everything else as he wishes

Hope our prayers are answered.

Gururaja

Browser Peeper
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP 3
Avant Version: Ultimate 2014 Build 2
Default engine: Firefox

Post by Browser Peeper » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:11 am

krgh wrote:
flowrush wrote: I just wish Anderson would get on here for once and speak to us.
I would love to talk to anderson at least once. Man those days b4 were gr8 when we used to talk him & he used to solve issues in days. Now i dont know what has masked him away from us.

My 1st request to him to remove AB 2010 from stable release & move it to Beta/Alpha & place AB 11.7 Build 46 as stable. Then everything else as he wishes

Hope our prayers are answered.

Gururaja

I have a theory: I'm wondering if Anderson Che sold Avant Browser to another concern. This would certainly explain some things.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:19 pm

I think he should focus on avant til it works right see he is doing orca to so he would have to split his time between both

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Avant Version: 2012 Ult. build 197
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 10.0

Re: A tarnished reputation - big jumps in build numbers!

Post by notestracker » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:14 pm

I'm still sitting on Avant version 11.7 (build 46) until such time as some of the basic serious issues are fixed. In my case, particularly the "Open In New Window" bug on 64-bit Windows 7 is holding me back, but I would dearly love to get onto Avant 2010 hoping it really does fix the Avant 11 crashes that occur with too many tabs open.

I notice that in the last couple of days (late July 2010) Avant 2010 builds 101 and 102 have been released, and that's a HUGE jump from the previous build number of "8" -- why so? It's not that the build numbers in themselves are all that significant, but this big jump is rather unusual if not a little unsettling. Which is part of the "tarnished reputation" theme of this discussion thread, is it not?

Does this big jump indicate that the developers have done a massive amount of work in the last few weeks and come out with many "internal" new builds that were never released, but perhaps should have been so that we could all assess them and give the necessary feedback?

BTW, in another post somebody referred to reverting from Avant 2010 build 101 (or was it build 102) back to "build 43" ... Was there ever an Avant 2010 build 43 released to the public, or perhaps that person meant reverting back to Avant 11.7 build 43 or some such thing?
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
http://notestracker.com/ and http://notestracker.net/

ReleaseRoderick
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: WinXP Pro
Avant Version: AV11.7build46forever
IE Version: IE.8

Post by ReleaseRoderick » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:20 am

Was there ever an Avant 2010 build 43 released to the public, or perhaps that person meant reverting back to Avant 11.7 build 43 or some such thing?
It was as you conclude, 11.7 b43.
I stay with 11.7 b46.SR till l know who runs the show now.
It would be nice if Anderson came in to clarify.
Love,Light and Peace
ian