Avant no longer the fantstic browser it used to be!

Discuss Avant Browser. Do not post support requests, bug reports, suggestions for new or improved features, etc. here. Put those in the Help, Bug Reports, and Requests forums, respectively.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

gabbott
Windows Version: XP Home SP3
Avant Version: 11.6 build 20
IE Version: 7

Avant no longer the fantstic browser it used to be!

Post by gabbott » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:36 pm

As I sit here trying to figure out my third Avant issue in less than a year (dealing with Gmail and now Google Calendar), I am reflecting on the good old days when Avant just worked and worked fantastic and I told all of my friends about it - and they tried it... and loved it as much as me. :thumbup:

Being able to save all my book marks and load them from anywhere was WONDERFUL! Being able to have multiple views open at the same time was very convenient. I just can't beleive that Avant has become enough of a pain that I am now considering unistalling it, but I am at the end of my rope. Since the last few 'upgrades', it's been nothing but one set back after another and I'm tiring of using work arounds just to make Avant run correctly again. :x

First the issue with images not showing up in Gmail and a pethetic work around of going into security settings and setting it to display mixed content. I'm not sure if this as only an Avant issue, but it never happened when I ran IE.

Next came the button issue which made the buttons across the top of the Gmail screen show up in a column rather than horizontally. Again, never happend with IE.

Finally, this week, Google Calendar has stopped allowing me to edit it - instead opening in read-only mode. Even in that mode, Avant will crash after clicking on a calendar item just to read it. I found a work around, which involved editing the registry (again), but I'm tired of having to force my computer to work with Avant. Very frustrating. Very pathetic. :(

So Avant has been a solid, trusted friend since one of the very first versions and now, in frustration, I'm ready to click the remove button and flush all my years of joy into my recycle bin! :cry:

Formerly satisfied Avant user and donor...

Greg Abbott

Moved to AB Discussion. -André

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Re: Avant no longer the fantstic browser it used to be!

Post by AXEMAN » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:40 pm

go back to Archive is at: http://avant.it-mate.co.uk

That build is: http://avant.it-mate.co.uk/dl/Avant_Bro ... ild_46.exe it works the new version of avant comeing is suppose to have all fixed :)

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:48 am

If you require support then please ask - the team here are more than happy to support any issues that you may experience on your system. But just moaning and complaining about your problems with Avant and especially comments like "pathetic" are completely unnecessary.

.:Volunteer support staff (regular user):.
I am not a member of the Avant / Orca development team
Please search this forum / the Wiki before posting questions
Forum Rules | Frequently Asked Questions | Active Topics

flowrush
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Win7.64bit.HP
Avant Version: 2010b122
IE Version: 8.0.6001

Post by flowrush » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:28 am

I think moaning and complaining about problems that are purely Avant's fault by design are well warranted, even though his expression of it is vulgar. He is not alone in his frustration and every day that goes by without even an Avant 12 alpha or beta is just that much easier it becomes for people to switch to something else, especially considering how long these problems, memory leaks included, have been around. I too can remember the early days of Avant when, despite bugs, it was a very capable and snappy responsive browser that seemed to work just fine. Then came the unwelcom configuration changes and more and bigger problems supplanting the little one's which were fixed. And without any kind of ETA on 12 people have no inspiration to draw from other than holding out seemingly forever.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:58 pm

It won't be long no need to make him or them hurry you want it tottaly revamped just give it time you will see.Well you know u can use IE, FIREFOX , OPERA . AND JUST WAIT SURLEY YOU CAN DO THAT RATHER THAN WINE . I donot mean this one person rather everyone. :)

angeldust
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2010 Bld 127
IE Version: 8

Post by angeldust » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:52 pm

And you don't want an Avant version like some thing made by Microsoft do you?
To be Truly Loved is to Live, I HAVE Lived. Image

gabbott
Windows Version: XP Home SP3
Avant Version: 11.6 build 20
IE Version: 7

Post by gabbott » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:06 am

flowrush wrote:...even though his expression of it is vulgar."
I didn't think I was vulgar. :problem:
kudos wrote:If you require support then please ask - the team here are more than happy to support any issues that you may experience on your system. But just moaning and complaining about your problems with Avant and especially comments like "pathetic" are completely unnecessary.
I do stand by my statements though, it is very frustrating to see such a great product seemingly hit a brick wall and not move forward for an extended period. I have not sought support because the forums are full of people raising the same issues and none of them are getting a true 'fix'. I'll patiently wait for the new version and give it a fair shake. In the mean time, Google Chrome is working nicely for me, albeit with limited capabilities compared to Avant.

Greg

darth
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: Avant 11_0 Build 46
Default engine: trident
IE Version: 10
Skin: default

Post by darth » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:11 pm

Greg, as a former satisfied user and "donor", Give Avant 11_0 Build 46 a try as suggested in AXEMAN'S post.

I find it to be pretty stable/etc.

Best regards.
Dell Precision 360 Work Staton XP 32/64 bits