Avant Development Update

Discuss Avant Browser. Do not post support requests, bug reports, suggestions for new or improved features, etc. here. Put those in the Help, Bug Reports, and Requests forums, respectively.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Avant Development Update

Post by statm1 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:47 pm

From the Avant Force Blog:
First off, you should all know that a development cycle is conducted to produce a stable, bug free, final release. Like all software, it is better to take the time to get a release the best that it can be instead of rushing it out causing problems for users. We know you have been waiting for a very long time for this release and we really appreciate your patience. As with any project, this one has had its share of delays but the team developing this next version of Avant Browser is taking the time to get it right. We regret these delays but they were necessary and we hope you will like what is coming.

Since January 09, when the next version codenamed “Avant 12“ was originally announced, there has been a lot of work done to completely overhaul Avant from the ground up. Everything you know and love about Avant will remain however it will look and feel much better. The biggest change you will notice is a completely revamped interface with a whole new skinning system. It will still use the Trident rendering engine from the currently installed version of Internet Explorer. But also a lot of things had to be done to fix the source of the problems plaguing the current release, Avant Browser 11.x, and that is the kernel(core) of Avant, it handles the internal workings such as memory usage, stability, and operation.

Final plans are still being decided upon but due to how long it has taken to develop Avant 12, the project may be broken up into two releases. How they will be broken up and when these releases are coming out are not known right now.
-- Matt --

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Re: Avant Development Update

Post by Sara » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:40 am

A whole new skinning system? I hope it will be possible to convert existing skins as it has in the past--I've used the same skin for years!

He-hee :mrgreen:

statm1

Post by statm1 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:20 pm

Oh me to I have been using one of Horni's skins for years.. Anyway, it hasn't been discussed in awhile but the last I heard the skinning system will be similar to how Firefox themes are made. I would have to confirm but I think there was talk about a converter that will convert old Avant skins to work with the new system.
-- Matt --

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:51 pm

statm1

Post by statm1 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:56 pm

Thanks for blogging about it Steve.. and I thought you knew but Anderson did hire a few devs to work with him a year or three ago. Last I heard they developed the fairly new AvantFind site. I don't know if they are still employed with Avant Force or not though.
-- Matt --

Dr. Jekyll
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version: Avant 2013 build 112
Default engine: Avant Browser (FireFox)
IE Version: IE 8
Skin: Aluminium

Post by Dr. Jekyll » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:03 pm

statm1 wrote:there was talk about a converter that will convert old Avant skins to work with the new system.
...that would be wonderful :clap:

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MysteryFCM » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:26 pm

statm1 wrote:Thanks for blogging about it Steve.. and I thought you knew but Anderson did hire a few devs to work with him a year or three ago. Last I heard they developed the fairly new AvantFind site. I don't know if they are still employed with Avant Force or not though.
I didn't know, no (nae bugger tells us admin's nothing, lol)

statm1

Post by statm1 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:23 pm

Yea its usually a need to know thing and Admins most of the time just don't need to know.
-- Matt --

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MysteryFCM » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:45 pm

hehe ;)

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:59 pm

Well that sounds great boys and girls :thumbup:

Steves.Place
Windows Version: XPHome-SP3-dpi-150%-1280x1024
Avant Version: Current V11.7: B-46
IE Version: IE8-Occasional Use.
Location: Ok . . . Canada. The best free nation on the planet.

Post by Steves.Place » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:58 am

Ho hum, I feel I just have to add my 2 knutz here as well. *grins* I have been using windows traditional skin since I started using Avant some 4,5 or 6 years ago. I tried them all, but I like a traditional light gray skin, I think I see all the labels better/clearer with that.

Also, Take as much time as you developers need to put out the next version. After all you grant us with probably the very best browser on the net and don't charge us a single knut for it.

I do hope it stays that way as too many programs that used to be free or have free versions have gone to charging for them and don't even offer a limited free version any more. Frankly,that sucks.

It is still a wonder to me that Zone Alarm still has a free version. Norton Anti-virus used to have a free version but not any more.

Anyway, thanks guys for all your hard work and efforts to provide the best browser experiences with both Avant and Orca, for all of us as well as friendly, helpful advise and directions when we ask for it.
"I think I think therefore, I think I am; I think?"
Image \(Image)¿(-)/ MS Vista = Image
Altogether now, everyone do the MS Vista headbang!
(S)
teadily (T)wisting (E)very (V)ariable (E)ncountered☻

statm1

Post by statm1 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:01 pm

Thanks for your comments Steve.. I dont think you will have to worry about having to pay for Avant. I can't really think of any browsers that you have to pay for anymore. I believe Opera was the last one and even they are free now so.
-- Matt --

Aurihazuma
Avant Version:

Post by Aurihazuma » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:02 pm

The new v12 sounds very intriguing.. I still prefer to use the old groups listing over the bookmarks function due to having over 4000 URLs saved.. Will my same groups file still be accessible?? It's rather useful and important to me.. And BTW.. Thanks for always having a great, lightweight, and fast browser..

Namaste...

Aurih.

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:36 pm

Aurihazuma wrote:The new v12 sounds very intriguing.. I still prefer to use the old groups listing over the bookmarks function due to having over 4000 URLs saved.. Will my same groups file still be accessible?? It's rather useful and important to me.. And BTW.. Thanks for always having a great, lightweight, and fast browser..

Namaste...

Aurih.
This is rather old news... See here for the latest, http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28680